December 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

Y'all should be drooling over the 12z GEFS. Perfect EAMT/NAMT synchronicity w/ the tropical forcing/poleward WAFs. That's how you build an AK/Arctic block and downstream SE ridge.

Also, via this particular conduit, you guys wouldn't even need stratospheric help to maintain the proper waveguide. Perfect way to prevent a tropospheric coupling with the PV so long as the tropical/extratropical forcing connection holds.

• Like 2

Y'all should be drooling over the 12z GEFS. Perfect EAMT/NAMT synchronicity w/ the tropical forcing/poleward WAFs. That's how you build an AK/Arctic block and downstream SE ridge.

I'm just loving the blocking we're seeing this season so far, with no sign of it going away any time soon.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

We need some consistency. Two days ago long range ensembles looked nothing like this.

The CFS believe it or not DID show this setup coming around mid month about a week ago...

• Like 1

I'm just loving the blocking we're seeing this season so far, with no sign of it going away any time soon.

Same. That recent MJO passage appears to have rejiggered the background wavetrain just enough (broadened Walker Cell and slightly retracted Pacific Hadley Cell) to allow the more classic Niña mode of +QBO/off-equator WPAC forcing to take hold and build the NPAC anticyclone poleward.

Ironically, the fact the Niña background was so weak earlier was probably a benefit..otherwise it might have resisted the intraseasonal/MJO forcing that altered it in your favor. Amazing how complicated and unpredictable this stuff can be.

• Like 1

1 1/3 km WRF shows 2-4 inch totals for tomorrow morning across the PDX metro. 

Soundings right before precip arrives indicate about 34-35F at the surface:

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/mm5rt/data/current_gfs/images_d4/kpdx.24.0000.snd.gif

By 7 AM, airmass is saturated and surface is 32-33F with about 2 inches of snow on the ground and a bit more snow to fall:

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/mm5rt/data/current_gfs/images_d4/kpdx.27.0000.snd.gif

In reality it will probably be just a bit too warm for this to happen. 

• Like 1

1 1/3 km WRF shows 2-4 inch totals for tomorrow morning across the PDX metro.

Soundings right before precip arrives indicate about 34-35F at the surface:

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/mm5rt/data/current_gfs/images_d4/kpdx.24.0000.snd.gif

By 7 AM, airmass is saturated and surface is 32-33F with about 2 inches of snow on the ground and a bit more snow to fall:

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/mm5rt/data/current_gfs/images_d4/kpdx.27.0000.snd.gif

In reality it will probably be just a bit too warm for this to happen.

Timing and precip rates look good, though. I like the idea of a general 1-2" above 200' in that 6am to 10am period. I don't think anything will stick at sea level.

• Like 1

Hail covered roads currently at the Clinton ferry dock on Whidbey Island. Nice little CZ up there.

east-clinteast.jpg

My friend who lives up there also sent a picture of her yard covered in hail.

west-clintwest (1).jpg

• Like 3

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

Timing and precip rates look good, though. I like the idea of a general 1-2" above 200' in that 6am to 10am period. I don't think anything will stick at sea level.

1-2 inches @ 200' and above would cover most of the metro and would probably make most weather nerds here happy. Probably trace at best for downtown/airport. 

Base at the Summit at Snoqualmie got 19 inches of snow over night.

Now at 30 inches at the base and at least 60 inches on top (although that number has not been updated for awhile).   

They are assessing the situation this morning and it sounds like they will be opening soon.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Everett reporting light snow and 36 now.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Pretty fun morning ... Dropped rapidly down to 34.2 this morning with pretty heavy ice pellet shower. It was fun to see my temp go from 39 to 34 in less than an hour. Warmed back up now (which was expected) but having this and knowing it can only get better is awesome!  :wub:  ^_^

Agreed. Can't really keep ignoring the WRF and soundings at this point. I'm thinking the NWS will be tweaking things this afternoon showing accumulations down to ~200'.

Timing is great for accumulations, not so great for commuters tomorrow morning, especially over Sylvan Hill/Burnside etc.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/wrfrt/data/2016120412/images_d4/msnow24.36.0000.gif

Shows 5-8" of snowfall for me over the next 24 hours, I'll take it!

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Also, via this particular conduit, you guys wouldn't even need stratospheric help to maintain the proper waveguide. Perfect way to prevent a tropospheric coupling with the PV so long as the tropical/extratropical forcing connection holds.

I just took a look at updated run of all the 12z GFS ensembles at Day 12 and Day 15 and lots of members have an Arctic Blast for the PNW on either on those days. 11/20 members or 55% show an Arctic Blast at one point in their run. I've never seen this many ensembles this bullish on Arctic air ever n the long range. I have a feeling your forecast of a possible Arctic Blast for us mid/late December will be right. 

http://i.imgur.com/3kSu39V.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/OsnTibz.gif

f3e7e3bf2f29b1e9cdb92d7e39e709f1.jpg

Shows 5-8" of snowfall for me over the next 24 hours, I'll take it!

I am still a little bummed it  STILL shows a trace to nothing for my location here in the swamp... I had hoped it would have improved but been pretty consistent. 

HRRR likes some accumulation in the N Interior and Vancouver BC area tonight.

hrrr.gif

Hopefully

2013/2014 Winter season

Coldest Low: 14 F December 7th

Coldest High: 27.3 F December 7th

Coldest Wind chill: 5 F December 7th

Lowest Dew Point: -2.2 F December 6th

Days below freezing: 5

Total Snowfall: 11 inches

Most snowfall in a Day: 8 inches

Days With Snow: 3

It is almost time to start watching the HRRR radar loops for tomorrow morning in the Portland area. I always like following the HRRR for moisture when events are close. 

Its already time.. some updates run the loop out through tomorrow night.  

Here is one that did go all the way out.

http://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/HRRR/jsloopLocalDiskDateDomainZipTZA.cgi?dsKeys=hrrr_jet:&runTime=2016120415&plotName=1ref_t1sfc&fcstInc=60&numFcsts=37&model=hrrr&ptitle=HRRR%20Model%20Fields%20-%20Experimental&maxFcstLen=36&fcstStrLen=-1&resizePlot=1&domain=t1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

The WRF is currently showing more snow over Victoria in the next 48 hours than there has been in the past 4 years. That said the snowfall totals it's shown over the Island have been pretty inconsistent. It hasn't made up its mind on whether things are going to stall and dump over East Vancouver Island, or slide south and given widespread totals of 2"+. I've learned to be skeptical of the totals this model shows, often it underdoes it in the initial snow for full on Arctic blasts and overdoes it in more marginal/overrunning situations. This time it's a tough call because this is setting up to be more of a hybrid, not quite a traditional Artic blast but much colder than the more typical marginal events where the WRF shows large accumulations with 925mb temps never falling below -2C.

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/wrfrt/data/2016120412/images_d4/wa_snow48.48.0000.gif

• Like 1

The WRF is currently showing more snow over Victoria in the next 48 hours than there has been in the past 4 years. That said the snowfall totals it's shown over the Island have been pretty inconsistent. It hasn't made up its mind on whether things are going to stall and dump over East Vancouver Island, or slide south and given widespread totals of 2"+. I've learned to be skeptical of the totals this model shows, often it underdoes it in the initial snow for full on Arctic blasts and overdoes it in more marginal/overrunning situations. This time it's a tough call because this is setting up to be more of a hybrid, not quite a traditional Artic blast but much colder than the more typical marginal events where the WRF shows large accumulations with 925mb temps never falling below -2C.

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/wrfrt/data/2016120412/images_d4/wa_snow48.48.0000.gif

I like the purples near Shawnigan lake.

So..here's how mid/late December could overperform all expectations, via a troposphere/stratosphere PV coupling right over west/central Canada.

Some modeling (including the 12z GFS/GEFS) sends WAFz into the stratPV via the NATL, following the ongoing CW event. So, mass flux increases upon propagation into western Eurasia, and an appendage of the PV strengthens over west/central Canada following the wave2 cycle response.

So, when we cycle from wave2 back into wave1, the dominant PV lobe consolidates over western Canada, while the Eurasian portion of the PV gets blasted. So, via that GOA/EPO ridge, the big vortex in west/central Canada can couple with the PV there while the wave1/MT shot out of Eurasia bombards the polar domain with WAFz/blocking, forcing the entire lower PV column into western Canada.

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/5309EB33-342B-4F03-890F-10DB6F57E9D0_zpsdptzbzow.jpg

Then we'd have a mostly coupled PV sitting somewhere in the vicinity of Alberta, possibly ready to unload over the region if we can keep wave driving/blocking going. So while we'd be playing with possible +EPO fire if the wave driving fails, it could also turn into something historic if everything is of sufficient amplitude and is timed properly.

• Like 6