2 hours ago, SnowWillarrive said:

Sounds like they have more faith in the GFS

The GFS has been ridiculously stubborn, and I well know these things usually push moisture north of what is modeled.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, Requiem said:

What seems apparent at the moment is we will have a moisture-laden system collide with frigid air. This is our setup, guys. We wait weeks and months every winter for fleeting chances like this, and as of now it seems like somewhere between Eugene and Bellingham will have a bonafide snowstorm. I think this is enough to be happy about for the current moment 

Easy for you to say from your comfortable snowy throne in Portland!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Almost all of the EPS members are south on Saturday now. 

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-nw-snow_6hr_multimember_panel_ecmwf_a-5168800 (1).png

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-nw-snow_6hr_multimember_panel_ecmwf_b-5168800 (1).png

Yeah, I think there's a good chance at the moment that this ends up being much ado about nothing as it trends drier for everybody. Definitely noticed a tendency for a bit less offshore cyclogenesis and less dynamic phasing of the energy on the more southward models like the ICON and UKMET, so you see a lot more blank looking snow maps here as that thing kind of just stumbles out of the picture.

• Like 1
  • Sick 1

1 minute ago, Requiem said:

What seems apparent at the moment is we will have a moisture-laden system collide with frigid air. This is our setup, guys. We wait weeks and months every winter for fleeting chances like this, and as of now it seems like somewhere between Eugene and Bellingham will have a bonafide snowstorm. I think this is enough to be happy about for the current moment 

Exactly.  Nobody...and I mean nobody knows where that moisture is going for sure.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

5 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I can't believe how he picked the one that would screw almost all of us.

Because Jim we are all selfish when it comes to snow it’s just how we are!! I’m sure that track would absolutely bury Randy

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

(Previous name: MillCreekMike)

Everett, WA (elev. 180’)

2023-2024 Snowfall:

1/11: Tr.

1/18: Tr.

Go M’s

2 minutes ago, MillCreekMike said:

Because Jim we are all selfish when it comes to snow it’s just how we are!! I’m sure that track would absolutely bury Randy

There are others that would do well for him and include a lot more people.

• Excited 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

9 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

The point is it will probably trend north a bit more tonight like the 18z vs 12z.  It's like you have given up hope already.

Its EPS data... so its separate from wants and desires.  Just the cold hard facts!  😀

And I agree that a northward trend is probably likely given our experience with these situation in the past.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

3 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Exactly.  Nobody...and I mean nobody knows where that moisture is going for sure.

Agree with this statement.   It sort of explodes in place so that is going to be hard for the models to handle.   We can just look for consistency.  

• Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

5 minutes ago, KingstonWX said:

Easy for you to say from your comfortable snowy throne in Portland!

I'm in Eugene!

• Like 3
  • Excited 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

7 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

Seems like this has happens nearly every time in these battleground setups (Nov 2010, Jan 2011, Jan 2012, early Feb 2014, late Feb 2014, Jan 2020, Feb 2021, etc)

Models almost always overestimate how quickly the arctic air moves South and therefore overestimate how much it suppresses the incoming low. This also often allows the storm to deepen stronger than modeled and come in further North. 

Not saying the GFS solution will be correct, but the fact it’s so strong/North gives me pause to believe the far South solutions. Big runs ahead.

In recent memory it seems that the arctic air is more of a trickle. 

16 minutes ago, FroYoBro said:

Power is out in my neighborhood for the rest of the night. A branch fell on top of the line down the street, caught on fire and then I heard the transformer blew. Going to be a cold, dark and incredibly snowy night here! 

You southerners are having all the fun. 😞

• Sick 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

13 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

Seems like this has happens nearly every time in these battleground setups (Nov 2010, Jan 2011, Jan 2012, early Feb 2014, late Feb 2014, Jan 2020, Feb 2021, etc)

Models almost always overestimate how quickly the arctic air moves South and therefore overestimate how much it suppresses the incoming low. This also often allows the storm to deepen stronger than modeled and come in further North. 

Not saying the GFS solution will be correct, but the fact it’s so strong/North gives me pause to believe the far South solutions. Big runs ahead.

Great take! 

• Like 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

2 minutes ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

36 degrees and pouring. Been a very wet day.

Conversely.... its been pretty dry here since this morning.   And windy.

2 minutes ago, Kolk1604 said:

00z NBM still solid for seattle south 

nbm-conus-or_wa-total_snow-5406400.png

That is of course just reflecting the GFS in there.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MillCreekMike said:

Was it one of last winters snow events where the low tracked about like that? Was forecasted to come in slightly south but ended up being stronger than modeled which left a lot of sad people south of Marysville or so? Meanwhile I stayed in the 20’s with heavy snow falling. 

Edited by MossMan
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Olympia cut off like this?  

Side note... this is actually a southward shift for the control run from its 00Z and 06Z runs.

ecmwf-ensemble-c00-nw-precip_24hr_inch-5190400 (1).png

A few things that I think might make the QPF amounts on the GFS verify. The source region is straight from Hawaii and PWAT values are pretty high. It’s meeting an extremely cold airmass, as Dewey mentioned yesterday, lots of isentropic lift. Lastly, the NAM, GFS and GEM have both been bullish on developing a surface low out ahead of the parent low. The Euro toyed around with it yesterday but has since taken it away. image.thumb.png.7b53861b37ce90588f3f84c2b6d14f54.png

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Was it one of last winters snow events where the low tracked about like that? Was forecasted to come in slightly south but ended up being stronger than modeled which left a lot of sad people south of Marysville or so? 

I think that was either last year or the year before. I remember expecting a decent dump of snow and it started out nice but once the low came inland it pulled a bunch of warm air up and turned to rain for me and most of the Seattle metro area. 

Come to think of it, that has happened quite a bit in my 40+ years of hoping for snow. Those events always make people disregard the snow forecasts for the remainder of the season, then get caught surprised when the next one hits. 

8 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Was it one of last winters snow events where the low tracked about like that? Was forecasted to come in slightly south but ended up being stronger than modeled which left a lot of sad people south of Marysville or so? Meanwhile I stayed in the 20’s with heavy snow falling. 

Hmm. I think I know what you’re talking about but can’t quite put my finger on it. I remember last year I was really hoping I’d stay away from ZR on 12/23 but walked out at 3:30am to drive to work and it was 22 and raining. Most terrifying drive of my life. It might have been that event.

• Like 1

(Previous name: MillCreekMike)

Everett, WA (elev. 180’)

2023-2024 Snowfall:

1/11: Tr.

1/18: Tr.

Go M’s

Just now, Front Ranger said:

You're the biggest power outage fan I know, Randy. 

So true!   

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

00z NAM shifted the Portland snow north a bit. Based off this it looks like the EPSL could get some snow tonight too.

IMG_6441.png

• Like 1
  • Sick 1

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3