Jump to content

Pacific Northwest Weather - May 2023


Recommended Posts

For SLE this was the 15th coldest February-April period on record, but the 2nd coldest since 1982. For average max temps it was the 8th coldest and coldest average max temp in that period since 1975. Brrrrr.... Now payback time I suppose. 

  • Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the "Things could always be worse category," SLE is at 0.57" of rain on the month now, if they receive no more rain the rest of the month they would still finish outside the top 10 driest. May 2018 had a meager 0.21", the driest May on record was 1992 with 0.05". 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One final fun fact before I retire for the evening. Down here 6 of the top 20 warmest Mays have been since 2014...

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In Texas this morning with a hotel that has no real curtains which seems crazy to me as someone in the NW. So if course I'm up early.

My wife said we had .48 of rain yesterday as of 7:30pm pacific time and was still raining. 

  • Like 5

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Partly to mostly cloudy with a low of 50 this morning. 06z GFS looked a lot more dynamic for the next 7-10 days than previous GFS runs. More like the Euro. A relatively quick spike of some moderate heat then some more thunderstorm chances.

  • Like 3

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Currently light drizzle and 46 degrees. 
.04” so far on the day, 1.46” for the month. 

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yesterday's 0.59" up here was only the second day I've had this year over half an inch. The only other day was 1.04" on February 20. Looks like after this morning the rain will mostly be done for the next 10 days or so.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Rain 1

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, the_convergence_zone said:

Ensembles don’t know what to do with this heat wave yet. The high end numbers are insane for May but the GFS is probably GFSing. 80s likely at KSEA. Duration also unknown. 

1F2F1EA1-729E-4526-9730-84798131973A.png

D39299C3-849E-4CE8-8399-E449393EDAB6.png

Let's see now… GFS, check… control is an extreme outlier, check… mean is nowhere near the control, check… Euro does not agree, check… THROW IT OUT.

  • Like 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

0.09” overnight. Every bit counts!

  • Like 2

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's interesting to see the flow. Normally this flow can produce thunderstorms. With the sun coming out, temperatures will go up, (not in the upper 70's) but it wouldn't need to be very warm to produce some heavy showers and maybe a thunderstorm. Even though the SPC shows thunderstorms further East of the Willamette Valley, I wouldn't discount a stray thunderstorm outside the watch area 🤗⛈️

G18_sector_pnw_GEOCOLOR_24fr_20230506-1228.gif

KRTX - Super-Res Reflectivity 1, 9_26 AM.gif

Screenshot_20230506_093426_Chrome.jpg

CODNEXLAB-NEXRAD-RTX-N0B-20230506-1637-24-100.gif

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Meatyorologist said:

00z is demoralizing. Starting to mentally prepare myself for summer now... it's coming early this year. And it's pissed off.

We'll be racking up the NFL players soon.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Sun 2
  • scream 1
  • Weenie 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

  • Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

 

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

24

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, MossMan said:

49/46 on the day. Currently 48 and still raining! Sooo glad I mowed last evening. 
1.11” so far on the day, 1.21” for the month. 

DBD0EF27-066A-472E-ABDE-E8873BA593AB.jpeg

Trolling me with those deadwood pics. :lol:

Come on brother it’s an easy fix! Don’t have to cut the entire tree but that shit is gonna fall on someone’s head, I assure you.

  • Popcorn 1
  • Weenie 1
foto26446a4f1f801ef3b3d1564dea31df66.png
"Western troughing literally kills people at this time of year. And in the most gruesome of ways."
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

Trolling me with those deadwood pics. :lol:

Come on brother it’s an easy fix! Don’t have to cut the entire tree but that shit is gonna fall on someone’s head, I assure you.

It’s a risk I’m willing to take to keep trolling you for years to come!! 😀

Hard to tell by the pics but they are leaning towards the woods away from my dog fence so really the only danger would be to the thousands of slugs living in that wet area of the woods. 

  • Like 1
  • lol 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Ken in Wood Village said:

It's interesting to see the flow. Normally this flow can produce thunderstorms. With the sun coming out, temperatures will go up, (not in the upper 70's) but it wouldn't need to be very warm to produce some heavy showers and maybe a thunderstorm. Even though the SPC shows thunderstorms further East of the Willamette Valley, I wouldn't discount a stray thunderstorm outside the watch area 🤗⛈️

G18_sector_pnw_GEOCOLOR_24fr_20230506-1228.gif

KRTX - Super-Res Reflectivity 1, 9_26 AM.gif

Screenshot_20230506_093426_Chrome.jpg

CODNEXLAB-NEXRAD-RTX-N0B-20230506-1637-24-100.gif

Yeah, I just noticed these showers on the radar as well. At the least, they may give us some rain this afternoon. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Slushy Inch said:

Odd little backwards moving shortwave causes thunderstorms during continued warmth. Wouldn’t really feel like living in western Washington at this point.image.thumb.png.14d6dcfd764ac211207ba84062ee31d7.png

image.png

OT but man, a month from now that would be the ultimate severe pattern out here. MCS/derecho party. Massive missed opportunity. :( 

Since it’s a pattern associated with poleward transfer of -AAM (+dAAMt/+AAM deposition in tropics) it’s unlikely to repeat. +AAM moat in NH subtropics is here to stay after this +dAAMt event (+ENSO base state now emerging).

Which is good news for the icepu**ies on this forum, but just another screwjob for my region, in a year defined by screwjobs.

/end rant

foto26446a4f1f801ef3b3d1564dea31df66.png
"Western troughing literally kills people at this time of year. And in the most gruesome of ways."
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, MossMan said:

It’s a risk I’m willing to take to keep trolling you for years to come!! 😀

Hard to tell by the pics but they are leaning towards the woods away from my dog fence so really the only danger would be to the thousands of slugs living in that wet area of the woods. 

And it’s not dead…It’s been sick since we bought the place 5yrs ago but it still leafs out each year! Looks like a tree uprooted right next to it and probably caused the root damage. And yeah it’s angled away from danger…Plus my dog is keeping an eye on it. Oh and this slug is trying to escape the impending heat dome by trying to get into the mechanical room under the house! 

96BB056C-62F1-4867-8E1E-E7CDAE96F5A1.jpeg

774A2359-D20F-431A-83A3-CEF5443D0EFF.jpeg

56437B46-E7D4-401B-A94F-D1FE29A0AC33.jpeg

5D6F2423-BB63-4947-964D-E6320AFF38E5.jpeg

182102DC-7FA2-4387-861C-B32DBD0AD1AA.jpeg

Edited by MossMan
  • lol 2
  • Sick 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Basically what we’re seeing here is the establishment of the background El Niño/low pass state, via a high amplitude intraseasonal event. Fascinating stuff.

No looking back after this, El Niño standing wave should be established with high amplitude, canonical AAMz signature. Still will be intraseasonal/MJO activity, but within a +ENSO type low frequency state, for the first time since 2019.

This is top-tier. I’m sure the -dAAMt following AAM peak is underestimated by EPS weeklies, but base state is here to stay.

IMG_3355.png

IMG_3354.png

foto26446a4f1f801ef3b3d1564dea31df66.png
"Western troughing literally kills people at this time of year. And in the most gruesome of ways."
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not a terrible GFS run at all. 

  • Like 2

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

Basically what we’re seeing here is the establishment of the background El Niño/low pass state, via a high amplitude intraseasonal event. Fascinating stuff.

No looking back after this, El Niño standing wave should be established with high amplitude, canonical AAMz signature. Still will be intraseasonal/MJO activity, but within a +ENSO type low frequency state, for the first time since 2019.

This is top-tier. I’m sure the -dAAMt following AAM peak is underestimated by EPS weeklies, but base state is here to stay.

IMG_3355.png

IMG_3354.png

But will it snow at my house?

  • Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, ShawniganLake said:

Gem goes nuts with the ridge next weekend. 
 

 

IMG_6249.png

Looks like I will be uncovering this thing next week and seeing how many critters lived the life of 1994 Sea Ray luxury over the last 7 months! 

E0D4220A-9406-4F4C-A053-C7E6B987D9DE.jpeg

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Phil said:

OT but man, a month from now that would be the ultimate severe pattern out here. MCS/derecho party. Massive missed opportunity. :( 

Since it’s a pattern associated with poleward transfer of -AAM (+dAAMt/+AAM deposition in tropics) it’s unlikely to repeat. +AAM moat in NH subtropics is here to stay after this +dAAMt event (+ENSO base state now emerging).

