Jump to content

Pacific Northwest Weather - May 2023


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

I ve never been to bend in the winter. Hate it in the summer, what a tourist trap. It’s lovely in autumn though. 
 

My co worker lives in Sunriver and absolutely loves it. 

It’s really not that bad, but my wife and I also generally work Saturday-Tuesday and have Wed-Fri off. Easier to get out on trails and water midweek. 

  • Like 1

Bend, OR

Elevation: 3550'

 

Snow History:

Nov: 1"

Dec: .5"

Jan: 1.9"

Feb: 12.7"

Mar: 1.0"

Total: 17.1"

 

2016/2017: 70"

2015/2016: 34"

Average: ~25"

 

2017/2018 Winter Temps

Lowest Min: 1F on 2/23

Lowest Max: 23F on 12/24, 2/22

Lows <32: 87

Highs <32: 13

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

GEFS and EPS both showing highs in the 70s for the foreseeable future. I wouldn’t be surprised if Phil is right about this lasting through Memorial Day.

8B7D7B4C-5095-4DF5-BF51-A6A49471E3D8.png

CE813BB9-52CE-43A9-9DA5-2194E8B9957D.png

9E9B3260-4AFE-42F4-9506-BA65C321CABA.png

33019B45-8862-4CA8-9578-BCCB78946CA5.png

  • Popcorn 1
  • Sad 1

2024 Warm Season Stats

Number of 80+ days - 21

Number of 85+ days - 17

Number of 90+ days - 3

Number of 95+ days - 2 (Warmest so far - 96)

Number of 60+ lows - 1

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Cold Snap said:

GEFS and EPS both showing highs in the 70s for the foreseeable future. I wouldn’t be surprised if Phil is right about this lasting through Memorial Day.

8B7D7B4C-5095-4DF5-BF51-A6A49471E3D8.png

CE813BB9-52CE-43A9-9DA5-2194E8B9957D.png

9E9B3260-4AFE-42F4-9506-BA65C321CABA.png

33019B45-8862-4CA8-9578-BCCB78946CA5.png

12Z EPS also keeps the ridging centered over the west for the entire run.   Those ensemble mean surface temps tend to go towards normal in the long range but would likely be warmer in reality if the 500mb pattern stays ridgy.

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500_anom-1683547200-1683547200-1684843200-10.gif

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-t850_anom_stream-1683547200-1683547200-1684843200-10.gif

  • Sun 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

May 2018 redux? 

  • Sad 1
  • Sun 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

I agree... guessing this summer will be somewhat similar to 2019.    I also think the water off west coast will warm up significantly by the end of the month given the pattern coming up.

They will warm up temporarily, but the subsurface signature is very deep/entrenched now, so the pattern in mid-June will probably erase most of the surface warming that occurs this month.

We are not returning to a +PDO/+NPMM signature this year. This ain’t a 2015-style El Niño. Would take 10+ months of sustained +PNA/+TNH patterns to flip the PDO back, and that type of evolution is not in the cards this year.

 

foto26446a4f1f801ef3b3d1564dea31df66.png
"Western troughing literally kills people at this time of year. And in the most gruesome of ways."
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Noticing it’s 66 at PDX and 53 at SLE. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

12Z EPS also keeps the ridging centered over the west for the entire run.   Those ensemble mean surface temps tend to go towards normal in the long range but would likely be warmer in reality if the 500mb pattern stays ridgy.

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500_anom-1683547200-1683547200-1684843200-10.gif

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-t850_anom_stream-1683547200-1683547200-1684843200-10.gif

Heat dome is early this year. My garden is going to go bonkers

  • Like 1
  • Sick 1

PWS: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWAPORTA220

2023-2024 Snow Total: 18" (6 events)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Phil said:

They will warm up temporarily, but the subsurface signature is very deep/entrenched now, so the pattern in mid-June will probably erase most of the surface warming that occurs this month.

We are not returning to a +PDO/+NPMM signature this year. This ain’t a 2015-style El Niño. Would take 10+ months of sustained +PNA/+TNH patterns to flip the PDO back, and that type of evolution is not in the cards this year.

 

2015 was off the charts in terms of warm water off the coast.

The current SSTA map looks more similar at this point to 2009.

2009 (1).png

  • Like 3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

2015 was off the charts in terms of warm water off the coast.

The current SSTA map looks more similar at this point to 2009.

2009 (1).png

Definitely some near term similarities to 2009, however that one evolved in an extremely west-based/modoki El Niño, which this event is very unlikely to be. Hadley/Walker system was quite different by midsummer.

I think 1957, 1965, and 1972 are better matches in the Pacific overall, though none are perfect (lots of divergence in IO/Atlantic sector in particular).

