1 minute ago, TacomaWx said:

It takes a really special event to go past 3-4 days usually it seems. Wouldn’t be surprised if that’s what happens. Way too early to tell what’ll happen past next weekend at this point but the potential for this to be a 5-7 day event is there still. 

After the Pacific makes its best attempt to throw up a block Wednesday, everything sort of just shuts down out there. Not much in the way of organized weather to scour out what looks increasingly like an especially deep Arctic airmass over our area. I suspect that will change with time but right now there's no definitive signal to warm us in the mid range.

• Like 6

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

Seeing the slightest hint on the 18z ECMWF that the block is going to tilt more than the 12z.  That's a good thing.

• Like 8

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

5 minutes ago, iFred said:

image.png

Purdy!

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

3 minutes ago, Timmy said:

Did Andrew die or get banned?

A temporary timeout! 

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Block is definitely slightly west on this run just before the hammer drops.  Could be fun!

• Like 8

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, MossMan said:

A temporary timeout! 

Pretty sad when an adult needs a time out. 🤣

• lol 1
  • Popcorn 2
  • Shivering 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 hour ago, AbbyJr said:

Unfortunately, the Euro starts shifting that PV lobe eastward on the weekend. Do you think it’s being too progressive or probably accurate?

The Euro is deadly at this range, it’s not going to be too far off but there’s room for minor adjustments. If I were forecasting there I’d hug the EPS mean.

• Like 2

I was going to check out the big dump of snow in the mountains around Whistler today but my wheel bearing had other plans 🙃 . At least I snagged a few pics of the mountains finally covered in snow on my tow ride home.

DSC_0244.JPG

DSC_0247.JPG

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Block is definitely slightly west on this run just before the hammer drops.  Could be fun!

Not that it means much... but block just looks a little weaker overall on 18Z run.   The position is essentially locked in now. 

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, Phil said:

The Euro is deadly at this range, it’s not going to be too far off but there’s room for minor adjustments. If I were forecasting there I’d hug the EPS mean.

Always the way to go.    

• Like 3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

9 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Thing is the block is tilted more positively so the TPV lobe won’t penetrate quite as far SW (verbatim).

Tiny change, though. Essentially the same.

• Like 1
  • Sick 1

Looks like infinitesimally small changes on the 18z Euro 

• Like 2
  • Rain 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

1 minute ago, Requiem said:

Looks like infinitesimally small changes on the 18z Euro 

Now the focus shifts to the weekend and beyond.   Thursday and Friday are pretty much locked in.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Phil said:

Thing is the block is tilted more positively so the TPV lobe won’t penetrate quite as far SW (verbatim).

Tiny change, though. Essentially the same.

IMG_1633.jpeg

IMG_1635.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excited 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

3 minutes ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

Verification scores the last 30 days. EURO has been the best followed by the GEM then the UKMET. GFS is 4th. The colder models have been more accurate. An Arctic Blast is coming. The GFS has really been struggling.

IMG_2568.thumb.webp.9e4cd593bdabc16bca50647df9987be5.webp

Interesting that those models converged with the Euro while the GFS went in a different direction. Oh look! It did the exact same thing last few days. 🤣🤣

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Now the focus shifts to the weekend and beyond.   Thursday and Friday are pretty much locked in.  

Is there any higher resolution model you like to use for up here as the event draws near? Terrain bleed makes all these snow maps useless obviously but I feel like even trying to evaluate precip+temps is difficult given the sponge-squeezing Rattlesnake does. Best I’ve pieced together is to look at wind direction, how the precip approaches and temps and then compare that to previous events? 

3 minutes ago, NorthBend RainEnthusiast said:

Is there any higher resolution model you like to use for up here as the event draws near? Terrain bleed makes all these snow maps useless obviously but I feel like even trying to evaluate precip+temps is difficult given the sponge-squeezing Rattlesnake does. Best I’ve pieced together is to look at wind direction, how the precip approaches and temps and then compare that to previous events? 

HRRR, hi-res NAM, the much beloved ICON

• Like 4

Well looks like things are gonna be pretty epic this week from serious mountain snow to hyper-cold temperatures regionwide and . . .. juuuuuuust maybe a few flakes of snow here on the east shore of Lake Tapps.

• Like 2

East Shore of Lake Tapps

Bonney Lake, WA

6 minutes ago, NorthBend RainEnthusiast said:

For me in Leavenworth, I use the UW WRF 1.33km map.  I have found so often it is extremely accurate at this time range.  Nothing is 100%, but this is really good.

https://a.atmos.washington.edu/wrfrt/data/current_gfs/load.cgi?images_d4/ww_snowacc.72.0000.gif

image.png

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, Doinko said:

This would be nice to see Wednesday morning
web_ECMWF_Text_18z_HourlyData.jpg

Id take the Wednesday snow with a grain of salt. EURO also liked snow today and tomorrow. nails pattern and temps often but snow forecasts can be puzzling, due largely in part to the terrain and resolution issues. Wednesday appears to be “transition” day for sure after the warmer pattern earlier in week. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

For me in Leavenworth, I use the UW WRF 1.33km map.  I have found so often it is extremely accurate at this time range.  Nothing is 100%, but this is really good.

https://a.atmos.washington.edu/wrfrt/data/current_gfs/load.cgi?images_d4/ww_snowacc.72.0000.gif

image.png

Leavenworth is going to be stunning this weekend.

East Shore of Lake Tapps

Bonney Lake, WA