May Winter Continue 2022 PNW

The Blob

63 and filtered sunshine. Warmest we’ve been so far this month and in the last 10 days. Looks like it might take awhile to get back to our current high water mark of 73 so far the year. 

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

1 hour ago, Kayla said:

Wow, I'm going to really enjoy these next couple of days in the 60's to near 70 and dry skies because beyond tomorrow, there is not a dry day in sight and high temps above the 30's-40's for the foreseeable future. Love to see it after a really dry/warm couple of Springs!

Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 1.09.37 PM.png

You only show pics of your yard buried in snow... lets see what it looks like right now.   ;)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

4 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

You only show pics of your yard buried in snow... lets see what it looks like right now.   ;)

To be fair I’ve never seen a picture of your yard when it’s cloudy or raining. Like, not once. 😃 

Just now, Phil said:

To be fair I’ve never seen a picture of your yard when it’s cloudy or raining. Like, not once. 😃 

Actually many times.   And videos of heavy rain too.    You just block those out.   😁

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

EPS PNA forecast is down to -4.5 for the trough early next week now.  Extraordinary for this time of year.

• Like 4

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

3 hours ago, Meatyorologist said:

I hear you on that last part. April actually gave me some SAD. Vitamin D3 pills helped quite a bit.

Gloom definitely both causes and exacerbates depression-- firsthand the flare-ups are in the winter months.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

9 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

EPS PNA forecast is down to -4.5 for the trough early next week now.  Extraordinary for this time of year.

Unfortunately going to be quite cloudy and damp for the next 10 days. 

• lol 1

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

Unfortunately going to be quite cloudy and damp for the next 10 days. 

Up to 54F here but at least the rain stopped.  This year has been a reminder of why spring is my least favourite season around here.   We have been spoiled in recent years with mild and bright springs. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ShawniganLake said:

Up to 54F here but at least the rain stopped.  This year has been a reminder of why spring is my least favourite season around here.   We have been spoiled in recent years with mild and bright springs. 

April and May are my least favorite months as well.

Sunny and 68 here now.    These short warm breaks have been very much appreciated.      I know you have not been so lucky up there.

2 hours ago, Omegaraptor said:

December 1964 had an airmass that was nothing short of insane with a 6F low at PDX. It was an otherwise boring winter with 5 cold days thrown in... but those were 5 incredible cold days.

I wouldn't say it was necessarily boring for the region. I think 1964-65 was one of the more interesting winters of its era.

Very troughy November (Las Vegas even had a snowstorm in mid November) and the December 15-31 stretch was perhaps the most dynamic on record in the region with the major arctic front on the 16th, a major overrunning snowstorm, the historic Christmas flood/AR in OR and CA, and then the cold air sinking back south after Christmas with one of the most bonkers stretches of onshore flow snow in regional history at the end of December.

Also had spotty heavy snow in late January in western WA, a major windstorm in NW OR in early February (68mph at PDX) , and a historically cold March for the U.S. with some backdoor arctic air and snow March 19-26 in our region. With a freakishly cold trough in early May that dropped perhaps the latest lowland snowflakes on record in the Portland area on May 5.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

April and May are my least favorite months as well.

Sunny and 68 here now.    These short warm breaks have been very much appreciated.      I know you have not been so lucky up there.

68F. Sounds amazing.  Been almost a month since Shawnigan Lake cracked 60.  With that 62F on April 7th.  Our last 70F was September 25th. 

9 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

I wouldn't say it was necessarily boring for the region. I think 1964-65 was one of the more interesting winters of its era.

Very troughy November (Las Vegas even had a snowstorm in mid November) and the December 15-31 stretch was perhaps the most dynamic on record in the region with the major arctic front on the 16th, a major overrunning snowstorm, the historic Christmas flood/AR in OR and CA, and then the cold air sinking back south after Christmas with one of the most bonkers stretches of onshore flow snow in regional history at the end of December.

Also had spotty heavy snow in late January in western WA, a major windstorm in NW OR in early February (68mph at PDX) , and a historically cold March for the U.S. with some backdoor arctic air and snow March 19-26 in our region. With a freakishly cold trough in early May that dropped perhaps the latest lowland snowflakes on record in the Portland area on May 5.

Excellent analysis. The Nowdata temps and precip never tell the whole story. Thank you!

