January 2024 Weather in the PNW (Part I)

Just now, Randyc321 said:

Why do you do that?  I'm curious.  You post slightly to mainly misleading statements all the time.

Andrew has a reputation for a reason lol. In general…it’s best to just look at the models yourself and make your own analysis. 

3 minutes ago, Randyc321 said:

Why do you do that?  I'm curious.  You post slightly to mainly misleading statements all the time.

He is stating a fact. 12z was a massive step back at face value. Looks to be caving to the CMC ensembles.

• Downvote 2

1 minute ago, DeepFriedEgg said:

He is stating a fact. 12z was a massive step back at face value. Looks to be caving to the CMC ensembles.

His may be fact this time, but so is my statement. I just don't understand trolling. 

1 minute ago, DeepFriedEgg said:

But he's not. The GFS op has struggled the last couple of frames and is nothing like the GEFS. 

It's on its own right now.  Calling this a non event is misleading. 

• Like 8

195572.png?1673757432

17 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

The obvious hallmarks of a total bust. Winter cancel! /sarc

gfs-ensemble-all-KSEA-height_temp-4348000.thumb.png.191be5f9dce1d8329f190d5967efdc16.pngecmwf-ensemble-KSEA-height_temp-4326400.thumb.png.17f5eaa7f2db7bcfa031d5a03cc2123a.png

Ya, I mean the ECMWF ensembles 06Z mean 850T was even colder than the 00Z was. The 00Z was colder than the 12Z was. ECMWF ensembles are still trending colder.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

You people are funny, the Canadian looks awesome still and has a higher score compared to the gfs, the gfs takes a crap and the storm now is a border hugger? explain?

To be fair, GFS was first to show Arctic outbreak and now is first to rug pull east of Rockies. Maybe it leads the way? GEM looks awesome, hopefully Euro does as well.

• Like 1

PWS: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWAPORTA220

2023-2024 Snow Total: 18" (6 events)

Just now, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

To be fair, GFS was first to show Arctic outbreak and now is first to rug pull east of Rockies. Maybe it leads the way? GEM looks awesome, hopefully Euro does as well.

Typical gfs behavior 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Andrew has a reputation for a reason lol. In general…it’s best to just look at the models yourself and make your own analysis. 

he's a human CFS. go with whatever is opposite of what he says

• lol 1

We're still a few days away from having certainty. The models and ensembles are all over the place. Here's last night's EPS Member by member view. Some drop the arctic hammer, some throw a massive ridge over us and some are in between. Anyone can take their pick.
https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/north-america/m1_geopotential-height-500hpa/20240112-1200z.html

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

I don't think GFS has been statistically proven to "lead" in anything, ever.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

It does this every time. 

• Like 2

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

2 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

You people are funny, the Canadian looks awesome still and has a higher score compared to the gfs, the gfs takes a crap and the storm now is a border hugger? explain?

I’m not sure if skill scores are meaningful when comparing the gfs and gem for something 7-10 days out.  Ensembles have been pretty split. I’d probably put the odds of arctic air (-10C 850s) reaching Seattle at about 40-50%

• Like 2

Just now, ShawniganLake said:

I’m not sure if skill scores are meaningful when comparing the gfs and gem for something 7-10 days out.  Ensembles have been pretty split. I’d probably put the odds of arctic air (-10C 850s) reaching Seattle at about 40-50%

I'm interested in the early week storm, Latest runs try a develop snow over the hood canal.

• Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

3 minutes ago, ShawniganLake said:

Which would have been odds rhat everyone would have been ecstatic about on Dec 20. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Nov1985 said:

But that doesn't speak to statistical performance and reliability when compared to other models. 

I get it, GFS is trash. Even so it still wins sometimes. I hope not this time. 

• Thanks 1

PWS: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWAPORTA220

2023-2024 Snow Total: 18" (6 events)

6 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

I'm interested in the early week storm, Latest runs try a develop snow over the hood canal.

It has my attention as well.  GFS is the most bullish but some of the other models are hinting at the potential as well. My area often does quite well in similar setups as the hood canal.  

• Like 1

Listen folks. It’s called model riding for a reason. It’s not for the faint of heart. This ride is Space Mountain, Matterhorn, and Incredicoaster, not Peter Pan’s Flight or It’s a Small World.

These things crash and reappear and crash and reappear. And HOPEFULLY, by the time you get within a day or so, it is reappearing.

I know the gut punch feeling well, trust me. Lol. But be patient. Go for a walk, call your Mom and tell her you love her, play with your dog or cat, wait for the next round and then if all of the models pull back consistently over 48 hours, then go binge that show you’ve put off and look up houses above 5,000 ft elevation. :)

The last few GFS are obviously uninspiring and frustrating, but hope isn’t lost. Way too much out there pointing to SOMETHING(s) to throw in the towel.

chin up!!

• Like 7

--------------------

Sean Nyberg

IG: @SeanNyberg

X:   @SeanNyberg

Facebook: Sean Nyberg

12z CMC OP delivers the goods although block is sketchy to say the least.

Really interested to see new 12z CMC ensembles. The last two runs have been nothing short of a disaster (sliding the goods straight into the midwest).

12z GEFS will be telling. If they improve, let's hope they are not playing catch up to the OP.

• Downvote 1