PNW February 2023 Weather Discussion - Meteorological winter finale

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

If I were you, I’d dive 100% in. Make the biggest change possible.

Lake Tahoe or Truckee CA. Coastal Maine. Buffalo NY. Something that is totally new, of which you have no prior knowledge or expectations.

Seems a bit nuts to move that far away for snow. Plenty of places in the PNW would be better in terms of livability. 

No offense to California or NY 😆

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I don't really want insane amounts of snow, but I want somewhere cold enough so there is always a reasonable amount on the ground.

If you’re sure you don’t want huge snowfall amounts, then maybe Tahoe or Buffalo aren’t for you.

But I still believe you need to move out of the region completely. You know too much about it. Something entirely new will rekindle that spark of interest that got you into the weather in the first place. It’s probably been dormant for awhile.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

Lake Tahoe or Truckee CA. Coastal Maine. Buffalo NY. Something that is totally new, of which you have no prior knowledge or expectations.

I'm more into the humid continental / cold steppe transition type climate.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, Phil said:

If you’re sure you don’t want huge snowfall amounts, then maybe Tahoe or Buffalo aren’t for you.

But I still believe you need to move out of the region completely. You know too much about it. Something entirely new will rekindle that spark and re-ignite your passion for weather.

I think he’d like Spokane. About 50"/year. Reasonably snowy without being insanely so, and not terribly far away.

• Like 4
It's called clown range for a reason.

4 minutes ago, SnowWillarrive said:

Seems a bit nuts to move that far away for snow. Plenty of places in the PNW would be better in terms of livability. 

There are some areas of this state that have a great climate.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just now, SnowWillarrive said:

Spokane WA sounds like a decent start if you want to stay in the PNW, to a snowier climate and be in an area where there is work to find on every block and probably not particularly high crime compared to other larger cities.

I was going to move there. Seemed like a bigger version of Klamath Falls. Snow will occur every year, but there is one in every 3 or 4 winters that doesn't do much. I'd hate to pick Wyoming or part of Montana, that's too much winter and prolonged cold for me. 

• Like 2

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

21 minutes ago, Phil said:
11 minutes ago, Phil said:

Thats what I did when I got sick of San Jose's non weather. It also helped that I could afford to buy a place in Tahoe but would never be able to in San Jose. 😀

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

I think he’d like Spokane. About 50"/year. Reasonably snowy without being insanely so, and not terribly far away.

If distance is a limiting factor then absolutely.

But if it isn’t, then I’d go for something entirely new to me. I know I’d enjoy living high in the Appalachians, but it wouldn’t be new to me. I already know so much about that region (in terms of climate, culture, geography, etc).

I’m 75% certain I’m going to end up in Colorado. If not there, then probably the upper Midwest. Or even the PNW. 😂 Somewhere I’ll develop an entirely new type of knowledge and lived experiences. I won’t get any of that if I stay near here.

• Like 2

Wow, looks like a heavy snow shower has setup around Tigard over the last hour. My roommate just sent me a picture that there is about an inch at the house right now. 

I’m taking care of a dog in Tualatin just a few miles away and there is absolutely nothing on the ground here. Very localized and now I wish I was back home! 

Edited by FroYoBro
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Sorry people...I'm not going to pretend to be happy for all of the people who got snow today...pretty much everyone except here it would appear.

I hate this fukking place with a passion.  One of the biggest regrets of my life was not getting out of this hell hole when I was younger when it would have been much easier.

This is a cautionary tale for any young people on here who don't like the climate.  It will only get worse for you if you don't leave when you have the chance.

If it makes you feel any better we haven't had any measureable show this week either, and the ~6.5" of snow this month is our snowiest in 6 years

• scream 1

14 minutes ago, AlTahoe said:

That’s awesome dude. You never know till you try it.

It’ll be hard for me to leave the place I’ve lived my entire first 30yrs in, but I know that’s just human psychology borne out of millions of years of evolution. The better we understood our surroundings, the more likely we were to survive. It’s why people are resistant to change, whether it be geographic, cultural, etc. Overcoming that is how we evolve further.

51 minutes ago, AlTahoe said:

I am currently at 236" of snow with another 8-15" tonight and another 12" this weekend. For the banana belt of Tahoe near the shore these totals are insane. 

How high does this winter rank for you? Been watching those Lake Tahoe cameras with envy. 😂 But also with innate happiness. I always catch feels watching snow fall.

Fairly intense and sustained snow has re-covered the plowed roads and will likely make for a lovely commute in the morning once it freezes over 🙃

• Like 4

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

2 minutes ago, Olive1010 said:

What if there was showers tonight?

There won't be. 

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

As long as we learn not to trust GFS snow maps/boundary layer output we should be fine going forward. Will prevent a lot of heartache.

I hate that model with a passion precisely for that reason. 😂 Always trolling with weenie patterns and storms only to pull the rug at the end.

Every

Single

Time

• Like 2

Last view picture of the day.. WOW, prettiest view of Pilchuck and surrounding mountains I’ve seen since I moved here last April. The sun shining on the snow during sunset is gorgeous.

39C751DF-1AD3-4DD3-9EA8-0A3687C78AAF.thumb.jpeg.d8b4389f43b6b52d37912c86c3a75224.jpeg

• Like 8

(Previous name: MillCreekMike)

Everett, WA (elev. 180’)

2023-2024 Snowfall:

1/11: Tr.

1/18: Tr.

Go M’s

Seeing all this talk about  moving to a snowier place. I'm a bit lucky cause I still have to go through college and then find a place to live. Def would not pick my heat island N Seattle location as an adult, or even Seattle at all tbh. I fell like a King/Snohomish line convergence zone neighborhood could be a great balance.

• Like 3

My Weather Station:  https://ambientweather.net/dashboard/b415ff35b2d13f00c899051028f04466 

Located in North Seattle, elevation ~150ft. Highest temperature ever recorded is 110.3, lowest is 14.5.

My Twitter

I think it should be pointed out that winter is not anywhere close to being “over” up there, FWIW.

Both the EPO and NAO are still positive. That blocking doesn’t get cranking until the weekend. Would not shock me at all if the highlight of the winter in the PNW region occurs during the first or second week of March.

This is anecdotal, but I notice around here that near term, last minute trends tend to be much better when there is high latitude blocking present, where-as those trends tend to be disappointing when high latitude blocking is lacking.

• Like 5
  • Popcorn 1
  • Snow 1
  • Shivering 1

1 minute ago, gusky said:

Seeing all this talk about  moving to a snowier place. I'm a bit lucky cause I still have to go through college and then find a place to live. Def would not pick my heat island N Seattle location as an adult, or even Seattle at all tbh. I fell like a King/Snohomish line convergence zone neighborhood could be a great balance.

Monroe recently came into our radar as a possible destination. Probably a good place.

• Like 1