PNW January 2022, Contact Info for Phil

The Blob

2 hours ago, hawkstwelve said:

Geez... The 12z GFS is still showing 6-9 inches here by 10AM tomorrow even with Kuchera ratios. Normally it starts to cut it's outlandish totals about 24-36 hours before the event but not this time. At least not yet. 06z Euro showed 3-4 inches and the 06z HRDPS also shows 6-8 inches.

I have been pretty dang skeptical of this one for a while now but it sure seems the models think it will happen. NWS remains steadfast that we will see mostly cold rain. Not sure what to believe at this point.

gfs-deterministic-seattle-total_snow_kuchera-1232800.png

It seems like they're giving no respect to how cold the east wind is.  I'm pretty convinced it will be snow at least from Seattle to Everett or so.  Here...we'll have to wait and see.  Obviously that early blast of precip the ECMWF is showing is marine air interacting with the outflow.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Talk about a massive cave to the GFS on the part of the ECMWF.  The GFS has handled the cold outflow a lot better.  Only 33 here currently.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

That is an ugly pattern starting in a few days on the 12Z ECMWF... was looking forward to a ridge and quiet weather.    Instead it shows days of rain and maybe a couple AR events.    

• Snow 1
  • Sick 3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 hour ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Just when I thought it couldn’t get any worse my brothers car is broken down now…so I’m flying to spokane and will have to get a hotel room there. It’s too late to change my flights so pretty unsure what to do now. 

At least you can get back in the correct timezone?  Looking for a silver lining here....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

That is an ugly pattern starting in a few days on the 12Z ECMWF... was looking forward to a ridge and quiet weather.    Instead it shows days of rain and maybe a couple AR events.    

How does it handle Wednesday night Thursday system? I don't have the snow maps.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

5 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Ridge in the mid range is looking pretty dirty on the Euro not a great low level cold setup sadly 

Looks like everything is going to reset further east than what models showed yesterday.  That means the retrogression sequence to get us to the good stuff again will take longer.  Bummer.

• Sick 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Still pretty good for your area and places to the north... but its much quicker with the warm up out here.   925mb temp is up to +7C by Thursday morning.   

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-snow_24hr_kuchera-1492000.png

• Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

57 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

Total snow through 10AM tomorrow per 12z Euro. This is an increase for most in the Central Sound vs 00z.

ecmwf-deterministic-seattle-total_snow_kuchera-1232800.png

Vomit over my house. 🤮

• Excited 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

8 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Getting the Pacific to quiet down for more than 24 hours has become such a challenge in the winter now. 

• Sad 1
  • Sick 1

36 here in Lynnwood. Still have 6 inches on the deck and the side streets are still covered with snow. The main street is partially cleared, partially ruts with a median of snow. Had a moment of chunky rain (where, admittedly, I got really happy and excited) but that didn't last. For now, no precip. Lots of dangerous-looking icicles, though, which I have a feeling won't last beyond today.

Wearing my lucky snowflake earrings; hopefully that helps for some additional snowfall tonight.😁

IMG_E2407.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excited 1

9 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Looking pretty bad for here, but you do ok.

1641481200-GfShsf0BNaQ.png

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I do need to clarify that snow propbably won't happen for most places until the dynamic cooling really kicks in tonight.  Obviously the Hood Canal area could be an exception.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I knew the NWS was wrong about the wind advisory from Seattle southward.  Just don't know what's going on with them lately.

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I knew the NWS was wrong about the wind advisory from Seattle southward.  Just don't know what's going on with them lately.

Yep you called it lastnight, I remember.  This is why I pay attention to what you say. I've learned a lot from you over the years my friend. 

• Like 4

We come from the land of the ice and snow.