Which is good news for the icepu**ies on this forum, but just another screwjob for my region, in a year defined by screwjobs.

/end rant

I spent most of the evening trying to explain the intricacies of this impending +dAAMt event to my family.  It was painful. 

  • Excited 1
  • Storm 1
  • Windy 1
  • Troll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, MossMan said:

And it’s not dead…It’s been sick since we bought the place 5yrs ago but it still leafs out each year! Looks like a tree uprooted right next to it and probably caused the root damage. And yeah it’s angled away from danger…Plus my dog is keeping an eye on it. Oh and this slug is trying to escape the impending heat dome by trying to get into the mechanical room under the house! 

96BB056C-62F1-4867-8E1E-E7CDAE96F5A1.jpeg

774A2359-D20F-431A-83A3-CEF5443D0EFF.jpeg

56437B46-E7D4-401B-A94F-D1FE29A0AC33.jpeg

5D6F2423-BB63-4947-964D-E6320AFF38E5.jpeg

182102DC-7FA2-4387-861C-B32DBD0AD1AA.jpeg

I don’t think the deadwood portion of that tree will be around for many more years, so I’m happy to accept that deal. 😂

FWIW looks like the tree attempted to correct the lean higher up. When it breaks, it will likely happen at the inflection point.

  • Excited 1
foto26446a4f1f801ef3b3d1564dea31df66.png
"Western troughing literally kills people at this time of year. And in the most gruesome of ways."
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Not a terrible GFS run at all. 

FWIW, analog pools keep the ridgy theme going until late in the month. 😬 Don’t see any reason to doubt it, but who knows.

End of May into 1st half of June looks like a pattern loaded with #blessings, though! Should be an explosion in the slug population at Mossman’s house.

  • Excited 1
  • Snow 1
foto26446a4f1f801ef3b3d1564dea31df66.png
"Western troughing literally kills people at this time of year. And in the most gruesome of ways."
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Saw this on Facebook supposedly from May 5, 2018 at the Wooden Shoe Tulip fields near Monitor, Oregon (boyhood home of Mark Nelsen.). I don’t remember this thunderstorm, but I’m not as into thunderstorms like many of you are. I know there was almost no rain that month, so must not have been a big outbreak. 

8D265138-42E8-4387-B466-B03F298EC575.jpeg

  • Like 8
  • scream 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Saw this on Facebook supposedly from May 5, 2018 at the Wooden Shoe Tulip fields near Monitor, Oregon (boyhood home of Mark Nelsen.). I don’t remember this thunderstorm, but I’m not as into thunderstorms like many of you are. I know there was almost no rain that month, so must not have been a big outbreak. 

8D265138-42E8-4387-B466-B03F298EC575.jpeg

Wow. The ghost of Mark Nelsen's childhood took this picture? Stunning! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Saw this on Facebook supposedly from May 5, 2018 at the Wooden Shoe Tulip fields near Monitor, Oregon (boyhood home of Mark Nelsen.). I don’t remember this thunderstorm, but I’m not as into thunderstorms like many of you are. I know there was almost no rain that month, so must not have been a big outbreak. 

8D265138-42E8-4387-B466-B03F298EC575.jpeg

Didn’t make it up this way…It was a great day to move into the then new place! 

C4198C46-A5C6-449D-A24C-141E850B8FC6.jpeg

  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting pattern at the end of the 12z Euro. Not a lot of convection at face value on this run but it definitely looks like a pattern with potential.

12z Euro tops Portland out in the upper 80s on Sunday as well, so a little warmer than last night’s run.

  • Like 3
  • Storm 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Interesting pattern at the end of the 12z Euro. Not a lot of convection at face value on this run but it definitely looks like a pattern with potential.

12z Euro tops Portland out in the upper 80s on Sunday as well, so a little warmer than last night’s run.

Close by the end.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the grand scheme of things, getting our newly annual disturbingly large heatwave out of the way this early in the year is probably ideal. There's still enough surface moisture left over from this cool Spring so that the hot weather won't have time to flash fry the hydrosphere. And at its surface, we still have a good month and a half of a somewhat reliable Pacific storm track to contend with, so substantial recovery of the hydrosphere is actually attainable.

  • Like 9
  • scream 1
  • Sick 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...