June 2023 Observations & Discussions

westMJim

12 minutes ago, Bryan1117 said:

How I am feeling right now about the possible rain and storms this afternoon and tonight… if it even pans out.

IMG_0039.gif

In all seriousness, I really  hope to see you see + results Bryan!  It's time to turn around the bad streak you've had...

• Like 3

Just walked to the mail box. 
Holy cow!!  
I could hardly breath.  
1st Hot and humid day in force. 
95*

44% humidity 

67 Dewpoint

If we don’t get a storm out of this I’m going to feel jip’d !!

• Like 3

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

17 minutes ago, Bryan1117 said:

So far just a few sprinkles here… looks like yet another massive bust for my backyard. Decent storms fired just to my south, missed by 3-4 miles again… still a chance to get something a bit later however that’s dwindling quick.

Very sad that you keep getting missed. If we hadn’t had rain this week, I would have been really upset this evening, though I did laugh at how I was missed in all 4 directions tonight. Just enough to wet the pavement. Kearney to Minden have been hit multiple nights in a row with heavy rains. My daughter was in Kearney tonight and said they got hit with with heavy rains 3 different times in 2 hours. This is going to be the summer of haves and have nots it appears. 

• Like 2

I was missed again as well. 
I feel your pain down here, Bryan
At least our heat dropped off.  We’re at 76* and it’s a real peach out there!

Hope you get your rain soon!

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

I guess I've been gone a couple minutes. I'm very baffled by this dry streak. Extremely bizarre to have a situation where western Nebraska is getting dumped on with precip while the rest of the state is drooling. I got a new puppy a couple months ago that I have to take outside constantly, so in that regard, the warm and dry weather has been very nice. 

• Like 6

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

20 hours ago, Tom said:

Dang, that stinks...how often do you bail hay?  Once a season or do you allow it to grow again for another round?  Not sure how that process works.  You use it to feed your cattle, right?

JFYI....Here in my area we bale hay every 4-6 weeks starting in late May and ending in September or October with a total of 4-6 cuttings. I've baled dry hay in November a few times and once in early December. This is one crop we can harvest multiple times per year. In a normal year It a challenge to get hay made without rain so a lot of farmers will bale it partially wet then seal it in a bag or silo, or wrap individual bales in plastic wrap. Hay is most often alfalfa or alfalfa/grass mix here. 

• Thanks 1

Ended up with a half inch of rain last night, so my early call of a bust was wrong (for my backyard at least) - however it looks like there were still plenty of areas that got the shaft around here. I am just glad my yard finally got some natural moisture this weekend (looks dry again until late next week).

Also thankful that we can now enjoy a couple “cooler” days of refreshing highs in the 70’s.

• Like 5

The official H/L yesterday at Grand Rapids was 82/48. There was no rain fall and there was 52% of possible sunshine. The overnight low here in MBY was 60 and there was 0.01” of rain fall so far. For today the average H/L is 78/57 the record high of 93 was set in 1894, 1933 and 1956 the record low of a chilly 33 was in 1972. The most rain fall of 2.64” fell in 1986.

At the current time it is 60 here in MBY with cloudy skies there has been some very light rain that has fallen. There is a good chance of some showers today and also a good chance of several more chances of rain this week. The week will start off on the cool side and then should be close to average for the end of the week. There is no real warm air in the forecast.

• Like 1

Until they all dried out by last evening, a few models did show a narrow band of decent rain popping over Cedar Rapids overnight, and that's exactly what happened.  I received a nice 0.39".  I wish I had left my windows open because I slept through it.

• Like 4

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

2 hours ago, Stormy said:

JFYI....Here in my area we bale hay every 4-6 weeks starting in late May and ending in September or October with a total of 4-6 cuttings. I've baled dry hay in November a few times and once in early December. This is one crop we can harvest multiple times per year. In a normal year It a challenge to get hay made without rain so a lot of farmers will bale it partially wet then seal it in a bag or silo, or wrap individual bales in plastic wrap. Hay is most often alfalfa or alfalfa/grass mix here. 

Thanks for the info Stormy.  I recall many many years ago, when I traveled to Poland and remember my uncle and his neighbors bale hay multiple times a year for their cows and farm animals.  It's a very community-like feel out there as everyone helps one another and trades for food or supplies.  Do you have contracts with vendors to sell your alfalfa?  Or is it just for personal use?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clinton said:

Good news for western MO and mby.  1.3 inches so far at my house and a Flood advisory from my place on north where 2-5 inches of rain fell overnight.

Watches, Warnings, and Advisories

I was just gonna comment on this after watching the radar loop from last night...this storm wrapped up perfectly for literally the entire northern half of MO.  Glad you scored!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tom said:

I was just gonna comment on this after watching the radar loop from last night...this storm wrapped up perfectly for literally the entire northern half of MO.  Glad you scored!

Thank you!  I may get a little bit more as another area of rain is slowly rotating south out of NW MO.

We've mostly underperformed here in terms of rain the last few days and now that looks to be the case going forwards with the best severe risk staying south. Still, yesterday was pretty reasonable with a high of 80F even if it was humid.

Not liking the look of things next week with a pretty good signal for heat increasing. the ECMWF had a few days in the low 100s dew points near 70. Most guidance is at least mid 90s. Yuck. 

• Sad 1
  • Sun 1

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Happy Sunday!  The unusual "cool" start to MET Summer continues out in the Valley of the Sun.  We are ONLY expected to reach a high of 91F today,  12F BN in the temp dept....the BN stretch will continue till later in the week when the trough off the coast of So Cal pumps up the temps and the SW will ROAST.

• Like 3

For MBY, yesterday was our first day with a high below 85 since 5/27. Almost two straight weeks of highs 85+! Our average max high right now is 80, to keep it in perspective. I received a measly 0.17 inches yesterday mainly from one brief period of heavy rain accompanied with some thunder and lightning. 

This morning is refreshingly cool with a current temp of 57. Feels so nice out there. Planning on heading to the Palisades today and taking advantage of some heat relief with some hiking. Only expected to top out in the low/mid 70s under sunny skies. Very welcomed after the much higher than normal temps for the past month+. 

• Like 4

Today will be our first above normal temperature day since last Saturday. In fact it may end up being our warmest day we see in the entire month of June. We should see lower to mid-80's for much of the county. The great news is that rain will be moving in tomorrow with both the European and GFS showing over an inch of rain for much of the county! Temps look to average normal to slightly below for much of the rest of the month of June.
Records for today: High 96 (1920) / Low 40 (1988) / Rain 3.30" (1968)
image.png.4f33694a528702758b606fd019c3b565.png
  • Like 2

All historical weather data analytics posted by me is specifically for the climate of Chester County PA.  We continually analyze the actual raw non-adjusted NWS certified Coop observed climate data for Chester County.  There have been no post observation adjustments to any of the detailed analytics. All data is sourced from trained NWS observers and spotters. The life blood of science is to challenge what is thought to be known. The concept that climate change etc. is somehow “settled science” describes a religion - a belief system that does not welcome challenges. We should all continue to challenge science!    Snow Totals 2023/24 = 24.5" -  11/28 (0.3") / 12/7 (0.8") / 12/11 (0.8") / 1/6 (2.0") / 1/16 (2.8") / 1/19 (4.5") / 2/13 (10.5") / 2/17 (2.8")

Average Chester County PA Snow at elevations over 660 FT ASL (1983-Present) = 35.9" Snow totals by season: 2022/23 (2.7") /2021/22 (20.5")  2020/21 snow  (52.2") /  2019/20 snow (5.8" )/ 2018/19 snow (35.1" )/ 2017/18 snow (58.5") / 2016/17 snow (24.0")/ 2015/16 snow (40.8")/ 2014/15 snow = (55.3") /2013/14 snow (80.0").

Check out the historical Western Chester County PA website at https://www.chescowx.com.  Follow me on twitter at https://twitter.com/ChescoWx and join us on the #1 social media source for all things Chester County weather on the Chester County Weather Page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/chescowx

National Weather Service  SKYWARN® Trained Spotter CHPA-174

5 hours ago, Clinton said:

Higher rainfall totals were not as widespread as forecasted.  I was about 15 miles away from getting 4 inches of rain and also 15 miles away from .1 inches of rain.

mrms_qpe_024h_p.us_c.png

This has been the theme of the last 2-3 months... widespread rains aren't happening in this pattern in the Midwest and the future doesn't look promising either. I will gladly (maybe sadly, LOL) take the half inch of rain that fell here last night, however it's still crazy that some areas just 3-4 miles to my south and east picked up nearly 2 inches of rain. 

With the Men's College World Series getting going later this upcoming week, it will either be hot and dry or hot and stormy... never fails! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chescowxman said:
Today will be our first above normal temperature day since last Saturday. In fact it may end up being our warmest day we see in the entire month of June. We should see lower to mid-80's for much of the county. The great news is that rain will be moving in tomorrow with both the European and GFS showing over an inch of rain for much of the county! Temps look to average normal to slightly below for much of the rest of the month of June.
Records for today: High 96 (1920) / Low 40 (1988) / Rain 3.30" (1968)
image.png.4f33694a528702758b606fd019c3b565.png

Good chance that warmer temperatures occur later this month. Changes in the weather pattern + climo will be tough to fight.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OttumwaSnomow said:

I give up! Forget  this summer. Forget all the el nino predictions  of wet summer.  Just ridiculous.  .23 this system.  Now 5 straight  cloudless  days this week. Just a terrible  place to grow  things and have a lawn care business  since 2012.

We are parched here as well. Flash drought conditions have developed, and vegetation is clearly stressed.

As of now, this is not your prototypical cool/wet El Niño summer. Very different from recent years as well.

IMG_4032.pngIMG_4035.png

• Like 5

A lingering thick cloud shield has greatly held back our temp today... been stuck in the low 60s.

• Like 3
  • Shivering 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

5 hours ago, Bryan1117 said:

This has been the theme of the last 2-3 months... widespread rains aren't happening in this pattern in the Midwest and the future doesn't look promising either. I will gladly (maybe sadly, LOL) take the half inch of rain that fell here last night, however it's still crazy that some areas just 3-4 miles to my south and east picked up nearly 2 inches of rain. 

With the Men's College World Series getting going later this upcoming week, it will either be hot and dry or hot and stormy... never fails! 

The spotty rains have been wild.  Today 25 miles separated 5 inches of rain from .10.  Noway we bust out of this drought until fall at the earliest.  When you have a 5 inch depict going into July it's pretty much over.

• Like 3

Gotta say, on this gorgeous Sunday, it's like we went back in time to late April or early May...Bueno's Dias!  Don't really feel the heat because of the gusty WNW winds...had some snapped branches in the complex but all is good in thy neighborhood!

• Like 5

We had a very warm day in the low 90’s. Humid. 
Our storms hit right on time and boiled and rumbled until about 10:30.   I saw some of the most beautiful cloud to cloud lightning tonight punctuated with jagged bolts to the ground and nearby clouds with flash lightning setting the backdrop.  
A real floor show.  No rain totals but I’ll guess less that 1/2”. No hail, no tornadoes to my knowledge. Just some real eye candy.  

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Phil said:

We are parched here as well. Flash drought conditions have developed, and vegetation is clearly stressed.

As of now, this is not your prototypical cool/wet El Niño summer. Very different from recent years as well.

IMG_4032.pngIMG_4035.png

I follow  your weather close in Maryland. My uncle  farms 400 acres.   This  severe dry is odd there! Unfortunately  its getting  common  here.  2012 and 2017 did the same. Very little rain june 1 to sept 10th. And several  other years had long summer dry periods considerably  below the 60 yr normals.  2 to 4 weeks of totally burned up vegetation  per year is fine. But were averaging  8 to 14 weeks since 2012!!!  And my particular  county seems to be singled  out often! Nuts really. I didn't  think southeast  iowa was the dakotas! Literally  dont even have to mow 8 to 12 times many years 😪 

• Like 1

While not a lot we finally did get some rain yesterday. The official amount at Grand Rapids was just 0.11”, at Muskegon a reported 0.18” fell, at Holland it was 0.15” and at Lansing it was 0.14”.  Here in MBY I had a little bit more as I recorded 0.21” of rain fall. The official H/L at Grand Rapids yesterday was 67/54 there was no sunshine there were 4 HDD’s and 0 CDD’s

The current temperature and overnight low here in MBT is 51. For today the average H/L is 79/58, The record high of 96 was set in 1901 and the record low of 38 was set in 1903 the record rain fall amount of 1.89” fell in 1996. Today and Tuesday look to be rather cool with a chance of some showers. Up to Sunday temperatures look to be warmer with on and off chances of showers.

• Like 4