August 2018 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Geos

Actually... you said 45-degree drizzle would be best every single day of the year!

Nope.

I said 55 degree drizzle would be preferable to 95 and humid. Which most people agree with. Repeating lies over and over won’t miraculously make them true. :)

Nope.

I said 55 degree drizzle would be preferable to 95 and humid. Which most people agree with. Repeating lies over and over won’t miraculously make them true. :)

Incorrect!  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Incorrect!

You’re full of it, man.

I’ve said repeatedly that my ideal summer weather is partly to mostly sunny w/ highs in the upper 60s to low 70s. But when it’s 95 and swampy, I’d view 50 degree drizzle as a gift from heaven.

You’re full of it, man.

I’ve said repeatedly that my ideal summer weather is partly to mostly sunny w/ highs in the upper 60s to low 70s. But when it’s 95 and swampy, I’d view 50 degree drizzle as a gift from heaven.

I think you said something about 45-degree drizzle every minute of every day for the entire year really being ideal.   I said that all your trees would die and you said they would happy.    I also expressed disbelief that Baffin Island and Greenland are not the most populated places on Earth with their incredibly comfortable weather and found it odd that Florida has 21 million people while Baffin Island only has 11,000.    Makes no sense!   ;)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I think you said something about 45-degree drizzle every minute of every day for the entire year really being ideal. I said that all your trees would die and you said they would happy. I also expressed disbelief that Baffin Island and Greenland are not the most populated places on Earth with their incredibly comfortable weather and found it odd that Florida has 21 million people while Baffin Island only has 11,000. Makes no sense! ;)

If I said that I was obviously trolling you (sarcastically).

If I said that I was obviously trolling you (sarcastically).

Of course! As usual.

But don't act surprised when it gets repeated back to you. And you repeatedly claimed you were not trolling at the time. ;)

Record warm August looking increasingly unlikely.

Really hope this bodes well for the winter.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

The D11-15 12z EPS builds a remarkable amount of cold up across NE-Canada. Picking up right where we left off last year with the vortex.

4RDqmI0.png

bFN9jM6.png

Baffin Island has only seen 37 days this year with above average 850mb temperatures. And most of those occurred during the -NAO in March.

Insane. They never had a summer.

The 12z EPS builds a remarkable amount of cold up across NE-Canada. Picking up right where we left off last year with the vortex.

Saw that as well. Looks like a pretty decent full latitude tap as well. Maybe that one EPS member was on to something...

http://i63.tinypic.com/1zp61ol.png

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Baffin Island has only seen 37 days this year with above average 850mb temperatures. And most of those occurred during the -NAO in March.

Insane. They never had a summer.

They never have summer there. 

And summer can feature below normal 850mb temps and still be summer.    ;)

Nice day! Warm! No smoke! Sunny!

NWS says breathe deeply while you can... we are going to be inundated with smoke starting Sunday morning.   

NWS says breathe deeply while you can... we are going to be inundated with smoke starting Sunday morning.

Not looking forward to that. It's really really smoky over here on the peninsula today, I can smell it, too, not good.

"Avoiding unwanted weather is a key element of happiness."

Been up doing field work on Mt. Adams since Tuesday evening. Back in reception at Trout Lake now.

I see the models have trended much cooler in the mid-long range over the last three days. Expect that trend to reverse now that I am tracking them again. Sorry guys. ;)

• Like 2

Been up doing field work on Mt. Adams since Tuesday evening. Back in reception at Trout Lake now.

I see the models have trended much cooler in the mid-long range over the last three days. Expect that trend to reverse now that I am tracking them again. Sorry guys. ;)

Fall will arrive at some point. Perhaps we can have Sept-Dec feature primarily below average temps to counter what we have seen the past 4 months. Highly doubtful, but lets dream.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Not looking forward to that. It's really really smoky over here on the peninsula today, I can smell it, too, not good.

Why have you been there for what seems like weeks?    

You have been traveling all summer so the weather at home is sort of irrelevant.    How are you able to be away for so long?   Just curious.

Why have you been there for what seems like weeks?

You have been traveling all summer so the weather at home is sort of irrelevant. How are you able to be away for so long? Just curious.

I'm between jobs at the moment. I've been renting and staying with friends, so I don't have a mortgage to worry about. Right now I'm helping a friend with some work on his property in rural Grays Harbor county. It's very different here than the Puget Sound basin.

"Avoiding unwanted weather is a key element of happiness."

I'm between jobs at the moment. I've been renting and staying with friends, so I don't have a mortgage to worry about. Right now I'm helping a friend with some work on his property in rural Grays Harbor county. It's very different here than the Puget Sound basin.

Very different.  

Looks like there could be some t-storms around next Tuesday or so. Hopefully wet ones.

And they take the next round of smoke back eastward when they move away... like the complex did yesterday.   

And they take the next round of smoke back eastward when they move away... like the complex did yesterday.

How widespread were yesterday’s storms? We saw some billowing clouds and got sprinkled on a couple times in the late morning. At 4,600’ on the south side of Mt. Adams.

How widespread were yesterday’s storms? We saw some billowing clouds and got sprinkled on a couple times in the late morning. At 4,600’ on the south side of Mt. Adams.

Pretty sparse... but it was definitely an organized disturbance and not just diurnal in nature.

Matt Zaffino said some locations in the Elkhorn Mtns west of Baker City picked up an inch of rain with the storms yesterday. 

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Heading to Chelan on Monday.  Doubt I'll see the sun the entire time I am there.  Bummer.

I was checking out the web cams there today and it looked nasty.  It will be as bad here as over there on Monday... but then when the wind switches back to onshore by Wednesday morning it will get even worse over there.    

I was checking out the web cams there today and it looked nasty.  It will be as bad here as over there on Monday... but then when the wind switches back to onshore by Wednesday morning it will get even worse over there.    

I'm not able to cancel, or haven't tried.  It looks unhealthy actually.  Still a lot of people out soaking up the smoke with SPF 35 I'm sure.  We have a boat rented one day and jet skis the next.  Not sure what's going to happen.

They are cancelling an outside art festival that was planned as well as a Farmer's Market.  Can't fight Mother Nature but this will be a big hit $$ if we drive over and decide to stay inside due to the smoke.

Check out the Campbell's Resort Web Cam.  It just looks like a smokey mess.

I'm not able to cancel, or haven't tried.  It looks unhealthy actually.  Still a lot of people out soaking up the smoke with SPF 35 I'm sure.  We have a boat rented one day and jet skis the next.  Not sure what's going to happen.

They are cancelling an outside art festival that was planned as well as a Farmer's Market.  Can't fight Mother Nature but this will be a big hit $$ if we drive over and decide to stay inside due to the smoke.

Check out the Campbell's Resort Web Cam.  It just looks like a smokey mess.

I was looking at the Campbell's cam today... terrible.     

I think June and July is the best time to go there.     

Glad to hear everything went well for you TigerWoodsLibido. Will have to check out the news story once I get back home.

Thanks! Apparently the Sinclair affiliate KVAL 13 in Eugene ran my story as well tonight. Much prettier tonight. Can actually see the stars outside the window on Marquam Hill.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope