3/24-3/27 Midwest/Plains Colorado Low(s)

I have a marginal risk for some severe weather this evening with hail being the primary threat. I could get enough heating this afternoon in the dry slot for some big storms to fire up along the front. The Nam and GFS show some slushy snow possible early Tuesday morning for the KC area.

image.thumb.png.53e0d8172aa69b9a19519fe93dea18ad.png

• Like 2

Rain, rain, and more rain. Beneficial but frustrating. No cancellations on my flights so looks like I'll be heading out to Seattle shortly. Family is super bummed because we thought we had a decent chance of it being cancelled but this storm was a complete failure down here in the snow department. Looks like we have potential to pick up 2-3 inches today, maybe, but I won't even be here for it. Oh joy.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Ended up at 0.89" of rain yesterday and early this morning. Just a few rumbles of thunder and it was spread out over several hours so it was a beneficial rain. March has mostly been boring and dry so its good to see it. Wish I could join in on the snow fun but snow season is officially over down here. 

• Like 3

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

0.01" of rain here so far.  Maybe we can squeeze out a few tenths later..

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

34 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

0.01" of rain here so far.  Maybe we can squeeze out a few tenths later..

I just reported a trace 2 days. What a bummer. I had watched this setup  for 15 days.  Seems like it takes  some kinda freak event to get a big rain here. A wobbling front along the mo/ia border usually  works.  Oddest place, front after front system  after  system.  Maybe 1 of 20 gives a precip even over .50!  So many months pass here with 1 or none significant  precip events. Its shocking to me that even being on the east side of a trough doesn't  create  lift and precip here.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, CentralNebWeather said:

Reports of 5” so far. Hard to tell with 50 mph gusts. 1/8 mile visibility. Band has sat over here for about 5 hours. May be a lull this afternoon, then another 1-3” wave coming up from the southwest. Great day to stay home with some great coffee. 

It is literally right overhead...maybe the Euro had it right all along since yesterday...this system certainly had its twists and turns, some good ones and some nasso much...You always seem to have the shiny snow magnet with these systems.  Good luck and congrats on catching a Late Season Blizzard!

• Like 2

The Arrowhead of Minny finally scored a Blitz this season...

Blizzard Warning

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE...RESENT
National Weather Service Duluth MN
300 AM CDT Mon Mar 25 2024

MNZ020-021-252000-
/O.CON.KDLH.BZ.W.0002.000000T0000Z-240327T0000Z/
Southern Lake-Southern Cook-
Including the cities of Two Harbors, Silver Bay, and Grand Marais
300 AM CDT Mon Mar 25 2024

...BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 PM CDT TUESDAY...

* WHAT...Blizzard conditions. Additional snow accumulations of 9
  to 12 inches and ice accumulations of up to two tenths of an
  inch. Winds gusting as high as 40 mph.

* WHERE...Southern Lake and Southern Cook Counties. This
  includes the Tribal Lands of the Grand Portage Reservation.

* WHEN...Until 7 PM CDT Tuesday.

* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult to impossible. Patchy
  blowing snow could significantly reduce visibility. The
  hazardous conditions could impact the morning or evening
  commute.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Blizzard conditions are most likely this
  afternoon into this evening. Freezing rain is possible tonight
  into early Tuesday morning.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Tom said:

It is literally right overhead...maybe the Euro had it right all along since yesterday...this system certainly had its twists and turns, some good ones and some nasso much...You always seem to have the shiny snow magnet with these systems.  Good luck and congrats on catching a Late Season Blizzard!

Just sitting here and it continues to re form. These setups are usually pretty good around here. NAM and Euro were on this early. Reports out in the country of 0 visibility. I don’t doubt it, we are on the edge of town, and at times you can barely see across the street when the gusts come. 6” report now from local law enforcement with snow continuing. 

• Like 2

There were numerous signs of thundersnow on radar yesterday all across the N & E mountains of AZ...some near Sedona, Flagstaff and the White Mountains.  I'm sure Sunrise Ski Resort is going to be the Big winner from this storm.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hawkstwelve said:

Rain, rain, and more rain. Beneficial but frustrating. No cancellations on my flights so looks like I'll be heading out to Seattle shortly. Family is super bummed because we thought we had a decent chance of it being cancelled but this storm was a complete failure down here in the snow department. Looks like we have potential to pick up 2-3 inches today, maybe, but I won't even be here for it. Oh joy.

