June 2023 Observations & Discussions

westMJim

2 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

This really sucks.  The pattern is a much more favorable, summer-like ROF.  However, models are suggesting there could be a brick wall setting up along I-80.  South of the wall, many rounds of storms with multiple inches of rain.  North, nothing, through ten days.

image.thumb.png.8a5e910cca8175d76d1c0fe9295a5441.png

This would halt or even reverse the drought conditions in some areas if if comes to fruition.  Other areas not so much.

There won't be a quick fix to the drought.  It's too far along and too widespread, but should chip away.  I would bet that there will still be brown on the drought map as we head toward August/September. 

7 hours ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

It’s coming.

dew_points.jpeg.fd95a007386d1705914b1018869a1ff3.jpeg

Annual invasion of the tropics. By far the most predictable aspect of our climate.

That was one hellova MCS yesterday afternoon that raced through IL/IN...I drove smack dab right through those areas across C IL off of I-55 on Father's Day.  I hope the corn crop are salvageable.  I hear they can bend them back if the plant is not smashed down to much.  Meantime, it is a soupy, muggy, and foggy morning here in the Tropics of Chitown....currently 72F/70F.   You know, I've been yearning for mornings like these when I was out in AZ.  I love the weather and the diversity you get living in the MW region....but I also can't deny the beauty of AZ as well!

1.gif

• Like 5

Found this comment interesting online re the Canadian fires.  
-“It gets a electrical smoke smell to it from time to time. This morning I don’t know if my neighbor top dressed his corn or it’s the smoke.”

Why electrical?  

Heading for 100 today. More normal temps tomorrow.  Currently  82*. Humidity 67%

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

The official H/L yesterday at Grand Rapids was 88/62 the official rain fall amount was 0.87” there was 34% of possible sunshine. Here in MBY I recorded 1.17” of rain fall from a very heavy rain storm that had some thunder and lightning with it.

For today the average H/L is 83/62 the record high of 99 was recorded in 1931 and the record low of 40 was set in 1943. The record rain fall amount of 1.69” fell in 1938 Last year the H/L was 89/62. At the current time it is foggy and 67 here in MBY. The weekend and the 4th look to be warm with some chances of showers and thunderstorms. Very typical for this time of the year.

As can be the case in the summer time there has been a wide span of rain fall amounts. Here are some June rain fall amounts across the area. Here in MBY 2.37” Officially at Grand Rapids 1.69” Holland 1.12” Lansing 0.89” and Muskegon only 0.58”

• Like 1
  • Storm 1

1 hour ago, westMJim said:

The official H/L yesterday at Grand Rapids was 88/62 the official rain fall amount was 0.87” there was 34% of possible sunshine. Here in MBY I recorded 1.17” of rain fall from a very heavy rain storm that had some thunder and lightning with it.

For today the average H/L is 83/62 the record high of 99 was recorded in 1931 and the record low of 40 was set in 1943. The record rain fall amount of 1.69” fell in 1938 Last year the H/L was 89/62. At the current time it is foggy and 67 here in MBY. The weekend and the 4th look to be warm with some chances of showers and thunderstorms. Very typical for this time of the year.

As can be the case in the summer time there has been a wide span of rain fall amounts. Here are some June rain fall amounts across the area. Here in MBY 2.37” Officially at Grand Rapids 1.69” Holland 1.12” Lansing 0.89” and Muskegon only 0.58”

That was a great storm last night.  I picked up 1.25" and had pea sized hail.    Several small branches down.  Around 45 mph winds.   It really blew up into a severe thunderstorm just north and east of my area in plainfield township up towards Rockford/Cedar Springs area.   

• Like 4
  • Excited 1

We will get some light rain out of this, but far southern Iowa is getting the good stuff again.  Ottumwa continues to get hit.

• Like 6

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Through yesterday this is now the coldest June in Chester County since way back in 1974. More impressive is not counting today (which should be a rare above average day) this is the 7th coldest June in 130 years of local weather records! We should finish out the month with some hazy sun (thanks Canada) and temps in the low 80's today. A little cooler tomorrow to start out July and then rain chances increase by Saturday night.
Records for today: High 98 (1959) / Low 47 (1919) / Rain 2.29" (1921)
image.png.7c5d239c6668b8fda7e2e854ecaa512d.png

All historical weather data analytics posted by me is specifically for the climate of Chester County PA.  We continually analyze the actual raw non-adjusted NWS certified Coop observed climate data for Chester County.  There have been no post observation adjustments to any of the detailed analytics. All data is sourced from trained NWS observers and spotters. The life blood of science is to challenge what is thought to be known. The concept that climate change etc. is somehow “settled science” describes a religion - a belief system that does not welcome challenges. We should all continue to challenge science!    Snow Totals 2023/24 = 24.5" -  11/28 (0.3") / 12/7 (0.8") / 12/11 (0.8") / 1/6 (2.0") / 1/16 (2.8") / 1/19 (4.5") / 2/13 (10.5") / 2/17 (2.8")

Average Chester County PA Snow at elevations over 660 FT ASL (1983-Present) = 35.9" Snow totals by season: 2022/23 (2.7") /2021/22 (20.5")  2020/21 snow  (52.2") /  2019/20 snow (5.8" )/ 2018/19 snow (35.1" )/ 2017/18 snow (58.5") / 2016/17 snow (24.0")/ 2015/16 snow (40.8")/ 2014/15 snow = (55.3") /2013/14 snow (80.0").

Check out the historical Western Chester County PA website at https://www.chescowx.com.  Follow me on twitter at https://twitter.com/ChescoWx and join us on the #1 social media source for all things Chester County weather on the Chester County Weather Page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/chescowx

National Weather Service  SKYWARN® Trained Spotter CHPA-174

8 hours ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Yup. And that, and ragweed pollen, are the two big reasons I’m a West Coast guy.

