February 2019 Weather Observations and Discussion Part 2

snow_wizard

Guest CulverJosh

East wind density has diminished greatly. Next....

Yep, those east winds sure are amazing around here.  My friend told me that in Oregon City right by the water he recorded 26.8 on his weather station overnight.  Pretty impressive for late Feb.

No, butt his forecast highs for Sunday/Monday are probably too cold.

This must be quite an awkward time for you after years of railing him for his runaway warm bias.

That is a thing, and usually most noticeable April to October. Sort of like yours. B)

Yeah, not in the airport era. But Portland has seen subfreezing highs in March in 1960, 1906, 1896, 1870, 1867, and 1865. Several of which featured sunshine.

Another real historic benchmark for our climate is April 4, 1875. Portland had a 40/32 day with east winds and dry weather. That same airmass produced sea level snow in Sacramento.

Certainly says something that we're having to go back to the 1800s.

A forum for the end of the world.

That is a thing, and usually most noticeable April to October. Sort of like yours. B)

Indeed. Every year I just keep forecasting warmth for spring and summer and every year I get ***** slapped by persistent cold anomalies and underperforming heat events. Sigh...

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Guest CulverJosh

I wasn't aware about Zaffino, but as for Pierce it makes sense for a radio shock jock impersonating a meteorologist.

Yes.  Evening of, I am pretty sure he was still forecasting 3-6"

I agree. The placement of the blocking is more important than the overall index numbers.

It's just funny because looking at all the major indices, you'd never guess the past month would have ended up so cold across such a large area.

Definitely agree.

It drives me crazy how so many people live and die by these numbers and indices without even understanding what it is they represent, or even looking at a hemispheric 500mb map.

Go back to the LIA, for example, and the current PNA index would be useless because the Pacific Hadley Cell was so narrow and the NPAC surf zone/polar front was displaced so equatorward that it would likely register as neutral PNA over 90% of the time, with a very southward suppressed jet.

Past events have no bearing on the track of future storms. The atmosphere isn't keeping a score. Seattle, Portland, and Eugene all have the same odds of being the winner in the next big event as they did a month ago.

I tend to lean this way too. Time is not a variable in probability..if you roll snakeyes, you’re just as (un)likely to do it again on the next roll. (I think a lot of progress could be made in theoretical physics if we replaced the concept of flowing time with an integrated entropy of sorts).

Though low frequency/climate tendencies preclude 100% randomness to weather patterns, it can still be safely presumed that random variability does rule the day in the shorter term.

• Like 1

IMO, the debate over whether something is “due” or not conflates and/or welds statistical probability based on historical tendencies with quantitative, mathematically-derived probability rooted in the sea of chaos.

It’s all perspective-based, and there’s no way to prove or disprove either take.

• Like 1

What do we know about the 1865, 1867 and 1870 events?

I don’t know about those events in particular, but keep in mind that was still the LIA (IE: the coldest climate period in at least 10,200 years). The Hadley Cell was narrow, the climatological polar front/surf zone was displaced southward by almost 5 degrees latitude across the NPAC, and the downstream wavetrain was an absolute juggernaut..massive blocking over Greenland/NE Canada on an almost annual basis would constantly boot that vortex into Western Canada.

Humanity as a whole caught a lucky break..we were very close to glacial inception. We missed it narrowly.

Sun angles melted the snow off the grassy knoll

If there had even been a chance of snow that day, LHO would have been too preoccupied with checking the NAM 32km, NAM 12km, NAM 3km, GFS, ICON, JMA, UKMET, EURO, NAVGEM, GEM, WRF, EPS, GEFS, HRRR, RPM and obsessively refreshing the local radar loop to be blowing anyone’s head off that day.

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Hasn’t been any snowflakes here since 2pm, temp 38 right now, just watching the radar and satellite hoping for the best but I’m not expecting much of anything where I’m at

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

This is making the facebook rounds in MN and WI... came up numerous times today.    Some places in MN and WI have had 4-5 feet of snow in February alone.   That has just smashed records. 

52750014_2302106349835627_24602295428584

This is for Oneida County WI... 

52638772_2314053865272425_17996282766924

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**