July 2023 PNW Observations and Discussions

15 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Because voting for Trump to take a stand against wokeness and continually harping on the factual inaccuracy of the left while remaining silent about that of the right are signs of being an absolute flaming liberal. Silly me.

The fact you referenced “wokeness” in a climate science discussion perfectly illustrates my point re: science and politics. I don’t think I’ve ever used that word on this forum.

Also, your read on me is wildly off base but it’s amusing nonetheless. If I lived in a swing state I likely would’ve voted for old Joe. But alas, in Maryland my vote meaningless at the federal level.

I can send a message of disapproval, though. And I can do so without risking swinging the election. 😁

Yeah this really did drift off topic, and it was partly my fault. Next time let’s keep politics out of it, doesn’t serve any purpose other than to obfuscate.  

12 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Loving the trend on the 18Z ECMWF for my area...

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-total_precip_inch-0286400.png

Lmao, of course it now shadows me. I probably don’t see anything from this

PWS: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWAPORTA220

2023-2024 Snow Total: 18" (6 events)

14 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Loving the trend on the 18Z ECMWF for my area...

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-total_precip_inch-0286400.png

Nice bump for the south Willamette Valley. This would be very nice...you can take it from me since I experienced it. It overperformed in Alaska if that means anything.

• Like 2

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

8 minutes ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

Lmao, of course it now shadows me. I probably don’t see anything from this

(Bummed to be merely in the green and not the blue.)

5 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

Nice bump for the south Willamette Valley. This would be very nice...you can take it from me since I experienced it. It overperformed in Alaska if that means anything.

(Excited to be in the gray.)

Can sure tell who’s an optimist and who’s a pessimist tonight!

It's called clown range for a reason.

79 now IMBY. Needs to not hit 80 in order to underperform but I think the temp won’t rise anymore.

2024 Warm Season Stats

Number of 80+ days - 2

Number of 85+ days - 2 (Warmest so far - 86)

Number of 90+ days - 0

Number of 95+ days - 0

Number of 60+ lows - 0

Just now, GHweatherChris said:

KSEA certainly did not stay in the low 70's today, that was never going to happen, not even a decent chance of it.

SEA hit 77°

Eastside Tacoma/Salishan, WA. Elv 263ft

Family home in Spanaway, WA. Elv 413ft

☥𓂀✡️

1 minute ago, GHweatherChris said:

Ya, that's the lower end of the upper 70's.

I made forecast last night 77-83° around the Puget Sound Region 

Eastside Tacoma/Salishan, WA. Elv 263ft

Family home in Spanaway, WA. Elv 413ft

☥𓂀✡️

Pretty nasty fires around today-- one near Goldendale in central WA, another on the Warm Springs Reservation near Simnasho. 

https://twitter.com/MichaelWX18/status/1682570790288658432?s=20

• Sad 3

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

57 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

Underperformances get pretty difficult when you have this going on.

0FCF466D-D363-4F81-B0AF-01E9B70C6A66.gif.f5994edeb0627bf11b6f7a16a570d627.gif

Seeing that map makes me think that even if the rain event Monday works out that it still won’t be enough to dampen things enough especially if we just go back to dry and sunny after that.

2024 Warm Season Stats

Number of 80+ days - 2

Number of 85+ days - 2 (Warmest so far - 86)

Number of 90+ days - 0

Number of 95+ days - 0

Number of 60+ lows - 0

I think we can all step aside and recognize that climate change doesn't have to literally end humanity for it to be considered a preventable disaster. The benchmark for a 'climate tragedy' does not need to include wiping out a proportion of our population in the range of whole percentage points.

Warming our climate system, combined with destabilization of the world supply chain, will leave billions food insecure and many millions as refugees. That doesn't even factor in the encroachment of harmful diseases into populated areas and the effects of rapid urbanization/destruction of ecosystems, or the many, many countless other forms of pollution we are incurring upon the natural world.

Humans have a substance abu$e problem.

• Like 4
  • Excited 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

00z CMC looks nice.

Trended a little drier for Monday/Tuesday and a little less troughy later in the week.   

I am really glad to see the ECMWF trending wetter at this point.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

16 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

I think we can all step aside and recognize that climate change doesn't have to literally end humanity for it to be considered a preventable disaster. The benchmark for a 'climate tragedy' does not need to include wiping out a proportion of our population in the range of whole percentage points.