I'm a spring, summer, fall guy and don't mind humidity if it produces thunderstorms. Not enough storms in the western states for me, or even enough around here this year. Summer it's flying by way to fast!! 

8 minutes ago, Stormy said:

I'm a spring, summer, fall guy and don't mind humidity if it produces thunderstorms. Not enough storms in the western states for me, or even enough around here this year. Summer it's flying by way to fast!! 

Different strokes for different folks.

I lived in the Midwest as a child and I will say that the summer thunderstorms there could be most impressive. But I was f*cking miserable from allergies for most of the warm season, and it was just so amazing to experience my first summer that wasn’t oppressively hot and humid and where I didn’t need to be heavily medicated.

• Like 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

1 hour ago, Hawkeye said:

We will get some light rain out of this, but far southern Iowa is getting the good stuff again.  Ottumwa continues to get hit.

Just incredible.. im approaching  4.5 inches in june!! Has rained on 11 different  days! Most has fallen past 11 days. But many areas near within 20 miles of me haven't  been as fortunate. 

• Like 6
  • Excited 2

39 minutes ago, bud2380 said:

I’m travelling to Colorado. But I see a report of a whopping 0.17” in Tiffin. Still raining so maybe we squeak out a quarter inch. That probably gets us just over an inch in June. 

Are you going on I80?  I’m am south of the interstate at the Holdrege/Elm Creek exit, #257. 

Wow. Talk about a difference. It’s like a new world out there.  Yes, we may reach 100 by 5 pm.  But may not too.  
seeing this hot streak end for now is awesome.  Pressure 29.92. My headache knew that.  But it’s ok. It’s cooler! 

93*. 42% humidity 🙌

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

7 hours ago, Tom said:

@Bryan1117, you scoring again?  OMA peeps breaking through once again...love when nature works her magic!

Screen Shot 2023-06-30 at 5.16.44 AM.png

Didn’t do too bad, picked up another 0.60” this morning (some areas about 10 miles south of me saw 2-4” this morning)… loved having a second day in a row of early morning thunderstorms, oh how I missed the sweet sound of constant thunder and big fat raindrops hitting the roof.

• Like 4
  • Excited 1

Third consecutive day with temps over 100.  Today toped out at 102, cooler temps tomorrow with a high of 84 expected.  I continue to miss out on the rain with the line of storms tonight firing along and just north of the I-70 corridor.  My location may be in the Exceptional drought classification by next Thursday.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Sick 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

HRRR nukes you @Timmy Supercell

IMG_4581.gif

Hopefully less model disagreements tomorrow. 

And for the love of... AM events didn't hamper afternoon/evening rounds last year as much as they do now. Can we fix that?

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

18 minutes ago, Timmy Supercell said:

Hopefully less model disagreements tomorrow. 

And for the love of... AM events didn't hamper afternoon/evening rounds last year as much as they do now. Can we fix that?

MCS’s are perhaps the most difficult mesoscale phenomena to predict. Until the thing develops, the most infinitesimally small triggers can change the entire evolution.

And yeah, nocturnal/early AM MCS “crapvection” is always a risk. Mid/late morning is the hardest to recover from.

But sometimes those overnight/early AM MCS’s are very intense. In 2010 we had an MCS come through right at sunrise with 90mph winds..upper levels can dominate over BL stability under the right setup.

Haven’t had one of those nocturnal juggernauts in a couple years, so we’re due. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OKwx2k4 said:

Congrats to the folks receiving rainfall and cooler temperatures tonight. I know a few of us are looking forward to it. When I can see water in the air that is not rain or fog, it's too humid. 

Just checked. My dewpoint topped out at 78 today. That's absolutely ridiculous.

• Like 2
  • scream 3

@Timmy Supercell This is the one.

8/12/10, monster MCS blew through right around sunrise, came out of north. Gusts exceeded hurricane force and lots of lightning.

Gets real crazy midway thru.

• Excited 1
  • Storm 2

I finished June with 2.49" of rain... about 50% of average.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
  • Facepalm 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

8 minutes ago, Phil said:

@Timmy Supercell This is the one.

8/12/10, monster MCS blew through right around sunrise, came out of north. Gusts exceeded hurricane force and lots of lightning.

Gets real crazy midway thru.

I remember seeing that! 

Fun time period, that was the first of 3 consecutive cool summers in the northwest... 
(now 1 in 5 summers are at least normal)

But yeah, I had some days last year with morning, mid day and evening rounds. Haven't kept as many notes this time, but I think that's only happened once so far in 2023.

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

17 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

I finished June with 2.49" of rain... about 50% of average.

Looks like I will finish with just a tad over 2” of rain for the month of June… after the horrible desert dry month of May here it’s a slight improvement (basically the last 2 days saved us from further infamy) however that is still only 45% of normal. Just an FYI, it could be worse Hawkeye… 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Bryan1117 said:

Looks like I will finish with just a tad over 2” of rain for the month of June… after the horrible desert dry month of May here it’s a slight improvement (basically the last 2 days saved us from further infamy) however that is still only 45% of normal. Just an FYI, it could be worse Hawkeye… 

Im getting much better. But still probably  a horrible 8 or 9 inches behind in the April to  June timeframe.  Lawns responding nice to past 10 days of rain. But absolutely zero runoff so my pond keeps dropping.  With exception  of a couple weeks almost no runoff going back to December  2021. But in the 2017 drought i went 18 months with  JUST ONE 1 INCH PLUS RAIN, that was west of Ottumwa!

• Like 4