25 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Often happens so would not be surprised either.  

This map is from 10 p.m. Wednesday through 10 p.m. Thursday so it encompasses the entire arctic front passage.   Also includes lots cold onshore flow snow in the Cascades before the arctic front.  

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-snow_24hr_kuchera-5039200 (2).png

Based on that I will be lucky to get an 1 inch with the front. 

• Like 1

Just now, SnowWillarrive said:

Based on that I will be lucky to get an 1 inch with the front. 

That is what it shows now... but that is probably the most interesting aspect to be tracking the next 3 days looking for trends or hints of meso-low development.  

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Just now, TT-SEA said:

That is what it shows now... but that is probably the most interesting aspect to be tracking the next 3 days looking for trends or hints of meso-low development.  

100% chance new stuff will show up. I feel a great chance for a good overrunning event that might warm us up a little for a day and then drop back down.

• Like 8

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

Especially good to keep an eye on the short-term models (HRRR, HRDPS, NAM 3km, etc.). Have had them pick up on last-minute surprise snowfalls here several times.

• Like 5
It's called clown range for a reason.

Another thing you have to remember.  Arctic air snow is different,  you can get much more accumulation with 2 tenths of water than you normally would. When it is 25 degrees it can dump 3 inches real quick when the ratio is so high.

• Like 5
  • Excited 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

5 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I am not totally sure of the set up with the November 2006 arctic front... but I remember we only got about an inch out here while Issaquah had a foot and I think the same thing happened in the south Sound.    I can't ever remember another time when Issaquah had that much more snow than out here.  It was surreal driving west on I-90 the next day and seeing the snow get deeper and deeper.  Its almost always the opposite.   Issaquah was buried and there must not have been much wind because the trees were all holding onto the snow.   It was gorgeous.  

I thought at the time that the cold air from the north down through the Sound caused upsloping against the Issaquah Alps and the hills south of the Puget Sound but left us essentially shadowed in North Bend.  

The best event EVER!! 
Over 24hrs straight of wet snow (about 15”) then a transition to about 3” of powder as the arctic front pushed through at the Lake Goodwin area. 

I remember the day before the festivities started things were not looking good, perhaps an inch with arctic passage but was otherwise looking like a non event. Both Brennan and I were quite bummed. Then we got nuked and Jim was not a happy camper! 

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

3 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Another thing you have to remember.  Arctic air snow is different,  you can get much more accumulation with 2 tenths of water than you normally would. When it is 25 degrees it can dump 3 inches real quick when the ratio is so high.

It’s really easy for the models to miss a couple hundredths of an inch of precipitation. We weren’t supposed to get anything really in December 2022 but we had close to an inch on the night of 12/20. Normally a couple hundredths of precip when it’s just a 40 degree night would go completely unnoticed. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

KOIN going with a high of 20 next Saturday. 

IMG_2571.thumb.jpeg.1f5420f611e185e5a26149a6d77fc28a.jpeg

Going to be interesting if Rod's warm GFS wins the day (or is it, loses the day) .  We'll see what Uncle Marky has to say tomorrow. 

• Like 3

This is going to be a snowy storm. We’re starting to see the first hints of a few opportunities, this is just going to grow as we get closer.

There’s a lot of *stuff* happening with this system and it’s not hard to drum up a few inches out of very little with these temperatures.

• Like 6

--------------------

Sean Nyberg

IG: @SeanNyberg

X:   @SeanNyberg

Facebook: Sean Nyberg

4 minutes ago, Doinko said:

ICON looks snowy for the Valley Wednesday morning
prateptype_cat_icon-imp.us_nw.png
sfct-imp.us_nw.png

ICON is stingy with snow too... that is interesting. 

• Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Just now, Doinko said:

ICON looks snowy for the Valley Wednesday morning
prateptype_cat_icon-imp.us_nw.png
sfct-imp.us_nw.png

Looking more and more likely that someone will go isothermal with that setup given the precip rates and dead gradients on the immediate north side of the low. The overnight timing certainly doesn't hurt either.

Just a question of where that sweet spot sets up. Probably won't be more than a 30-40 mile bubble and could be anywhere from Corvallis up to Castle Rock.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Looking more and more likely that someone will go isothermal with that setup given the precip rates and dead gradients on the immediate north side of the low. The overnight timing certainly doesn't hurt either.

Just a question of where that sweet spot sets up. Probably won't be more than a 30-40 mile bubble and could be anywhere from Corvallis up to Castle Rock.

Fun!

• Like 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

NWS forecast a 1500 snow level Saturday?  How?

• Like 1
  • lol 3
  • Facepalm 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, Roman-Dallas Snow-Zone said:

I can feel it, somebody is gonna get buried under 12"-18" snow dump in the valley!!

If someone does I hope Corvallis is on the cusp of it. I could use a few extra days off from college. Fall terms been rough on me

• Like 4