March 2024 Weather in the PNW

56 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

I got crucified in here for saying Colorado was overrated. 

Rightfully so.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

4 AM sunrises in Summer would suck and I'd much rather that extra hour of daylight when people are awake. 4:30 PM sunsets in the Winter suck, but 9 AM sunrises in the Winter would suck even more. Can't have kids arriving at school in the dark.

Yes you can. I did for years. Arizona is on permanent DST and somehow society hasn’t devolved into chaos despite sunrises after 8AM.

And 9AM sunrises are fine by me if there’s more light in the evening.

• Confused 1
  • Weenie 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yes you can. I did for years. Arizona is on permanent DST and somehow society hasn’t devolved into chaos despite sunrises after 8AM.

You lived in Arizona? 😱 

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

Just now, Cascadia_Wx said:

You lived in Arizona? 😱 

Hell no. But when I was in grade school the day started at 7AM and ended at 2PM. Was pitch black walking to the bus stop during the winter. Life went on.

• Popcorn 1
  • Weenie 1

12 minutes ago, Phil said:

?!?!?!??!?

They're on permanent standard time, not DST.

• Like 1

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated March 27th) 107"

Snow depth at my home (updated March 27th): none

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated March 27th): 84"

9 minutes ago, Phil said:

Might hit 80°F again today. 🤮 

I'll be flirting with my first 80 of the year, forecast to be 79 though. Sometimes I'm 1-2 warmer than they say. 

• Like 2
  • Sick 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

18 minutes ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

?!?!?!??!?

I think there's a part of AZ that still observes DST, but you could say the most populated areas don't.

We took I-40 East from Flagstaff a few years ago and remember there being a clock change a couple times in one day. Confusing.. and I really don't think this should be a state to state decision. Just make it national.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Hope we all came to a clear consensus now on good places to live and how clocks should managed.   Finally settling those debates once and for all.   🙄

• Excited 1
  • lol 3
  • Facepalm 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 hour ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

I got crucified in here for saying Colorado was overrated. 

I feel like they are. The Buffaloes resume is mediocre and I feel like New Mexico would beat them on a neutral court. Plus the Mountain West is better than the Pac12.

• Like 1
  • lol 2

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

30 degrees and BEAUTIFUL currently, low of 14, only 1½" of patchy snow remains. Hiking/Skiing the next few days is going to be AMAZING, despite the fact that the snow conditions will be sh1tty by the weekend

Went for a hike up tumalo mountain this morning, an amazing but chilly bluebird day.20240314-095842.thumb.jpg.a14addedd6640981ee42ee422b14e09a.jpg20240314-095227.thumb.jpg.9e1298c6fdfbffd6f33cd60f17f591c0.jpg20240314-095543.thumb.jpg.f4ffcfc34590f77823a5221429c97237.jpg20240314-095649.thumb.jpg.7efda0a12fcf119acc359f0bad6f80e2.jpg

• Like 9
  • bongocat-test 1

27 minutes ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

?!?!?!??!?

Like Phil said. Most of Arizona is on permanent standard time, and yet life goes on.

The exception is the Navajo Nation, which observes the typical DST schedule.

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 2

47 minutes ago, Phil said:

Rightfully so.

Denver itself is pretty flat, sprawled, and overpriced. I don't see the appeal aside from its proximity to much nicer areas.

Unfortunately that's true of a lot of the Front Range Colorado population centers IMO, though I like the area from Colorado Springs up to Castle Rock a lot and was looking at relocating there briefly.

That said, the state itself has tons of truly stunning areas outside of that and is well worth visting.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Phil said:

Hell no. But when I was in grade school the day started at 7AM and ended at 2PM. Was pitch black walking to the bus stop during the winter. Life went on.

My 6 year old leaves to catch the bus at 730. It’s pretty much dark when she leaves on most winter mornings.  I would prefer no time change.  Don’t really care if it was DST or standard they both have their goods and bads. 

• Like 2
  • Excited 1

I think the solution to DST is, if you want it to be 9:26 right now, set your clock to 9:26. If you're a weirdo who wants it to be 10:26 right now, leave it as is. 

Everyone wins! 

15 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Denver itself is pretty flat, sprawled, and overpriced. I don't see the appeal aside from its proximity to much nicer areas.

Unfortunately that's true of a lot of the Front Range Colorado population centers IMO, though I like the area from Colorado Springs up to Castle Rock a lot and was looking at relocating there briefly.

That said, the state itself has tons of truly stunning areas outside of that and is well worth visting.

I visited Colorado Springs last May and loved every second of it. Snowcapped mountains on the western horizon, beautiful convective cloud structures, large diurnal temperature variability, no muggy, swampy feeling when stepping outside. It’s underrated if anything IMO.

