Part I - January 2020 Weather Discussion for the PNW

All I have to say is WOW!

What a GFS run.  Cold for two weeks and still no end in sight at the end of the run.  Ensemble mean much colder too.  The ECMWF almost has to move toward the GFS now.

• Like 6

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The end of the GEFS actually does hint at a reload... this is a pretty strong signal that far out.

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-namer-t850-anom-str

Does the cold pool ever leave the BC interior? It seems once it gets established it isn't going to move without a major push. Both the GFS and GEM show that tonight. This is prime inversion season and the BC interior has a healthy snow cover to keep it going:

http://images.intellicast.com/WxImages/CustomGraphic/scover.gif

• Like 4

I'm almost ready to sit back and smoke a cigar, but not quite yet.

• Like 6

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

My vivid memories will be of tracking it. Once it gets here the end will clearly be in view. :( ;)

Lol. How can you enjoy tracking snow if you don’t actually enjoy snow?

Constant 24/7 tracking before a major event is just draining for me. I was so burnt out after tracking that big blizzard in Jan 2016 that once the snow started falling, I had a hard time getting myself worked up. Spent the next 36hrs chugging 5hr energy and popping caffeine pills, lol.

What I learned is that obsessive tracking is overrated. It burns you out before the fun really starts.

• Like 6

Part of me almost wants to take a break from the models for the next few days and just let it ride. But whenever I decide to do that I always end up cracking like six hours later.

This stuff is a terrible addiction. Seriously look how much time we spend on this forum. It's ridiculous.
  • Like 4

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Do you guys think this will be enough cup noodles to last through this extreme mega-winterstorm?

Should I get more? Don't want to run out of the shrimp flavor

attachicon.gifSnapchat-575611470.jpg

You will die of constipation if you eat all of that before this event is over.,, LOL!! :D

• Like 3

This stuff is a terrible addiction. Seriously look how much time we spend on this forum. It's ridiculous.

It’s a brutal hobby..100% out of your control and unlike “normal” hobbies like sports et al, people think you’re some f**ked up lunatic when you rage over a sour turn of events on the models or the radar.

• Like 2

Time to do some research on how long it's been since SEA had a high of 25 or lower in January.  That is certainly on the table with this.  

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Lol. How can you enjoy tracking snow if you don’t actually enjoy snow?

Constant 24/7 tracking before a major event is just draining for me. I was so burnt out after tracking that big blizzard in Jan 2016 that once the snow started falling, I had a hard time getting myself worked up. Spent the next 36hrs chugging 5hr energy and popping caffeine pills, lol.

What I learned is that obsessive tracking is overrated. It burns you out before the fun really starts.

Most of us realize this at a logical level, but as you can see most of us are also probably a bit mentally off to be obsessively refreshing computer simulations of the atmosphere and arguing with other people about the minute details.

vin.png

• Like 7

Most of us realize this at a logical level, but as you can see most of us are also probably a bit mentally off to be obsessively refreshing computer simulations of the atmosphere and arguing with other people about the minute details.

attachicon.gifvin.png

I wouldn't be surprised if half the commenters on here were on the spectrum a bit
  • Like 3