Never thought I would be the one to argue in favor of old/outdated analogs, but this really is a bonafide cold phase/EPAC-emergent event. Crazy to see.

  • Like 1
foto26446a4f1f801ef3b3d1564dea31df66.png
"Western troughing literally kills people at this time of year. And in the most gruesome of ways."
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1957 followed a 3 year -ENSO cycle and was a very good match in the Pacific. Would be stupid to use it in isolation but it’s the type of pattern I’d look for.

IMG_3295.png

foto26446a4f1f801ef3b3d1564dea31df66.png
"Western troughing literally kills people at this time of year. And in the most gruesome of ways."
Link to comment
Share on other sites

And 1957 continues to have presence on the CPC Z500 supernsemble blend. And has for months now.

IMG_3383.gifIMG_3382.gif

foto26446a4f1f801ef3b3d1564dea31df66.png
"Western troughing literally kills people at this time of year. And in the most gruesome of ways."
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Checked out 1957-58, 1965-66, and 1972-73. @Phil

Up here the latter two were pretty decent. 1957-58 was a regional dud. Very wet at times though. 

1965-66 looks like it had some kind of arctic outbreak in Mid-December, SLE even had about 7.5" of snow that month, and Silver Falls had a 30/7 day. Silver Falls also recorded 15.1" of snow in March, as well as a low of 21 pretty late in the month followed by a high of 80 a few days later. 

1972-73 of course had one of the all-time arctic outbreaks in December, but also a cold January with some single digit lows. All three of those years were pretty wet in December/January. 

February 1958 had a +7.7F departure at Silver Falls. 

  • Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Checked out 1957-58, 1965-66, and 1972-73. @Phil

Up here the latter two were pretty decent. 1957-58 was a regional dud. Very wet at times though. 

1965-66 looks like it had some kind of arctic outbreak in Mid-December, SLE even had about 7.5" of snow that month, and Silver Falls had a 30/7 day. Silver Falls also recorded 15.1" of snow in March, as well as a low of 21 pretty late in the month followed by a high of 80 a few days later. 

1972-73 of course had one of the all-time arctic outbreaks in December, but also a cold January with some single digit lows. All three of those years were pretty wet in December/January. 

February 1958 had a +7.7F departure at Silver Falls. 

My guess is that 80 in March 1966 is an over exposed reading or something because it was only 71 at Salem that day. Looks like SLE measured snowfall every month that winter December-March. 

@TT-SEA would have liked April 1966

https://climate.usu.edu/mapServer/reports/e15daily.php?stn=USW00024232&year=1966&month=4&unit=EN&network=direct:ghcn&sidebar=0

And May.

https://climate.usu.edu/mapServer/reports/e15daily.php?stn=USW00024232&year=1966&month=5&unit=EN&network=direct:ghcn&sidebar=0

 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The 500 hPa anomalies for this one are at least as impressive as the June 2021 heat wave. Both are 4 sigma events with the high centered in almost the exact same spot. This one is bigger and has what I guess you would call a negative tilt (from NW to SE).

Fortunately this one doesn't have as impressive of a 850 hPa anomaly as 2021, much of the warming is dependent on downsloping. The 850 hPa anomalies east of the Cascades are not completely off the charts like they were in that event. Being a month off the solstice probably helps and it looks like the trajectories manage to tap into some colder air from the central Plains. There's also wildfire smoke to contend with that could knock the temps down a bit depending on how much gets pulled into the ridge. 

Overall it's a synoptic setup that would have easily delivered 100s west of the Cascades if it came almost any time in the mid-June through mid-September window. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Sick 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Phil said:

And 1957 continues to have presence on the CPC Z500 supernsemble blend. And has for months now.

IMG_3383.gifIMG_3382.gif

I have been noticing that 1951 has also been frequently on the list.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

New ECMWF weeklies... not much new information except that it might stay warm for most of the rest of May.  

ecmwf-weeklies-avg-namer-z500_anom-1683504000-1683504000-1687478400-20.gif

  • Sad 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Slushy Inch said:

May going to be more like July this year.

At over an inch of rain this would be our wettest July since 2011.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

New ECMWF weeklies... not much new information except that it might stay warm for most of the rest of May.  

ecmwf-weeklies-avg-namer-z500_anom-1683504000-1683504000-1687478400-20.gif

You can think of the “white” spaces as places where negative heights are more likely to exist (since mean 500mb anoms run slightly warm).

Warm pattern in PNW should gradually degrade and come to an end sometime between Memorial Day and the first week of June, if my timing is accurate.

  • Like 1
foto26446a4f1f801ef3b3d1564dea31df66.png
"Western troughing literally kills people at this time of year. And in the most gruesome of ways."
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Interesting…

7BBC9796-4456-48A2-B99F-1A7C69E5B260.png

Sorry neighbor.

  • lol 2

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...