Warming our climate system, combined with destabilization of the world supply chain, will leave billions food insecure and many millions as refugees. That doesn't even factor in the encroachment of harmful diseases into populated areas and the effects of rapid urbanization/destruction of ecosystems, or the many, many countless other forms of pollution we are incurring upon the natural world.

Humans have a substance abu$e problem.

What you say is true. However, abrupt+high amplitude climate change is the rule, not the exception. And that will not change, regardless of what we do.

The present warming is nothing, nada, zippo, compared to the violent, high amplitude warmings (and coolings) that have occurred over just the last 25,000 years.

The more we’ve learned about the climate system, the more we’ve come to realize what an unstable, fickle bitch it is. Back in the 1950s-70s, the prevailing opinion was that climate change is a slow, gradual process. Now, it is understood that is seldom the case, and in fact vast the majority of climate changes occur in the form of rapid vacillation(s) between quasi-stable states of operation. It is disruptive, forces mass extinctions on a regular basis, and is the driver of the evolution of all species. It can (and will) only get worse.

The only remarkable aspect about the climate system over the last 300 years is how “stable” it’s been, compared to what it could be. The only thing humanity can do is learn how to use resources more prudently, and prepare adaptive measures. Because it’s coming, and this is merely the prequel.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Trended a little drier for Monday/Tuesday and a little less troughy later in the week.   

I am really glad to see the ECMWF trending wetter at this point.

00z CMC actually trended cooler for the days I’m there. And the next three days as well.

A tad warmer 7/29 onwards, but I’ll have left by then.

Is there another reason why the GFS is always too warm there besides over drying/mixing the BL?

12z GFS had 86°F at SEA today, which was 9°F too warm. And that’s inside 12hrs. Don’t understand how a model can be so wrong right out of the gate.

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

Is there another reason why the GFS is always too warm there besides over drying/mixing the BL?

12z GFS had 86°F at SEA today, which was 9°F too warm. And that’s inside 12hrs. Don’t understand how a model can be so wrong right out of the gate.

It's been good this week overall.   In fact too cold on a few days.   You never post about those days.    As I mentioned many times... today was a perfect set up for underachieving.   

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

it just can’t seem to grasp the marine layer this time of year. Days like today will put this model in chaos. 

I can typically tell when I walk outside when the marine layer is already in place that the GFS will be wrong with its output.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Cloud said:

it just can’t seem to grasp the marine layer this time of year. Days like today will put this model in chaos. 

I can typically tell when I walk outside when the marine layer is already in place that the GFS will be wrong with its output.

I could see the issue today coming a couple days ago.    If the marine layer is moving solidly inland into my area after dawn... it will be an underachieving day.   Every time. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I could see the issue today coming a couple days ago.    If the marine layer is moving solidly inland into my area after dawn... it will be an underachieving day.   Every time. 

A solid layer rolled in at around 3-4am yesterday morning and by the time I left work at 6am, it was as thick as it can be. A bit unusual for this time of the year too. Knew then it would take well into the afternoon hours for this marine layer to burn off. 

still amazing that it topped out at 78. The GFS is in that realm of accuracy if it can get a handle on the marine layer. 

Just now, Cloud said:

No marine layer expected tonight and early morning. Willing to bet the GFS will perform much better today. 

Marine layer actually does get into Seattle by morning per the ECMWF.    But not into my area.    It will still be an underachieving day but not as bad.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cloud said:

A solid layer rolled in at around 3-4am yesterday morning and by the time I left work at 6am, it was as thick as it can be. A bit unusual for this time of the year too. Knew then it would take well into the afternoon hours for this marine layer to burn off. 

still amazing that it topped out at 78. The GFS is in that realm of accuracy if it can get a handle on the marine layer. 

It was clear here when I woke up but the marine layer rolled in around 6 and kept going to the north and east.   ECMWF showed that happening so it wasn't a surprise.  Once it gets out here then it takes longer to clear everywhere.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

It was clear here when I woke up but the marine layer rolled in around 6 and kept going to the north and east.   ECMWF showed that happening so it wasn't a surprise.  Once it gets out here then it takes longer to clear everywhere.

You wake up at 5? When do you sleep?