December 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Timmy Supercell

Guest CulverJosh

Thank you. I have been preparing all week for the possibility of temps in the 30s. It’s going to be wild but I think we are ready.

+pna anomalies. All I am going to say.

I have a text chat tomorrow around 9 with my insider. He just sent me a teaser.

• Like 1

I know EXACTLY that feeling.  When we still lived in Bellingham, we had owned this house just more than a year.  Not fully furnished yet, just a weekend home for us until we moved.  One December weekend, the forecast was for heavy snow on Saturday, which is one of the lighting weekends with huge crowds, Christmas music, etc.  So I just had to go by myself, as my wife worked (she is a nurse).  But she did understand.  I think we got about 15 inches that day and night.  A great experience.  My wife also understand my Seahawk fandom, and tries to enjoy it with me.  Occasionally she will step in front of the TV during a big play, but she knows better than that now.  

:unsure:

A forum for the end of the world.

And I know not to step in front of the TV during a Hallmark Christmas movie!

We have a laugh about it, she will sometimes watch a game with me, and complain that the Seahawks don't win games easily. Always coming down to the last few minutes.

I get it. My wife complains that Carson isn't good enough to run it as much as the Seahawks do. She also doesn't understand why I am always making fun of Hallmark movies.

And I know not to step in front of the TV during a Hallmark Christmas movie!

We have a laugh about it, she will sometimes watch a game with me, and complain that the Seahawks don't win games easily. Always coming down to the last few minutes.

Yeah I get pretty negative Nancy during the games, drives her crazy. Good thing I don’t talk weather much with her, it would be much of the same negativity and it would really irritate the heck out of her.
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Breezy crossing just now from Anacortes-Orcas. In the rain shadow but windy enough from the south for some good waves. The captain came on at one point asking people to be seated and clear the stairwells.

First post BTW. Long time lurker (and learner), first time poster.

Hi.

Welcome!  I was born and raised in Anacortes.  Do you live in the area, or just passing through after visiting the Islands?

• Like 1

Breezy crossing just now from Anacortes-Orcas. In the rain shadow but windy enough from the south for some good waves. The captain came on at one point asking people to be seated and clear the stairwells.

First post BTW. Long time lurker (and learner), first time poster.

Hi.

Awesome to have someone from the islands!  

Awesome to have someone from the islands!  

You guys would have loved my former neighbor John Willis. He had some notoriety in the weather world for maintaining the family records at Olga since the 1890s. We used to sit and chat for hours about the Fraser winds and some big snow dumps. I wish I would have recorded those conversations.

• Like 4

You guys would have loved my former neighbor John Willis. He had some notoriety in the weather world for maintaining the family records at Olga since the 1890s. We used to sit and chat for hours about the Fraser winds and some big snow dumps. I wish I would have recorded those conversations.

Isn’t that the truth!

We listen to the stories then forget to journal them down.  Been there done it!  

• Like 1

Thanks! Lived here the last couple years. My mother grew up in Anacortes and her dad had property on Decatur that we grew up going to all the time.

I wish i lived up in that area, I try and go to orcas island a few times a year. Mt.Constitution is one of my favorite hikes, my wallpaper picture was taken from the top of the watchtower in march of this year lol.

• Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

I remember reading about him. Some of that data has been used in lieu of coop data in some projects.

Yeah, he was very proud of that too. Scott Sistek did a write-up on him and then reposted it again this summer after John passed.

He was Uncle John to the entire island and is deeply missed.

I just by chance bought my property from him and lucked into having him as a neighbor and friend.

• Like 2

Orcas island is just a very interesting unique beautiful place with very interesting weather. Sounds like they have had some crazy winter storms there! I went to orcas on March 5th this year after the crazy snows of this February. Elevation at the top of Mt.Constitution is 2400' for those who dont know about orcas island... there was still 2-3' of snow at the top when I was there. It was really awesome.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Orcas island is just a very interesting unique beautiful place with very interesting weather. Sounds like they have had some crazy winter storms there! I went to orcas on March 5th this year after the crazy snows of this February. Elevation at the top of Mt.Constitution is 2400' for those who dont know about orcas island... there was still 2-3' of snow at the top when I was there. It was really awesome.

That was a great storm with snow and a big blow from the NE. We had a good size (28" dbh) doug fir come down on our property. Moran State Park lost numerous trees, many over the only road, and cut off one end of the island from the other for a good while. The power was out for a few days. Good storm.

I love active weather so this place (and the PNW in general) is a good place for me.  :)  :)  :)

That was a great storm with snow and a big blow from the NE. We had a good size (28" dbh) doug fir come down on our property. Moran State Park lost numerous trees, many over the only road, and cut off one end of the island from the other for a good while. The power was out for a few days. Good storm.

I love active weather so this place (and the PNW in general) is a good place for me.  :)  :)  :)

Didn't realize it got that intense up there that is wild. Sounds like the type of place I need to live!

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

This whole NWS insider shtick is getting old.

Like yeah, it was stupid and funny at first. Har har. But now it's just really annoying.

A good troll knows when the troll has lost its luster. A bad troll continues it way past its expiration date. Similar problem that Tim has.

It was stupid and lacking at the start, that's all...

• Like 1

This whole NWS insider shtick is getting old.

Like yeah, it was stupid and funny at first. Har har. But now it's just really annoying.

A good troll knows when the troll has lost its luster. A bad troll continues it way past its expiration date. Similar problem that Tim has.

Culver is just enjoying the fact that he lives in a snowy climate and we are desperate for snow.

• Like 1

really hope no one is buying into the NWS insider scam...

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

I really hope no one is buying into the NWS insider scam...

I’m waiting until after the 9am conference call to make a final judgment.
  • Like 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Major rain dumpage currently. Has picked up in intensity in the last hour. 1.20" as of 10:30. Was at a roughly .15 per hour rate for several hours but has been .35-.50 an hour more recently.

• Like 3

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0