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, ShawniganLake said:

68F. Sounds amazing.  Been almost a month since Shawnigan Lake cracked 60.  With that 62F on April 7th.  Our last 70F was September 25th. 

8 days above 60 here since that warm day on April 7th... including 73 on 4/24.

But only 4 dry days in that same time frame.

Today is the first day of 2022 with a hint of humidity. Warning sign that the end of “nice day season” is imminent. 😭 

Thank goodness for that cutoff ULL floating around next week or we’d be roasting in the mid/upper 90s. What a blessed and fortuitous outcome!

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Sick 1

Just reached 70 in North Bend.

Also says today's rain is 0.00 which we won't see again for probably another 10 days.  

Screenshot_20220504-154129_Chrome.jpg

23 minutes ago, Phil said:

Today is the first day of 2022 with a hint of humidity. Warning sign that the end of “nice day season” is imminent. 😭 

Thank goodness for that cutoff ULL floating around next week or we’d be roasting in the mid/upper 90s. What a blessed and fortuitous outcome!

Has the dew point ever been above 80°F in your swamp?

• lol 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

2 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Pretty sure it averages around 95 there most of the summer!  80 is child's play.

• lol 1

2 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

A dew point average of 95°F? I doubt it. I believe even the Arabian/Persian Gulf region isn’t that bad. I assume you posted that in jest?

It was a poke at Phil's dramatic flair.  😀

• Like 1
  • Excited 2

18 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Every summer dude. Reached 87°F in July 2011.

Dewpoint record at DCA is 89°F. Will probably break that record within the decade. 

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Every summer dude. Reached 87°F in July 2011.

Dewpoint record at DCA is 89°F. Will probably beat that soon.

I experienced 98 degrees with a dewpoint of 84 on my sister's wedding day in Minnesota many years ago.     Day ended with some wicked severe storms.

• Excited 1
  • Storm 1
  • scream 1

5 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I experienced 98 degrees with a dewpoint of 84 on my sister's wedding day in Minnesota many years ago.     Day ended with some wicked severe storms.

Sounds awesome. Lucky break. Our heatwaves rarely have strong convection unless it’s about to end, or if we’re on the very edge of the ridge like in 2012.

Usually those nasty ridges shut down convection entirely. Amazing how humid this place can get even when it hasn’t rained in weeks. Defies logic.

• Like 1
  • Sun 1

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

You can be certain this pattern on the 18Z GFS will verify.    So common.   😀

gfs-deterministic-namer-z500_anom-3026400.png

It’s the goofus, dude. What to you expect?

• Like 1

Looks like North Bend made up to 72... rounding up.    Not bad.

I take solace in the fact that one week ago the ECMWF was showing some biblical rain for today... so something actually trended in the right direction for once.    

• Sun 1

1 hour ago, Phishy Wx said:

71 out, D**n I need a cocktail and a lounge chair 

52 and cloudy here. At least the light drizzle stopped. .03” on the day, .89” for the month. 

• Sad 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

2 minutes ago, MossMan said:

52 and cloudy here. At least the light drizzle stopped. .03” on the day, .89” for the month. 

Missing this summer-like day ahead of winter coming back for the next 10 days is just very sad.    Quite the temperature gradient today.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Was cool to sneak a couple decent days in before the rain returns. Just far enough south to miss the drizzle and get some sunshine today. Clouds are increasing SW breeze picking up here but still feels warm. 

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

5 minutes ago, Thunder98 said:

Did you turned into a fish that day? 

No.   She married a guy from CA and so all of his family was there and they loved it.   Everyone was outside watching the storm during the reception.

23 minutes ago, Phil said:

Usually those nasty ridges shut down convection entirely. Amazing how humid this place can get even when it hasn’t rained in weeks. Defies logic.

Not really, given how easy of a path there is to your area from warm tropical or subtropical areas of sea water.

Check out heat/humidity data for the Arabian/Persian Gulf and Red Sea coasts some time. Really low annual rainfalls yet humid as all f*ck in the summer.

• Like 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

16 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Not really, given how easy of a path there is to your area from warm tropical or subtropical areas of sea water.

Check out heat/humidity data for the Arabian/Persian Gulf and Red Sea coasts some time. Really low annual rainfalls yet humid as all f*ck in the summer.

Yeah Dubai is next level awful. Typical afternoon dewpoint there is something like 85-90. 🤮 All that seawater evaporating out of the Persian Gulf.

• Like 1