January 2019 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Requiem

You and me both brother.

Have you noticed that it feels weird when you end up with a below average temp departure for a month in the past 5 years? It's even weird to get a month that isnt top 10 warmest! That's what's weird and I dont know why nobody else has said it yet. These past 5 years have been extremely warm, even worldwide! If things don't reverse soon, we will actually be in trouble.

• Like 1

We are prob running out of moisture

Keep your fingers crossed for a CZ later. It could really dump if it's a full blown one.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

So we need a weaker sw flow for a strong c zone or any c zone

We need strong west flow... too much SW flow and there is no convergence to be had... at least not in the Seattle area.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Fact is... it's just been much wetter up here and in southern BC. While Oregon and SW WA are still running dry.

The beat goes on. We don't have any drought worries and some dry weather sounds nice.

Different weather... different perspectives

16.5” here over the last month is about as wet as it gets. Shawnigan Lake is probably about 1ft away from the highest I’ve ever seen it. Looks like a few flooded properties.

I sure wish this old pic had a date stamp somewhere on it...view from the family lake house deck looking out at the lake...it’s been in the family since 1958...possibly from the 68/69 event?

I remember being a stupid kid and walking way out on the lake on several occasions when my parents were not looking in the late 80’s/early 90’s!

Edit...can’t be 68/69 since no snow on the ground...just COLD!

CF9FC077-4DC6-44D4-BC9E-02803A178F01.jpeg

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I sure wish this old pic had a date stamp somewhere on it...view from the family lake house deck looking out at the lake...it’s been in the family since 1958...possibly from the 68/69 event?

I remember being a stupid kid and walking way out on the lake on several occasions when my parents were not looking in the late 80’s/early 90’s!

What lake?

I savilate over the idea of another January 1969.

I agree that somebody in the CONUS is going to get pounded hard.

EPS, GEFS, GEPS are starting to come into agreement on building the west coast ridge, with a possible -EPO signal. Big cold potential upcoming for central and eastern North America

EPS, GEFS, GEPS are starting to come into agreement on building the west coast ridge, with a possible -EPO signal. Big cold potential upcoming for central and eastern North America

If I am lucky maybe we'll get a nice arctic front when I am out in Oklahoma later this month. There was a great arctic frontal passage when I was out there in December 2016. Temp went from low 50s mid-afternoon to 8 by midnight. 

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

40 in North Bend this morning... I assume the wind picked up and the snow that fell is melting at home.  

The Snoqualmie Ridge exit on I-90 was snow covered last night but all clear this morning...

090vc02567.jpg

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I'm still liking the PNW's chances of getting a piece of that frigid Arctic air if it eventually attacks the CONUS. We don't need a direct hit.

That person on the left has some serious bell bottoms... I am betting early to mid 1970s.

Easy feat when the landscape is relatively flat with little or no trees.  :)

It's not all that different than parts of the Portland area honestly. Plenty of trees and varied mountain terrain here. I think the main difference is that it is a new small town. 

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

I'm still liking the PNW's chances of getting a piece of that frigid Arctic air if it eventually attacks the CONUS. We don't need a direct hit.

The 06z GFS-FV3 is hinting at this in the long range.

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

I’m sure the ground needs to recover from average rainfall in mid-winter!!

16.5” here over the last month is about as wet as it gets. Shawnigan Lake is probably about 1ft away from the highest I’ve ever seen it. Looks like a few flooded properties.

I am not sure if Jesse is in denial about how much wetter it has been in the northern half of western WA and southern BC... or if he is just jealous.

We can certainly recognize that its been dry in SW WA and Oregon... but he refuses to recognize how wet it has been farther north.    And he lashes out at anyone reporting the wet conditions.

Have you noticed that it feels weird when you end up with a below average temp departure for a month in the past 5 years? It's even weird to get a month that isnt top 10 warmest! That's what's weird and I dont know why nobody else has said it yet. These past 5 years have been extremely warm, even worldwide! If things don't reverse soon, we will actually be in trouble.

At least it has made our gloomy climate much more tolerable. :)

You guys got the wind followed by a little bit of snow. We are getting a bit of both here this morning!

• Like 6

Cold Season 2023/24:

I don't.  It is an El Nino year, after all.  Doesn't make it impossible though, just highly unlikely.  And a huge ridge over us in mid to late January is classic El Nino.

The 06z GFS-FV3 is hinting at this in the long range.

Yeah, I was just about to post it.

The 06z GFS-FV3 trended in the right direction in the long range. Here is what it's operational run shows.

Gigantic potential ahead! Like what Snow_wizard said yesterday, the SSW might finally be coming home to roost!

http://maps2.pivotalweather.com/maps/models/gfs_fv3/2019010706/360/500h_anom.na.png

http://maps2.pivotalweather.com/maps/models/gfs_fv3/2019010706/360/850th_nb.na.png

http://maps2.pivotalweather.com/maps/models/gfs_fv3/2019010706/384/850th_nb.na.png

• Like 2

You guys got the wind followed by a little bit of snow. We are getting a bit of both here this morning!

Great video... you get a good feeling of the conditions.   I got cold just watching it.   :)