August 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Omegaraptor

I feel like I just read 5 pages of weather that happened a month ago. No matter how many times I read it, it still says the same thing. Hmmm

Exactly.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Some wind would certainly be appreciated. Doesn’t help that the Tualatin Valley has some of the lowest average windspeeds in the country.

I was hoping this system would track closer inland so we could get some action like we did in early July. Looks like we'll remain dry down here, maybe some showers if we're lucky. 00z NAM is dry but the RGEM looks a little better for some moisture. Going to be warm and humid overnight into tomorrow.

namconus_apcpn_nwus_12.png

rgem_apcpn_nwus_36.png

I was hoping this system would track closer inland so we could get some action like we did in early July. Looks like we'll remain dry down here, maybe some showers if we're lucky. 00z NAM is dry but the RGEM looks a little better for some moisture. Going to be warm and humid overnight into tomorrow.

An inch of rain tomorrow morning and 80-degree sunshine tomorrow afternoon would be lovely.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Lots of panic back in May and June on here about how terrible this summer would be and how we would be choking in smoke with everything dying.

I said we don't know what July would bring... but it likely would be wetter than normal after the dry spring. I was mocked for saying it could rain in July. ;)

But it did. And it still quite green as we go into August with the days getting noticeably shorter. And there is no smoke either.

Kinda cracks me up.

Lol, not me. I called for an average summer with a significantly improved moisture flux vs recent years, if you recall.

Lol, not me. I called for an average summer with a significantly improved moisture flux vs recent years, if you recall.

Well, any moisture flux is an improvement from 2017 and 2018. Those years were Sacramento-level dry in July and August here. In 2017, we went 57 straight days with no rain.

You did... and nailed it.

Some wind would certainly be appreciated. Doesn’t help that the Tualatin Valley has some of the lowest average windspeeds in the country.

Yes please. Some 65-mph gusts this winter perhaps?

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

This is not a winter thread. Lets get 65 mph gusts in August!!

Ugh, you're taking yourself too seriously..... -_-

We all know August is only for frost and for marine layers. Nothing else will suffice :)

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Wonderful day. Made it to 88F in downtown Springfield.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Off-topic, I've been also thinking of applying at University of Montana. I've always wanted to live there, and I think I meet all of their requirements. That is, of course, if I get outright rejected by Wazzu or OSU.

What are you wanting to major in?  As I've mentioned here before, my son is at MSU, so there is a bit of a bias, but my wife is from Montana and there are graduates from both schools in her family.

U of M is really struggling for funding and just has a negative vibe to it.  We toured both schools, and my son fell in love with Missoula and U of M to the point that it felt like a waste of time to go to Bozeman.

We went anyway, and when all was said and done, he said "I think I like Missoula better than Bozeman, but I know I will get a better education at MSU, and since that is kinda the point, I am going with MSU.

He went on to say that he felt the staff at all levels at MSU are personally invested in the success of him and his fellow students.  He is through his first year, is heading back in 2 weeks and has no regrets.  He said that U of M is more of a party school, where MSU students are more academic focused....that said, we've learned through this summer that my son spent many a weekend in the BDS101 class...."brews and distilled spirits".

Finally...aggressively pursue the WUE.  You'll want to max that out.   If you have any more questions about U of M or MSU feel free to message me.

• Like 2

62 here. Feelz nice.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

GFS ensemble mean is quite warm through Wednesday for the Seattle area (90 on a couple days)... then a cool down into the mid to upper 70s late next week... and then back into the low 80s for the weekend.

It showed 85 in Seattle for today for numerous runs... and that was right.

The rest of America LOLs.

Yeah I know.  I grew up in Georgia, worked agriculture in the summers as a teenager in SW Georgia.  Cropped tobacco in July and worked in a tobacco warehouse in August.  101-103 on the outside, 115-125 on the inside.  I know heat, humidity, and the related misery, which is why I live in the PNW!  Over the past couple of years I've been headhunted a few times for some really amazing jobs in Atlanta, one of them was literally a dream job.  Even though it would get me closer to family, working a dream job, the thought of the heat, humidity, gnats, cockroaches, mosquitoes and and all the other crap

just kills it for me.

My philosophy is that you can always put on more clothes/layers if your cold, but you can only get a certain level of naked before the cops get called on you....

Also, being a hairy-assed wookie always makes it feel 20 degrees hotter than it really is....72 feels like 92!   :D

• Like 3

This summer has been terrific, the best in several years. No smoke at all. Today was a bit warm through.

Yeah best weather on the planet these days.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope