February 2019 Weather Observations and Discussion Part 2

snow_wizard

18z Ensembles are incredibly cold. At PDX -9.1C Monday evening, -9.5C Thursday morning, and -7.5C on the 4th. 

Probably as cold as anything so far with this ongoing event.  Never seen the likes of this.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I wanna know why there were 200 users on here at times during the Feb 10th-12th but we can't even get 100 users on here now.

Come on PDX peeps, time to step it up!

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Not going to be in range for at least a day though...

It's in range now but we need Rob.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Nice write up by Jaya in the Seattle discussion, very reasonable.

Reasonable?  At a time like this?  Impossible!

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I wanna know why there were 200 users on here at times during the Feb 10th-12th but we can't even get 100 users on here now.

Good question.  Part of it is an increasing number of people are getting burned out on the cold.  Shocking I know...obviously something that would never happen with the regulars on here.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Lots of PDX people were also online before that event in hopes we might get something. There is little hope of this working out for most of WA now, a lot of the posters from up there probably aren't either bothering to look. 

18z euro went south. 1-2" for seattle, 2-4" for portland.

This thing is going so far south /:

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

The PS region is a heavily-populated, anxiety-ridden place.

Looking up and staring non stop at contrails will also cause anxiety and knowing that we might only have 10-12 years to live will cause extreme anxiety.  It happens to us valley maggots a lot.  We have little to live for.

Does someone have a snowmap for the 18Z Euro just to see how drastic the shift is?

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

18z euro snowmap for everyone who asked, this is out to 10pm monday night

F***. That’s not good for us.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

Watch your mouth

This thing is falling apart on us, a bit difficult not to be frustrated with the models. It’s always either too north or too south.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

You're right, I'm just surprised at the persistence of the GFS and it's ensembles, and some of the mesoscales agree. Temps are all that I'm worried about at this point, considering its +7 here.

I'm less worried about temperatures here, but I'm on a hill away from the water so it tends to cool down rapidly with precipitation and NE winds. I could see temperatures being more of an issue downtown and near sea level. I'm most concerned about precipitation intensity, it could easily start out good to the north then fall apart right as conditions are primed for something good here. If we get sustained precipitation tonight snow will work its way down to sea level.

Currently 5.8C here, but there may be at least some glimmer of hope; the winds have shifted to ENE at least a few hours before they were forecast to do so. The low may be a bit south of where it was modeled.

18z euro snowmap for everyone who asked, this is out to 10pm monday night

Looks better for up here oddly enough.

Where do you get the 18z Euro maps?  I have a weatherbell account but can't find them on there.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Looks like most people in the region are atleast gonna see some light snow potentially the next few days, considering it’s late February this is great, a month ago everyone didn’t think they would have a chance at any snow

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

I'm less worried about temperatures here, but I'm on a hill away from the water so it tends to cool down rapidly with precipitation and NE winds. I could see temperatures being more of an issue downtown and near sea level. I'm most concerned about precipitation intensity, it could easily start out good to the north then fall apart right as conditions are primed for something good here. If we get sustained precipitation tonight snow will work its way down to sea level.

Currently 5.8C here, but there may be at least some glimmer of hope; the winds have shifted to ENE at least a few hours before they were forecast to do so. The low may be a bit south of where it was modeled.

also working for us is the fact that environment canada believes it's going to be showers all night.  

• Like 1

Looks better for up here oddly enough.

Where do you get the 18z Euro maps?  I have a weatherbell account but can't find them on there.

Most of the snow being shown up here is not with the main event.   The 12Z ECMWF showed some snow today across most of King County.   That did not happen.   And it showed some more tonight and tomorrow.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

The NWS forecast is surprisingly wet / snowy for Seattle for much of next week.  I'm far from sold there will be that much moisture.  I also disagree with the rain they are forecasting for Wednesday night.  The models are clear the air mass will be very cold at that time with weak offshore flow.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The NWS forecast is surprisingly wet / snowy for Seattle for much of next week.  I'm far from sold there will be that much moisture.  I also disagree with the rain they are forecasting for Wednesday night.  The models are clear the air mass will be very cold at that time with weak offshore flow.

Environment canada pulled the same stunt, showing chances of showers from Wednesday on.  I just don't see that in any of the models. 

Anyone else tracking the mother of all US blizzards that’s about to annihilate the lake effect belts?

70-90mph winds, several feet of snow, thunder/lightning, all preceded by a severe squall line and balmy temps. One of the most incredible storms you can get. I’ve been tracking it obsessively all week. Jealous af.

Moral of the story I guess is to not get so excited. Was great while it lasted on the models,

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife