PNW January 2022, Contact Info for Phil

The Blob

24 minutes ago, Skagit Weather said:

Yeah, I loved the weather last summer. I mean I guess the weather objectively would have been better without the heatwave because it was damaging in so many places, but the weather the rest of the summer was incredible. No A/C here, but the natural A/C of water proximity does all we need. Basically all of the last summers have been gorgeous in my mind after 2011 and 2012.

In 2011 we only got above 80F here once (in September actually) and most days it felt like the marine layer never burned off. Most days were below 70F. 2012 was better with 4 days above 80F, but still had a lot of clouds. I love exploring the mountains and getting off into the backcountry during the summer and it's a lot harder if you're always dealing with clouds and cold temperatures even in July/August.

I would agree heartily with your definition of a perfect summer.

🥰😍

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

2 hours ago, Phil said:

Bruh you’re gonna be shocked by the volume of insects out here. Mid-July to mid-September it’s a 24/7 screaming orgy of crickets, katydids, and cicadas.

Oh, and the skeeters that will find their way into your bedroom just as you turn out the light. Make sure you have off deep woods on ur nightstand. :lol: 

The bugs from South still give me nightmares. 

• scream 1

1 hour ago, gusky said:

A while ago I said one of my family's cars got stolen... it was just found. It doesn't have bullet holes like we thought it might (it was spotted in an armed robbery of a catalytic converter), but it did have a bloody machete in the back. Not sure how I feel about that.

Bruh….. wtf 

• Like 1
  • scream 1

23 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Bruh….. wtf 

My thoughts exactly. It also had an amber light in the back like they were trying to disguise as public authorities in an unmarked, tan truck with no plates😂

My Weather Station:  https://ambientweather.net/dashboard/b415ff35b2d13f00c899051028f04466 

Located in North Seattle, elevation ~150ft. Highest temperature ever recorded is 110.3, lowest is 14.5.

My Twitter

4 minutes ago, gusky said:

My thoughts exactly. It also had an amber light in the back like they were trying to disguise as public authorities in an unmarked, tan truck with no plates😂

This is some crazy shiet…. Like out of a Bourne movie. Did the police at least do something about the bloody machete? 

4 hours ago, gusky said:

I agree with all of that. Another example is last summer's "HEAT DOME!" in which he criticized a rapid climate change attribution study for having a title that completely misrepresented the content of the study, and for dramatically overplaying the data provided in the article itself.

I've heard many people try to justify such dramatic media misinformation by claiming that it helps bring much needed attention to the issue of climate change, but this just isn't true. Misinformation is ALWAYS bad, regardless of whether it's about vaccines, politics, or climate change. It will always obscure the truth, which we need in order to actually go about solving the issue.

So, I think his frustration with the media misrepresenting/altering climate science is justified, but my issue with his blogs is more in the presentation of his opinions. He seems to get very provoked and aggressive, which damages the validity of the points he makes. He singles out reporters, uses provocative images (I seem to remember a big red button with "false" or "lies" on it) and just utilizes unnecessarily negative/emotional wording.

I think that this has more to do with what has gotten him fired than his scientific stance regarding climate change. Remember when he compared recent protests-turned-riots to Nazi marches (keep in mind he is Jewish)?

Good science, bad emotional/ego control.

Cliff got kicked off the radio, but he never got fired from his main job. He made $210,000 as a professor at UW in 2020. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gusky said:

I agree with all of that. Another example is last summer's "HEAT DOME!" in which he criticized a rapid climate change attribution study for having a title that completely misrepresented the content of the study, and for dramatically overplaying the data provided in the article itself.

I've heard many people try to justify such dramatic media misinformation by claiming that it helps bring much needed attention to the issue of climate change, but this just isn't true. Misinformation is ALWAYS bad, regardless of whether it's about vaccines, politics, or climate change. It will always obscure the truth, which we need in order to actually go about solving the issue.

So, I think his frustration with the media misrepresenting/altering climate science is justified, but my issue with his blogs is more in the presentation of his opinions. He seems to get very provoked and aggressive, which damages the validity of the points he makes. He singles out reporters, uses provocative images (I seem to remember a big red button with "false" or "lies" on it) and just utilizes unnecessarily negative/emotional wording.

I think that this has more to do with what has gotten him fired than his scientific stance regarding climate change. Remember when he compared recent protests-turned-riots to Nazi marches (keep in mind he is Jewish)?

Good science, bad emotional/ego control.

