Jan. 22nd-23rd Winter Storm

Money

NWS Omaha

@NWSOmaha

·

2m

In the interest of being fully transparent, this is a tough forecast coming up for tomorrow. We do have some computer models that are shifting the axis of heavier snow a little farther south toward Lincoln and Omaha, but some models are not. Still assessing the details.

nws should have bought that lol
  • Like 1

Jfc.... ANOTHER band developing and about to make its way through Lincoln. In the meantime we're back down to light snow. 15.6*F.

Yeah the radar is back filling all around the Omaha and Lincoln metro areas, and the snow shield is really expanding again across Eastern Nebraska. So much for the snow being done around here, this definitely will help add a little bit more to the local storm totals. 

Small flakes/pixie dust right now, but it’s coming down hard. I’d assume it’s because we are in a pocket of lighter returns. I don’t know how flake size was earlier though, I presume bigger as we probably have 1.5-2.0” down so far.

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

Sitting at 1.5 to maybe 2” here in north Omaha and that all fell this afternoon. Basically off and on flurries since then. Been very frustrating to see all the additional accumulating snow stay just south of me by maybe 10 miles in Omaha and points south/southwest of here.

Welcome to the board!

• Like 3

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

We had a nice burst for an hour a bit earlier, the first 1"/hr rate of the season.  During a lull at 10:45pm I measured 2.1".

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Returns are dying out near York. CERTAINLY this has to be the end of it. It can't keep backbuilding forever.... Right?

Seems more pixie dusty so I think this thing might be taking its last breaths. Should be done by 1 or so.

Edit: Right as I say this it picks up a good bit and flake size increases, but still can't go on much longer.

• Like 2

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"