Even the warmer days didn’t feel warm because the air up there is quite thin (and dry). 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

I think the solution to DST is, if you want it to be 10:26 right now, set your clock to 10:26. If you're a weirdo who wants it to be 9:26 right now, leave it as is. 

Everyone wins! 

Fixed.

• Downvote 1

IMG_1054.png

I like that the 12z GEFS is a little quicker and more robust with the cool down than the operational. Nice to have some more fun weather to look forward to after the pretty weather this weekend. Also possible this spring’s background state is starting to show its hand. Time will tell.

• Like 4

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

29 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Hope we all came to a clear consensus now on good places to live and how clocks should managed.   Finally settling those debates once and for all.   🙄

Next up: Do people in colder states get tired of the snow and winter? Does it matter what you think about the weather or does mother nature not care? And finally, sun in later spring - fun outdoor times or death fire harbinger of doom? All this and Andy Rooney tonight on 60 Minutes!

• Like 3
  • lol 3
  • Storm 1
  • Weenie 1

27 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Troughy!  

gfs-deterministic-namer-z500_anom-1497600 (1).png

FYI that pattern will literally kill people in their sleep. 🌪️ 

Just saying.

• scream 1

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Just saying.

OK... I will change it then.   🙄

• Troll 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

16 minutes ago, Phil said:

Just saying.

I'd rather go out when I was asleep than when I'm awake. 

• Like 1
  • lol 1

12Z ECMWF looks similar to its previous runs but more tame and less aggressive with the cold.   Some showers on Thursday into Friday but sunny again by Friday afternoon into next weekend.  

Day 10 map... and total snow and precip anomalies.

ecmwf-deterministic-namer-z500_anom-1281600.png

ecmwf-deterministic-nw-total_snow_kuchera-1281600.png

ecmwf-deterministic-namer-qpf_anom_10day-1281600.png

• Like 2
  • Sick 1

Average low IMBY this month is 33.1 so far and it looks like we have a lot more cold mins coming up.  I'm really liking the looks of week two right now.  The chill gets pretty continental.

• Like 1
  • Shivering 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

19 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

OK... I will change it then.   🙄

If you can do that why not dial up a nice snowstorm for us?

• lol 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

If you can do that why not dial up a nice snowstorm for us?

If I could do that I would dial up a massive snowstorm for Covington while its 55 and sunny here.  😀

• scream 1

I think most people like DST the way it is but hate the abrupt change. I never hear any complaints in June or December. Therefore, my suggestion is that the clocks move forward by 1 minute per day in March/April and back by 1 minute per day in October/November. Nobody will even notice that there was a change unless they have clocks that aren't connected to WiFi, which is becoming increasingly rare. Even my microwave updates itself. 

• lol 1
  • Weenie 1
  • Facepalm 1

43 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

That area or the hills west of Fort Collins are where I currently plan to retire.

With a place on a beach somewhere too, of course.

• Like 2

A forum for the end of the world.

1 hour ago, Front Ranger said:

Lull in the storm currently, but it's supposed to pick up again this afternoon and evening. 7.5" so far. Lots of places in the south and west metro have 12-16"+ already.

20240314_100429.jpg

Looks like my relatives in Highlands Ranch probably have 16-18" of snow already. And then the airport barely has anything!

• Like 3

Just now, Front Ranger said:

That area or the hills west of Fort Collins are where I currently plan to retire.

With a place on a beach somewhere too, of course.

Perfect!  

5 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

If I could do that I would dial up a massive snowstorm for Covington while its 155°F and sunny here.  😀

Fixed.

• lol 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Fixed.

Doesn't the same stupid joke get boring to you?  

• Thanks 1
  • lol 1

7 minutes ago, the_convergence_zone said:

I think most people like DST the way it is but hate the abrupt change. I never hear any complaints in June or December. Therefore, my suggestion is that the clocks move forward by 1 minute per day in March/April and back by 1 minute per day in October/November. Nobody will even notice that there was a change unless they have clocks that aren't connected to WiFi, which is becoming increasingly rare. Even my microwave updates itself. 

Yeah I'm personally fine with the change, but I know most people are not which is why we should either do permanent DST or permanent Standard time, and I think Standard time is the better option.

What if we did 30 minutes in March, 30 minutes in April, 30 minutes in October, 30 minutes in November? 

4 minutes ago, the_convergence_zone said:

I think that would be even more confusing.

I don’t like the lost hour of sleep after springing forward either, but it only takes a few days to adjust. Later sunsets are worth it for me.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, ShawniganLake said:

I feel like I’d probably wake up if a tornado hit my house. 

Most likely I would get startled awake from booms of thunder before a tornado strikes. But not everyone is a light sleeper like I am. 

• Storm 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"