Cliff imo has transformed into someone who was so desperate to stay apolitical and "realistic" that he has turned into the very clickbait-enthused, aggressive, and overemotional figure he so frequently maligns. I'm sure at one point he was a somewhat good source on climate-related issues, but he's dug himself into the political pigeonhole so far that he just comes across as a hypocrite.

• Like 5

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Just now, Cloud said:

Has anyone here seen the movie “Don’t Look Up”? — this movie is a clear metaphor to climate change. My guess is that opinion of this movie is quite divided within this community/forums. 

Personally thought it was a great movie. 

It was kinda funny.

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

1 minute ago, Cloud said:

Has anyone here seen the movie “Don’t Look Up”? — this movie is a clear metaphor to climate change. My guess is that opinion of this movie is quite divided within this community/forums. 

It had some funny moments and it was an interesting look at our current society…but it was meh for me. 

• Like 2

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

It was a little much... but good entertainment for a couple hours.

• Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

3 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Haven’t seen it, but given a “climate catastrophe” of some sort is essentially inevitable (maybe not within our lifetimes, but almost certainly within the next few millennia) we might want to start looking up sooner rather than later. 😬  

• Popcorn 1

4 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

It was kinda funny.

4 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

It had some funny moments and it was an interesting look at our current society…but it was meh for me. 

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

It was a little much... but good entertainment for a couple hours.

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Haven’t seen it, but given a “climate catastrophe” of some sort is essentially inevitable (maybe not within our lifetimes, but almost certainly within the next few millennia) we might want to start looking up sooner rather than later. 😬  

Where would we be at today if Al Gore was President and not Bush? 😱

Where would we be at today if Al Gore was President and not Bush? 😱

In the middle of a MASSIVE top tier blast and Jesse wouldn’t have had to be a fire fighting hero and hence would not have been banned.

• lol 5
  • Sad 1
  • scream 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

4 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

I'm gonna be honest.

The majority of the time, with the exception of skiing, I feel the same about winter here.

Surprising given your screen name.

4 hours ago, Timmy_Supercell said:

I think Phil would like some of the normal summers in K-Falls. DP's typically won't go over 50 unless you're in a good environment for t'storms it would hit 60 in late July. 

It's possible to have less than a dozen days reach 90 degrees. That happened twice I think when I was there. 2021 having 52 of them was just an oddity. 

I think Phil hates warm humid low temps in particular and the south-central Oregon high plateau is pretty much the exact opposite of that. Had a 95/36 day in Sunriver last summer.

And to be fair that region very rarely gets 100+ heat either, thanks to the elevation. A "heat wave" there is a long stretch with highs around (and humidity so low 95 there feels no more uncomfortable than 90 in the Willamette Valley).

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Cloud said:

I think it captured the general public's opinions on the political atmosphere of today, but ultimately it ended up angsty and pandering. The movie was frustrating because of how simultaneously absurd and believable it was.

Still wanted to make me throw my chair out the window

• Like 2

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

Just now, iFred said:

I swear to god if you start peppering the Pacific Northwest Obs thread with Reston Northwest “oh, woe is the stress that my tulip trees under the burden of this plentiful snow with hath made itself known upon the suburban estate” Obs post, I will send you to the shadow realm to send your days along side Kevin Martin and Jesse.

Given how much time I waste on here that might just save my academic career. :lol: 

• lol 2

6 minutes ago, iFred said:

I swear to god if you start peppering the Pacific Northwest Obs thread with Reston Northwest “oh, woe is the stress that my tulip trees under the burden of this plentiful snow with hath made itself known upon the suburban estate” Obs post, I will send you to the shadow realm to send your days along side Kevin Martin and Jesse.

Phil was pretty quiet from roughly December 20 to January 1.

• Like 2
  • Snow 1

Just now, iFred said:

Still going for that BA in creative writing. Don’t worry, you’ll get there.

Gender studies, actually. I’m not creative enough for creative writing.

• lol 1

4 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Phil was pretty quiet from roughly December 20 to January 1.

Next time make sure your active weather doesn’t coincide with my trips to palm tree hellfire.

I’m not a masochist. Why subject myself to such torment?

• scream 1

2 minutes ago, iFred said:

The Leo outburst was up there with his Django moment. I felt where the anger was coming from and the general sense of malaise when you realize that the people who you thought were on your side are just as unhelpful as the people you end up against. My bar of “up your own a**” is any Oliver Stone movie or Michael Moore production. This was no where near as close.

The not-so-subtle climate change allegory hit....close to home...

Needless to say it frustrated me the most out of my friends.

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall: