February 2019 Weather Observations and Discussion Part 2

snow_wizard

At the east end of Barkley.

Ah, love that area. I grew up off Britton rd, just a few houses up from the soccer field of Squalicum HS. Lived there during the 96 event which I'll never forget. That area always seems to get cold easily, and hangs onto it well.

I've watched the nws radar so long and i know when light green is over you it's a decent snow and dark green is very hard. Green on the uw radar is not as heavy of snow compared to the nws.

Depends on the air mass.

I have seen heavy snow under blue on the NWS radar in a saturated air mass and nothing falling under green when the air mass is dry.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Light coating on everything, but looks like the moisture is moving north for the night. Was fun while it lasted

I think there might be more activity up in your area later tonight.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Per the models or per your own guess? Models were much more bullish a day or 2 ago... but killed the precip quickly in the recent runs

Models... here is 10 p.m. through 4 a.m.

ecmwf-snow-6-seattle-5.png

very heavy snow rn in Puyallup.... I have 3 snowflakes on my windshield

It looked very impressive... I can see 5 or 6 flakes on the walkway under the front door light.    Although it has stopped snowing now.  

Not sure about that secondary lobe tomorrow afternoon down south... here is total snow through Sunday morning per the WRF:

snowacc.84.0000.gif

WRF and the Euro have been wrong about our area for this storm so far. 3 inches plus and still lightly snowing. We may surpass February 2014 for snowfall. We are also st about 88 inches or so estimated for the season.

Sunday... a little moderation from previous runs. Cold east wind though.

ecmwf-t2max-washington-9.png

They all say Saturday, maybe my layout is glitched?

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

They all say Saturday, maybe my layout is glitched?

Nope... I screwed up and you quoted one before I fixed it.   The file names all look the same when browsing from the hosting site.    :wacko:

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

This pattern is so confusing.   If I just looked at the 500mb map for Monday and did not have any context... I would guess it would be raining that day.  

ecmwf_z500a_namer_6.png

But because the ULL just formed right over us the night before... it has no precip.   Or even clouds.

ecmwf-tcloud-washington-21.png

ecmwf-t2max-washington-21.png