PNW December 2022 - Part II

Guest hawkstwelve

11 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Downslope gonna be hungry.

I'm leaning towards just flurries/virga with that first band, and all sleet with the 2nd band once the airmass actually saturates a bit. 

Definitely. Things could start very similar to 12/18/05 where areas just south of the river saw some decent accumulations with the initial warm frontogenesis. I’m sitting at ground zero for the downslope. Looks like Larch should be gusting 50+ for at least 24 hours starting tomorrow afternoon.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Just now, TacomaWx said:

Wow down to 30 at sea tac. It’s gonna get really interesting soon. Getting a good north wind here. 

ECMWF showed 34 or 35 at this time.  Wow wee!!!!

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just now, snow_wizard said:

From what I can tell temps are running to 3 to 5 colder in areas where the north winds have taken over compared to ECMWF expectations.  Big big deal.

Just wish we had a couple more hours of precip to work with. We can hope for the CZ tonight to overperform though! 

• Like 6

Just now, TacomaWx said:

Wow down to 30 at sea tac. It’s gonna get really interesting soon. Getting a good north wind here. 

Rain/snow mix here and 33. I doubt we might be able to get any accumulation with the amount of water everywhere 

2 minutes ago, Doinko said:

Euro looks interesting around hr 168. Seems windy

prateptype_cat_ecmwf.na.png

For Portland I think big winds will happen a lot sooner than that.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just now, SouthHillFrosty said:

Rain/snow mix here and 33. I doubt we might be able to get any accumulation with the amount of water everywhere 

Everywhere else has gone to sticking pretty much immediately.  People are really underestimating the power of this cold air advecting in.

• Like 4

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

That's what I thought too, but the temp dropped so fast and you still have fairly heavy precip that I think you should still see accumulation.

• Like 1

2022-23 Winter:

11/29: .25" + 1" = 1.25" | 11/30: .25"

12/2: .2" + .5" = .7" | 12/3: .2" | 12/4: trace

12/18: .4" | 12/19: .2" + .8" = 1.0" | 12/20: .2 + 1.5" = 1.7

1/31: trace | 2/14: trace | 2/22: .2 | 2/26: 1.0"

Total: 6.7"

Just now, bainbridgekid said:

SEA down to 30 now. 13 degree drop in 90 minutes!

It seems the ECMWF has just underestimated the low level cold pretty much everywhere in the Puget Sound area and Whatcom County.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just now, joelgombiner said:

That was not a problem here with the intensity of precip and the flash freeze. 

Flash freezes are so cool!

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just now, snow_wizard said:

It seems the ECMWF has just underestimated the low level cold pretty much everywhere in the Puget Sound area and Whatcom County.

Definitely appears that way now... it will be interesting to see what happens to temps in the Seattle area this afternoon when the precip is gone.  

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

4 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Everywhere else has gone to sticking pretty much immediately.  People are really underestimating the power of this cold air advecting in.

Yes absolutely. Didn’t stick on deep puddles and in the road gutters at first but everywhere else, including the road, started almost instantly due to how hard it was coming down (and that the switch happened at exactly 32.0)

• Shivering 1

5 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Definitely. Things could start very similar to 12/18/05 where areas just south of the river saw some decent accumulations with the initial warm frontogenesis. I’m sitting at ground zero for the downslope. Looks like Larch should be gusting 50+ for at least 24 hours starting tomorrow afternoon.

Yeah, there was a definite E-W divide with that one due to the dry air advection off the foothills. Had a windswept 1/4" in Brush Prairie but areas to the south and to the west of I-5 generally had 1+" and Scappoose had 2-3".

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gummy said:

Yea, it is giving Seattle a little 1" tease on the way out

Pretty much SOP for an arctic front in Seattle. Have had somewhat better luck up this way, but even so, the recent string of cold snaps with snowy arctic front passages has been a bit like buying winning lottery tickets a few times in a row. At this stage I am probably due to experience a streak of dry blasts.

It's called clown range for a reason.

Down to 32 at weather station just 4 or 5 miles NW of here.  36 here.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

What a fun morning... about as dynamic as it gets with that low passing right over Seattle.     We went from the house shaking in the wind and rain pounding against the windows and the power out to gentle, calm snow falling in about an hour.

• Like 7

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

That airmass was much warmer than this one right?

How well did the metro area do as a whole?

Being on the far western end of the metro I think I should be safe from that downsloping but the outflow of cold air will also be shallower. Sometimes these far west areas especially around Forest Grove and Banks do pretty well from damming up a bunch of cold air against the coast range but not sure that will be deep enough to matter here. 

• Like 2

Just now, BLI snowman said:

Yeah, there was a definite E-W divide with that one due to the dry air advection off the foothills. Had a windswept 1/4" in Brush Prairie but areas to the south and to the west of I-5 generally had 1+" and Scappoose had 2-3".

I'm in the west metro, but do you think the wind could reduce our snow chances initially? The WRF-GFS is showing 55mph+ gusts accelerating down the west hills, but much lighter wind just a few miles S/W.

• Like 1