Wow. You looked to be in a perfect spot. 

1 minute ago, CentralNebWeather said:

Just sitting here and it continues to re form. These setups are usually pretty good around here. NAM and Euro were on this early. Reports out in the country of 0 visibility. I don’t doubt it, we are on the edge of town, and at times you can barely see across the street when the gusts come. 6” report now from local law enforcement with snow continuing. 

Isn't that something...I can imagine what that looks like...I bet I-80 is probably almost impossible to drive through...

• Like 1

Beautiful Blizzard for some of you. Some got the shaft on snow and rain...yep, KC got the shaft too. I only recorded .004 from yesterday's rain and the 50mph winds dried that up quickly. I was hoping to see some more as we are quite dry here. Spring started fast here, but, with limited moisture and now some cold air, spring is on pause. 

Maybe we see a line of storms later today and tomorrow morning could be interesting here as data is showing a good chance of some snow with the ULL. 

70's by Friday!!

• Like 4

So far sitting at 0.80” of very beneficial rainfall here in West Omaha (24 hour rainfall total). Hoping to get closer to that elusive 1” mark today for this system. Nice to see everything finally greening up around here thanks to some of the recent moisture. This soaking rain should really help accelerate things later in the week when it finally warms back up. 

• Like 4
  • Sun 1

2 hours ago, hawkstwelve said:

At this point we just need to be thankful for the precipitation, whatever form it comes in. Hopefully we can all break this awful 2 years plus drought pattern in the plains… every little bit helps.

• Like 3

Both Cedar Rapids and Iowa City airports have reported 0.00" of rain so far.  A far cry from the 2-3" modeled for days here.  Latest HRRR shows about a .25-.35".  And that will pretty much be all that we get from this system.  A huge disappointment around here.  Although with models trending this way in the couple of days leading up to the storm, it was no longer a surprise.  

qpf_acc-imp.us_state_ia.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Facepalm 1

52 minutes ago, CentralNebWeather said:

Just east of town currently at 3:58 pm. IMG_1974.thumb.png.d17d8dbf6c45b4fd4741b650f467e7aa.png

Jealous, you guys cashed in big time! Waiting to see if we get a little bit as the low pulls away. Not holding my breath, just glad we did see moisture.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bud2380 said:

Both Cedar Rapids and Iowa City airports have reported 0.00" of rain so far.  A far cry from the 2-3" modeled for days here.  Latest HRRR shows about a .25-.35".  And that will pretty much be all that we get from this system.  A huge disappointment around here.  Although with models trending this way in the couple of days leading up to the storm, it was no longer a surprise.  

qpf_acc-imp.us_state_ia.png

I have exactly  a trace and a trace the past 3 days!!! ZERO.. after days of model data with a very good rain Friday  thru tues.  Pathetic.  Never seen a dry slot like this in march that last 4 days!!!   While  rain repeatedly  formed west and north and now east this pm.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gabel23 said:

Jealous, you guys cashed in big time! Waiting to see if we get a little bit as the low pulls away. Not holding my breath, just glad we did see moisture.

Probably snowing as hard the last 2 hours as anytime since this morning. This band is intense. It just hasn’t wanted to move towards your area. We have a late start tomorrow. Our superintendent and principal really want to get the Junior ACT done tomorrow or I’m wondering if we’d have another snow day. Going to have to really let up by morning if we’re going to start by 10 am. 

• Like 1

My guess is we ended with 8-9" here. I haven't looked for any official totals. I've been working long hours. It's compacted a lot so whatever the total is we never saw that much on the ground at once.

We're in a WWA tomorrow as the backside swings through. Local met has another 2-4" tomorrow after we get a round of sleet/frz rain. Very compact system!

• Like 2

Woah!

70’s today. 
83 this weekend.

😎 
Surf’s up!

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

The models all had at least some scattered showers today that might add up to a tenth or two, but zero rain ever developed.  The plume of good rain to the east/southeast stole all the moisture.

• Facepalm 2

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"