August 2019 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Have a bonfire going right now w wine, along w grapes, cheese and some crackers (and other goodies on the side). Temps tanite will fall into the cool middle 50's under crystal clear skies.

Dare I say it almost smells like Autumn out there this evening.

Also, today had that Fall look for the first time this season w those white/dark cumulus clouds mixing in w that blue sky and a breeze to go w it.

• Like 4

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

We're "supposed" to get down to 54*F tonight, but with the humidity still in the air I heavily doubt that happens. 67.5*F.

No humidity here. Bone-dry evening. Absolutely gorgeous evening here in SEMI. For August, this is a gift this time of the year.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Last nights 00z Euro is painting a near perfect scenario of much needed precip across IA/N IL and surrounding areas.  Most areas are looking pretty good to receive soaking rains and lines up very closely to the 00z GEFS map below.  

gfs-ens_apcpn_us_16.png

Severe Wx threat is increasing on Mon across portions of the MW...models are suggesting a lot of instability...

day3otlk_0730.gif

• Like 2

Once again, DVN & DMX are pretty bullish about a heavy rain swath through Iowa on Monday.  The best chance of severe is in the south while the widespread heavy rain should be in the central/north.  This all happens during the middle of the day, too, and not the middle of the night like usual.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

No humidity here. Bone-dry evening. Absolutely gorgeous evening here in SEMI. For August, this is a gift this time of the year.

Yeah yesterday was picture perfect. I went up to Detroit yesterday and was able to stay outside without needing to drink water. The next 10 days look nice as well, only getting into the upper 80s once and with no lows above 66.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

:(

Hot, follow by hot, with continued hot.

'nuff said.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

69F and light rain. I can’t wait for Fall.

Me too!  Bring it on !

103*............feels like 110* (and NO isn't a dry heat !  :lol:)

DP 68

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

New update. 91 feels like 105 with a 78 dew. I thought we were done with this stuff. I wonder if all of the crops are adding to these remarkably high dews?

It happens here too. DP goes up as the crops mature.

Edit:  I have to add this.  After all the doggone rain we received this year, some areas in West Texas are already seeing drought

drought.jpg

The morning storms skipped over me.  Omaha is finally getting a nice soaking.

I hope the COD radar site gets back up today.

• Like 3

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

The morning storms skipped over me. Omaha is finally getting a nice soaking.

I hope the COD radar site gets back up today.

Finally getting some decent rains for once indeed here in the Omaha metro. Over an inch of rain already this morning with more to come.

First time we have seen rains this heavy in a couple months.

• Like 3

I'm a little concerned about Monday.  The CAMs are now in range and they are not on board the widespread heavy rain through Iowa.  The 3k NAM and HRRR are mostly poofing the MCS as it enters Iowa.

The WPC just removed most the Monday rain for Iowa.  Dangit!  Has a single expected good rain event panned out over the last two months?

Like it's been all summer, we get one chance of rain per week.  If it fails to pan out, the drying continues.

• Like 1

Finished with 1.60 inches of rain in my backyard, extremely happy that we finally picked up some much needed moisture. Some areas in the Omaha metro picked up 3 to 4 inches of rain this morning - pretty impressive swath of heavy precipitation in East Central Nebraska to say the least.

More rain and storms (and possibly more heavy rain) appear to be on the way for this evening and tonight.

• Like 2

Heading for 102* today and tomorrow.

DP 63

Humidity dropping to 32%

Still..............

• Like 1

More rain and storms (and possibly more heavy rain) appear to be on the way for this evening and tonight.

The CAMs really like southeast Nebraska late tonight/early morning.

• Like 1

That was pretty cool... my first funnel cloud.  I went to the open field near my house to check on some plants I have out there when I saw what looked like a developing funnel to the wnw.  It drifted south and became better defined over the next 5-10 minutes, then dissipated.  The local news was showing photos.

• Like 2

Hi everyone! I've been following this forum since earlier this year and I absolutely love it.  I have learned so much already!  I'm a newbie to responding to someone's post specifically, and don't know how to tag an individual yet, but OKwx2k4, it looks like that is a Winged Sumac: http://www.pwconserve.org/plants/sumacwinged.htm.  Hope that helps!

• Like 4

Hi everyone! I've been following this forum since earlier this year and I absolutely love it. I have learned so much already! I'm a newbie to responding to someone's post specifically, and don't know how to tag an individual yet, but OKwx2k4, it looks like that is a Winged Sumac: http://www.pwconserve.org/plants/sumacwinged.htm. Hope that helps!

Welcome!

The evening CAMs have become more favorable for east-central Iowa.  The 3k NAM and HRRR both show the initial MCS crapping out over Iowa, but the MCV re-fires my mid afternoon and sends some good cells through the CR area.

It still isn’t working properly for me and it was like this for a few days now.

Oddly, the two browser tabs I've had running the COD Des Moines and Quad Cities radar loops all day continue to refresh and work fine, but I am unable to connect to the COD site otherwise.

• Like 1

Celebrating passing of the end of what is usually the hardest week of summer in my area. It's all downhill from here folks. :)

If hour 300 keeps coming in like that over and over in GFS runs, it may be over like a 9th round K.O. Summer is usually 12 rounds of hades for me. Nice stuff in the NW. As I stated before, up north will be fun to watch over the next 9-10 days.

• Like 1

That was pretty cool... my first funnel cloud.  I went to the open field near my house to check on some plants I have out there when I saw what looked like a developing funnel to the wnw.  It drifted south and became better defined over the next 5-10 minutes, then dissipated.  The local news was showing photos.

I saw that cell from my place while I was doing my chores, but I noticed it’s a small storm or shower. After awhile it lost it’s hard outline and dissipated. I didn’t realize it was over CR. & was tornado warned till I was checking out archived radar.

I overslept this morning and was running late and didn’t really have time to check out this forum.

Today’s recap.... Around dawn I heard distant thunder way down here from the storms near Hawkeye. Was disappointed that the sw. Ia. complex lasted all am. till rapidly dying out as it moved in around 1:30pm. I picked up only 0.04” rainfall today with 0.03” of that last night.

The NWS isn’t very bullish on heavy rainfall anymore and neither am I. The next MCS is poorly timed once again and I’m afraid it will weaken as it approaches tomorrow forenoon and blow up just to the se. in the afternoon. Hopefully that doesn’t happen.

Here is a fun fact. So far this summer Grand Rapids has only had 10 thunderstorms so the thunderstorm drought continues here in my area. What makes that even more odd is that is has been warm and humid on many days.

Is that thunder days (when thunder is heard) or actual thunderstorms over the city? Here we’ve had plenty of thunder days earlier this summer, but t. storms actually hitting have been kind of rare.