August 2023 Weather in the PNW

Cascadia_Wx

41 minutes ago, Anti Marine Layer said:

A typical sunny, late summer afternoon at University of Communist Indoctrination where the high temperatures in October average higher than the high temperatures in May. 

20230826_143502.thumb.jpg.2c7c6b2dbb15fc047b46dba2c6293070.jpg

Did they relocate Irvine up to the PNW?

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

1 hour ago, Meatyorologist said:

18z GFS essentially ends summer.

Yeah... as the season changes you can start counting on the GFS to be way too aggressive most of the time.  

• Windy 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

17 minutes ago, Kolk1604 said:

So I should set my alarm for 1am Tuesday morning? 

ecmwf-deterministic-seattle-lightning_density_inst-1693072800-1693296000-1693328400-40.gif

Pretty sure nature will wake you up without setting an alarm.  👍

• Excited 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Interesting a bit day at my location is actually 88° or over according to this. A night at 49° or less is a cold night for the month.

https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/historyclimate/climatemodelled/swan-creek-county-park_united-states_5812803

Screenshot_20230826-195828-172.png

Eastside Tacoma/Salishan, WA. Elv 263ft

Family home in Spanaway, WA. Elv 413ft

☥𓂀✡️

3 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Some of the set ups on the models  have looked similar to the path the storms on 9/17/19 took…just right east of the sound over Seattle. 

Totally agree... feels really similar.

1 hour ago, TacomaWx said:

Some of the set ups on the models  have looked similar to the path the storms on 9/17/19 took…just right east of the sound over Seattle. 

Was just thinking the same thing. 2019 were remnants of a hurricane and was unusually warm and wet with more instability than this probably will be but hoping I’m wrong. 

Was just looking at trip reports on WTA crazy how fast Inter glacier on Mount Rainier is disappearing. 
This is my photo of it in Mid-August 2019. Here is a link to it in 2023 Burroughs Mountain — Washington Trails Association (wta.org) The summers since 2013 have really been detrimental for glaciers in Washington and even more so for Oregon.

Inter glacier.png

• Sad 3

35 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

Tuesday is gonna be a classic. Thunderstorms in the morning, potentially multiple rounds, giving way to stratoform rain into the evening. It'll be a rainy, cool day east of the Sound.

Looks like a bag of dikks is in store for the southern WV. Oh well, I won't complain. We had a great light show the other day. It would be nice if we could get at least some rain. .05 isn't gonna be very helpful though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

I hope you don’t live to regret that excitement. A major hurricane is serious stuff.

I lived through Hurricane Andrew, I understand Hurricanes. My family has been through a dozen of them. I’m prepared.

• Like 3

PWS: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWAPORTA220

2023-2024 Snow Total: 18" (6 events)

Ran some numbers... SEA is currently at an average of 70.8 for the month and should end up right around 70 taking in account the projected cooler temps from Tuesday-Thursday to end the month.    Last August ended up exactly at 70.0 and was the 4th warmest month ever at SEA.   This month should end up in the top 5 warmest months ever and the 3rd warmest August (just behind 2017 and maybe 2022). 

2 hours ago, Cloud said:

Last 3 GFS runs pretty much put an abrupt end to summer. Quite aggressive!

Technically not true for the 00Z run last night.   It showed a return to something close to the current pattern with temps back into the 80s for week 2.   Definitely true for the 18Z run yesterday and the 06Z run though.     I remember declarations of summer being over at the end of August last year as well based on some aggressive GFS runs.   Although there is absolutely no way this September and October end up like last year.   That was crazy.