December 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Timmy Supercell

It is fair to say/type that we are no longer in drought and the snowpack is coming around to normal in quick fashion. Meanwhile, 5-8 days out looks to be most fun for some foothill flurries and possibly snow in the North Bend alps and convergence zone environs. Bring it baby YEAH@!!! Happy Festivus for the rest of us ;)

My daughter(in Tigard)  has one of those small drains near her garage door and I’m so glad this didn’t hit you guys.  I think that drain would of been overwhelmed and flooded the garage!  Still a bit worried as this thing will sage south

Might be a good idea to get the drain situation fixed rather than banking on us never seeing a heavy rain event down here again. ;)

• Like 1

Yeah, it is going to get very wet down here still as the day goes on. Can already see the trends on radar. About to start raining here again. 

Hope so. Been a fun event so far in Washington. We were in Poulsbo the last few days and drove back down I-5 last night in HEAVY rain. Didn't lighten up until a little north of Kelso.

So far looks like we've picked up just shy of an inch down here since Wednesday.

It is fair to say/type that we are no longer in drought and the snowpack is coming around to normal in quick fashion. Meanwhile, 5-8 days out looks to be most fun for some foothill flurries and possibly snow in the North Bend alps and convergence zone environs. Bring it baby YEAH@!!! Happy Festivus for the rest of us ;)

Oregon says: Not so fast there.

I agree that the extended forecast looks favorable, though. Some more rain and mountain snows through the end of the month, lowish snow levels at times.

• Like 1

SEA might be able to pull this out by going 4th driest to outside top 10. The difference between 4th and 10th is about 2.50”

0.72" Since Wednesday.  Looks like we are at 57F, on our way to the 60s today. Haven't had any steady rainfall since mid-day yesterday.  Had a +11.4F departure yesterday and still haven't had a high in the 30s this month.  Only 2.84" in downtown Eugene for the month so far and we should be at 5.06" by now.  This didn't bust the drought.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

I think the euro was showing storm totals near 6” for Tacoma. Could be inline with that.

That sounds about right...i haven't seen the latest euro precip map.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Not a lot of snow melt yet, fortunately. Snow levels look to come back down tonight as well.

Im hoping they can get as much snow as possible...looks good for more snow in the mountains on the forecast models coming up!

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Might be a good idea to get the drain situation fixed rather than banking on us never seeing a heavy rain event down here again. ;)

I’ve run a few test on it and it kept up but I know how quickly these things can get out of hand as it did last night here. 

I told her to just get anything she values off the floor of the garage in case. 

Also a good chunk of $$$ would be needed to redo that drain. Anyhow, we’ll find out perhaps later today it’s capabilities

Here it comes...

EMPAAtMXYAIpeCB.png

A number of CFSv2 ensemble members from yesterday are jumping onto a potential sudden stratospheric warming event mid-January. I'm buying into this idea, and it's first going to start warming over Siberia in 1-2 weeks, and progress poleward.

• Like 1

Up to almost 1.5" up here in Bellingham according to my weather station.  Pales in comparison to what they are seeing down in Seattle but pretty impressive nonetheless.  Don't big AR's usually follow or precede big arctic events?  We didn't have one before soooooo.................................

Edit:  1.5" since yesterday when this started...

r1lDOeOr_bigger.jpgMichael VentriceVerified account @MJVentrice 4h4 hours ago

More

Here it comes...

EMPAAtMXYAIpeCB.png

r1lDOeOr_bigger.jpgMichael VentriceVerified account @MJVentrice 4h4 hours ago

More

A number of CFSv2 ensemble members from yesterday are jumping onto a potential sudden stratospheric warming event mid-January. I'm buying into this idea, and it's first going to start warming over Siberia in 1-2 weeks, and progress poleward.

Hopefully it will verify.

Currently at the rest stop on the east side of Stevens. Mixed precipitation falling here. I had to navigate around two different very large tree branches that were in the road just east of the summit. Roads are not great but not terrible.

7D734A0A-ED7E-426B-A6DA-94DFA463C8E3.jpeg

• Like 4

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Just moved past the 1” mark for the storm. If this was snow I would be upset being shadowed this much but I really don’t need a bigger dump of rain. The 12Z GFS looks like a mess through the end of the run. Hard to see anything to be optimistic about weatherwise at all.

Just moved past the 1” mark for the storm. If this was snow I would be upset being shadowed this much but I really don’t need a bigger dump of rain. The 12Z GFS looks like a mess through the end of the run. Hard to see anything to be optimistic about weatherwise at all.

Yea. It’s tough to even extrapolate anything good after day 16 on the GFS.

Some of you may know where Holden Village is or have been there (upper East slopes of the Cascades, west of lake Chelan, an old mining camp now a Lutheran retreat center open to all visitors). They reported 33.5 inches of snow during the last 24 hours.

Cool spot, and that is great to hear!

Some of you may know where Holden Village is or have been there (upper East slopes of the Cascades, west of lake Chelan, an old mining camp now a Lutheran retreat center open to all visitors).  They reported 33.5 inches of snow during the last 24 hours.

How much have you seen so far?

Or is it turned to rain now?

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL