September 2018 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

TigerWoodsLibido

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

By the skin of our teeth.

A W is a W but there is no way it should have been that close.

Rams next week. That should be.... Interesting.

That kick looked like it was heading left and then veered to the right.   Seen so many other kicks by opponents do that.   Nice to see it happen to us.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Do you guys all watch sporting events with your phones opened up to a weather forum? :lol:

Laptop on coffee table in front of big screen TV.    :)

Its just a way of sharing the experience.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

It would be even more unbelievable if it actually verified.

I’m not sure how long you’ve actually been following the weather but I’m pretty sure 2008 had some pretty significant late summer and early fall troughs

I didn't start seriously following the weather until 2010. I've taken it even more serious the past few years. In 2008, I remember not looking at the models and forums until November. If that's true then that's a good sign because everybody got a good pounding in December 2008.

I didn't start seriously following the weather until 2010. I've taken it even more serious the past few years. In 2008, I remember not looking at the models and forums until November. If that's true then that's a good sign because everybody got a good pounding in December 2008.

Not Eugene/Springfield apparently. I didn't live here then but the locals talk about their last great snow as being way further back.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

Nice backdoor cold shot. Sub 534 thickness west of the Cascades.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_nwus_42.png

gfs_T850a_nwus_43.png

This pattern so early feels to me like it bodes poorly for later. Shooting our load before the action can get going.

• Like 1

Personal Stats:

Venmo

Spent the afternoon with the folks in Monmouth. Headed home and, right on cue coming into Lane County, the sun comes out and it's probly 65% sunny as opposed to most of the valley.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

This pattern so early feels to me like it bodes poorly for later. Shooting our load before the action can get going.

I understand your concerns but to me it's a good sign we are starting to see lots of blocking up in Alaska already. Sure, we need the rain but do we really want zonal flow for most of Autumn and then magically hope the pattern changes for December? From now through the first half of Winter, I don't think the overall pattern will drastically change much.

• Like 1

I understand your concerns but to me it's a good sign we are starting to see lots of blocking up in Alaska already. Sure, we need the rain but do we really want zonal flow for most of Autumn and then magically hope the pattern changes for December? From now through the first half of Winter, I don't think the overall pattern will drastically change much.

In 1949-50, the pattern changed a lot between November and January. Magic may or may not have been involved.

• Like 1

Their probably thinking January 1969. Blows everything out of the water. Over 3 feet of snow January 25 to 27 and 47.1" for the month.

Wondering how an event like that is possible? Low stalls off the coast of Cape Blanco with a subtropical moisture plume to the south, coupled with a backdoor blowing continental air offshore?

Personal Stats:

Venmo

In 1949-50, the pattern changed a lot between November and January. Magic may or may not have been involved.

The point I was getting at was that it's not necessarily a bad thing to see very cold anomalies for this time of year and in this case for October with what some of the model runs are showing.

Speaking of that Winter, October 1949 had a significant cold snap that month. If I'm not mistaken 1949 still holds 5 days of record lows that month, the most for any year.

Oct 16: 34

Oct 18: 31

Oct 19: 27

Oct 20: 28

Oct 21: 30

Wondering how an event like that is possible? Low stalls off the coast of Cape Blanco with a subtropical moisture plume to the south, coupled with a backdoor blowing continental air offshore?

Here's a link where you can see the weather maps for that time frame. You just need to have the djvu plug-in. I downloaded it from the app store and it works like a charm.

https://library.noaa.gov/Collections/Digital-Collections/US-Daily-Weather-Maps

All I know from reading up on that event was that it came as a shock to many. Here's an article about that epic event.

"The forecast for Saturday, Jan. 25, called for, “Increasing clouds, chance of snow.” Maybe as much as 2.3 inches of snow by noon, the forecast said. Instead, the forecast would have been more accurate if it had included another foot between noon and midnight. But what kind of nutty weatherman was going to predict that?"

"Even Florence Florence! got 14 inches over the course of the blizzard. In the first 24 hours of the snowstorm, Eugene-Springfield got 22.9 inches."

"Predicting a snowstorm like that which caught forecasters from Roseburg to British Columbia by surprise is about as easy as predicting Earth’s final days, says Clinton Rockey, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Portland who keeps Oregon snow records all the way back to the late 19th century."

http://special.registerguard.com/csp/cms/sites/web/news/5675242-35/story.csp

• Like 1

Here's a link where you can see the weather maps for that time frame. You just need to have the djvu plug-in. I downloaded it from the app store and it works like a charm.

https://library.noaa.gov/Collections/Digital-Collections/US-Daily-Weather-Maps

All I know from reading up on that event was that it came as a shock to many. Here's an article about that epic event.

"The forecast for Saturday, Jan. 25, called for, “Increasing clouds, chance of snow.” Maybe as much as 2.3 inches of snow by noon, the forecast said. Instead, the forecast would have been more accurate if it had included another foot between noon and midnight. But what kind of nutty weatherman was going to predict that?"

"Even Florence Florence! got 14 inches over the course of the blizzard. In the first 24 hours of the snowstorm, Eugene-Springfield got 22.9 inches."

"Predicting a snowstorm like that which caught forecasters from Roseburg to British Columbia by surprise is about as easy as predicting Earth’s final days, says Clinton Rockey, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Portland who keeps Oregon snow records all the way back to the late 19th century."

http://special.registerguard.com/csp/cms/sites/web/news/5675242-35/story.csp

Fascinating read, thanks for posting.

Little bit damp this morning here.

• Like 1

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Guest daniel1

The first half of October is looking good at this point. Looks like we have a great shot at the coveted hot July / cold October combo this year. Combine that with 8-9 winter, very low (and still declining solar), and diminishing likelihood of an El Nino and we have a pretty nice recipe for this winter. I have felt for a while now we would see a noteworthy cold shot during the autumn and the models have certainly been hinting at it.

Lol at you saying diminishing likelihood of an El Niño. Keep wishcasting some more.

Lol at you saying diminishing likelihood of an El Niño. Keep wishcasting some more.

Does it matter if we end up with a weak niño instead of a warm neutral? The difference is trivial in the end (as far as observable weather/climate tendencies are concerned).

• Like 1

Guest daniel1

Does it matter if we end up with a weak niño instead of a warm neutral? The difference is trivial in the end (as far as observable weather/climate tendencies are concerned).

Everything is pointing to El Niño strengthening to at least weak strength. Yes I think it does matter in the grand scheme of things. The atmosphere is ready to transition to El Niño later in October.

Everything is pointing to El Niño strengthening to at least weak strength. Yes I think it does matter in the grand scheme of things. The atmosphere is ready to transition to El Niño later in October.

Huh? It’s already transitioned into a niño-like state. We have WHEM forcing and WPAC subsidence ongoing as we speak.

Are you referring to the -EPO/SE-ridge pattern resembling a niña? If so, that’s merely a product of the poleward displaced ITCZ/z-cells and the ongoing poleward propagation of +AAM. This has little to do with ENSO, and more to do with subseasonal variability and the seasonal cycle itself.

1.46" of rain here for this month. Not nearly as wet as the area north or towards the foothills. 

Month was slight below normal here. 

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"