19 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

If I had to bet $1,000... I would say the ECMWF comes in much closer to the GEM.

And why don't they have DraftKings and FanDuel for betting on weather models??   😀

Check out Kalshi if you want to lose money on events like this.

Located near Covington / Black Diamond, WA. Elevation ~550 ft.

8 minutes ago, Hyperbolic Trendz said:

You often refer to faulty teleconnections as the primary culprit in fall-apart modeled patterns. I’ve got a (at best) rudimentary understanding of what you’re referring to but I’d like to know more.  If you have a second, how would you explain that somewhat simplistically (beyond just upstream dynamics)?Thanks.  And what are you seeing in that regard currently?

Most models have shown the PNA, NAO, and EPO all deeply negative at the same time during this upcoming possible event.  When all three of those are tanked it's almost impossible for us to not be cold.

With those indices minus it means sharp ridging in the following places...

PNA - over the NE Pacific

EPO - over AK

NAO - over the western Atlantic

• Like 4

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, TacomaWx said:

The ensembles look juuust slightly better though. 

Yep. Tiny shift, but it’s an improvement nonetheless.

• Like 4

Nice to see the GFS gets good too.  Overall still a chilly run there.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

4 minutes ago, MV_snow said:

For those of you worried about “too cold to snow” or “suppression depression” , our failure mode for snow here is almost always lacking arctic air rather than precip missing us to the south. I can only remember that happening in Jan 2017 here in the last decade although I’m sure there have been others. We can usually at least score an overrunning event at the end.

I’m on team historic arctic at this point even if this decreases total snow amounts around the sound. Would be cool to experience. And if snow misses us to the south, maybe we’d hear the end of complaints out of Eugene for a while!

Yeah.  Jan 1950 wasn't too cold for snow.

• Like 4
  • Shivering 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

3 minutes ago, MV_snow said:

For those of you worried about “too cold to snow” or “suppression depression” , our failure mode for snow here is almost always lacking arctic air rather than precip missing us to the south. I can only remember that happening in Jan 2017 here in the last decade although I’m sure there have been others. We can usually at least score an overrunning event at the end.

I’m on team historic arctic at this point even if this decreases total snow amounts around the sound. Would be cool to experience. And if snow misses us to the south, maybe we’d hear the end of complaints out of Eugene for a while!

It was really, really cold in Feb of 2014 for the Seahawks Superbowl Parade, but I don't remember it snowing around then. Of course that day was the day we had the anatomy scan for our youngest, so I may have had other things on my mind.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MV_snow said:

For you to my south, yes. Here, plenty cold but too dry is a common snowfail scenario. In fact, we're probably due for it.

It's called clown range for a reason.

The GEFs gets pretty cold.  A notch colder than the 12z and 18z.

• Like 4

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

00z GFS ensembles decently colder form the 18z GFS ensembles.

00z GFS ensembles MUCH colder than that 00z GFS

Good sign 

• Like 6

--------------------

Sean Nyberg

IG: @SeanNyberg

X:   @SeanNyberg

Facebook: Sean Nyberg

12 minutes ago, Hyperbolic Trendz said:

You often refer to faulty teleconnections as the primary culprit in fall-apart modeled patterns. I’ve got a (at best) rudimentary understanding of what you’re referring to but I’d like to know more.  If you have a second, how would you explain that somewhat simplistically (beyond just upstream dynamics)?Thanks.  And what are you seeing in that regard currently?

I keep it pretty simple, mainly just historic pattern recognition at the 500mb level. It’s not universal but 570dm is pretty good over/under on GOA (~150w) ridge strength when it comes to Omega block setups. When you fall significantly short of that, it’s tough to get the necessary push/pull for an Arctic air mass to make meaningful progress to the south and west. When I see a ton of runs which are balls deep aggressive and GOA ridge support is hanging out in the mid-550’s or even lower, it’s pretty suspect.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Shivering 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

5 minutes ago, Perturbed Member said:

Last 3 UKMET runs

500h_anom.conus.png

500h_anom.conus.png

500h_anom.conus.png

A small improvement from the crap 12z run maybe but not where it needs to be unfortunately. 

I'd call that a fairly significant improvement but obviously not to the standards of previous runs

• Like 4

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

1 hour ago, Requiem said:

I've been posting since 2018 but we're going to ignore that first year and a half...

I enjoyed that timeframe when you joined.  You were a refreshing add to the group….I’m being serious too.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CliffMassYelledAtMe said:

It was really, really cold in Feb of 2014 for the Seahawks Superbowl Parade, but I don't remember it snowing around then. Of course that day was the day we had the anatomy scan for our youngest, so I may have had other things on my mind.

Would be kind of fitting to have the Huskies championship coincide with a big winter event in the same way the Seahawks winning did.

• Like 2
  • Excited 2
  • bongocat-test 1

The Missoula NWS office noted the weakening of the arctic event as shown on some models in their area forecast discussion today, but they left the door open to a re-intensification.  For what it's worth.  

Winter weather will not end on Wednesday, especially for residents
of northwest Montana. An arctic cold front will breach the
Continental Divide from the east on Wednesday evening or Thursday
morning. While some model solutions have backed off on the
duration and intensity of this event (for now!), you should still
expect bitter cold temperatures and dangerous wind chills across
northwest Montana along the Continental Divide by Thursday.

Just flat out insane trying to keep up with these crazy models.  Nice to see two so far have had epic cold solutions.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Out to 132hrs GEPS is slightly better with the block and more negative tilt to the trough but operational run is still a major outlier.

• Confused 1
  • bongocat-test 1

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Out to 132hrs GEPS is slightly better with the block and more negative tilt to the trough but operational run is still a major outlier.

Ah yes, classic Phil, a twinge of encouragement but still gets that unneeded shot of reality in there........

• lol 5

Looks like a little over a third of the GEFS members go sub -10 on 850s.

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

4 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Just flat out insane trying to keep up with these crazy models.  Nice to see two so far have had epic cold solutions.

The ICON and GEM were truly EPIC tonight. I just don’t see the EURO changing that much from what it’s been showing. I think it’s going to hold serve again. It also wouldn’t surprise me if it went crazy cold like the ICON/GEM since it’s been in the cold camp. And it showed some frigid cold runs earlier. Gonna save the best for last!