15 minutes ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

Yikes man! Is that cold enough to freeze food on the spot? This is in Antarctica at -94F.

IMG_2521.jpeg.d58516fe30ad105c20332dc5e6f842af.jpeg

IMG_2522.jpeg.3ba11e82c6ae4e3d595c45095e30b719.jpeg

https://www.insider.com/cooking-antarctica-freezing-photos-2018-10

Didnt try it with food, but I remember trying to dump a room temp bottle of water from about 10 feet up, it partially froze before impact, but when I dropped it from 15 feet it was completely frozen upon impact, it was amazing to watch. Then it broke and shattered when hitting the ground.

• Like 1

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated March 27th) 107"

Snow depth at my home (updated March 27th): none

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated March 27th): 84"

29 minutes ago, Phil said:

Coldest I experienced was -5°F in Feb 2015 (although that was with winds ripping near 60mph). At that point it started to burn my skin more than it felt cold, if that makes sense.

I have experienced -40 in northern Wisconsin on more than one occasion.   I think the coldest for me at home growing up in the Twin Cities was -30.     And I have experienced -20 air temp with strong wind many times.   Its painful and its miserable.   Interesting for about 30 seconds then done with it.  

• Like 4
  • Shivering 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2 minutes ago, Mercurial said:

Experienced -40 a few times in Montana and Yellowstone, it's rad.  

Was once at yellowstone for -39, getting to see the upper Geyser basin during that was one of the most spectacular sights in my life. 

• Like 2

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated March 27th) 107"

Snow depth at my home (updated March 27th): none

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated March 27th): 84"

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I have experienced -40 in northern Wisconsin on more than one occasion.   I think the coldest for me at home growing up in the Twin Cities was -30.     And I have experienced -20 air temp with strong wind many times.   It’s painful and it’s miserable.   Interesting for about 30 seconds then done with it.  

Some may not realize how everyone who lives in those areas universally hates that cold+wind combo. It’s extremely dangerous. 

There is some beauty to a crystal clear and calm cold morning, but not when the wind is blasting. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, the_convergence_zone said:

Some may not realize how everyone who lives in those areas universally hates that cold+wind combo. It’s extremely dangerous. 

There is some beauty to a crystal clear and calm cold morning, but not when the wind is blasting. 

It’s why I live where I do. I experienced enough severe cold for one life when I was young.

• Like 1
  • Shivering 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

Just now, Rubus Leucodermis said:

It’s why I live where I do. I experienced enough severe cold for one life when I was young.

I’m exactly the same way. I love a good snowstorm but the cold is not for me. Although Wisconsin winters are a joke compared with what they used to be. 

That said, the cold is a novelty here and I’ll happily cheer for it to get as cold as possible for a few days. I just don’t need the temp to stay below freezing for like 30 days in a row. 

• Like 1

This run looks very promising so far.

• Like 5

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

Wow that wave breaks just in time. Close call but won’t cave to the GFS. If anything it’s going the opposite way.

This looks like it go full on.

• Like 8
  • Excited 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

Wow that wave breaks just in time. Close call but won’t cave to the GFS. If anything it’s going the opposite way.

From hour 81 to 96 it moves due north just west of 170W. The GFS has it inside 170W by hour 81 and then continues plowing it to the NE during that same timeframe