-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

My hot take is that we're going to see bad ice storms all over on the western side of the 2 states.

Models seem to lag on how quickly cold air leaves, especially at the surface.  I bet they're finally catching up understanding how as strong this high pressure system is.   We will see ice in the forecast going forward starting with Oregon and SW Washington.

Seeing those pictures sucks but we can't ignore how often we're seeing freezing rain in the forecast.  And there's no reason why ZR can't outperform models.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SnarkyGoblin said:

My hot take is that we're going to see bad ice storms all over on the western side of the 2 states.

Models seem to lag on how quickly cold air leaves, especially at the surface.  I bet they're finally catching up understanding how as strong this high pressure system is.   We will see ice in the forecast going forward starting with Oregon and SW Washington.

Seeing those pictures sucks but we can't ignore how often we're seeing freezing rain in the forecast.  And there's no reason why ZR can't outperform models.

nobody got time for freezing rain, either all snow or all rain and no event plz 🤮

• Like 1

Looks like I am done with the precip for the day. With just a trace on the ground I am calling this a dry blast 🤮 so far. I sure hope Tuesday delivers but I know how these things play out up here when shadowed. 

• Sad 1
  • Sick 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

2 minutes ago, Doinko said:

GFS is going crazy with the cold air advection. It thinks we'll stay around 18-20 all day Thursday and then get down to 13 degrees with precip.

sfct.us_nw.png

prateptype_cat.us_nw.png

Like @Perturbed Memberasid it definitely looks like a slightly deeper cold layer as well. We could stay in the freezer until Saturday or longer

Just remember that it’s still the GFS with surface temps. 13 is definitely overdoing it. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Timmy said:

Sure, but for the west side of the cascades (vast majority of people here), kuchera is often posted because it usually shows higher amounts.  Yet almost never materializes.

I can see that over there, especially with models often getting the temp wrong.  And I'm not sure Pivotalweather.com's formula is the same one the NWS uses.

13 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

It's note over for you. This thing could pull further south at the last minute. 

Definitely not over-- especially since models always scour us out too early. We've seen models trend colder for Saturday already-- that would extend any threat of snow.

• Like 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

3 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Looks like I am done with the precip for the day. With just a trace on the ground I am calling this a dry blast 🤮 so far. I sure hope Tuesday delivers but I know how these things play out up here when shadowed. 

I think I ended up with 0.5”.  32F now and partly cloudy.  I’m just glad my ground is white for a change.  I’ll believe the pepto when I see it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SnarkyGoblin said:

Can someone explain to me why one looks at the control of the EPS ensemble as opposed to the euro operational?  What are the pros and cons of each?

Michael Snyder uses the control and I wonder if it's to make numbers look better to be the hype guy?  Which I appreciate.

Control run seems very much exaggerated to me.    Probably for hype.    

• Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

55 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Big difference in high temps tomorrow between the GFS and ECMWF...

gfs-deterministic-washington-t2m_f_max6-1494400.png

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t2m_f_max6-1494400 (2).png

Looks like they’ve got it nailed down for here!

• Like 1
  • lol 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Turned around at Index because the roads were starting to get really bad. Was coming down hard and accumulating well out there. Passing Monroe again and still coming down good here. Roads are still ok however.

• Like 3

(Previous name: MillCreekMike)

Everett, WA (elev. 180’)

2023-2024 Snowfall:

1/11: Tr.

1/18: Tr.

Go M’s