Radar is starting to look kind of juicy up near Bellingham.

• Like 3

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

Just now, Cascadia_Wx said:

What are your thoughts on how the low level cold persists next week? Feel like it could be a pretty optimal pattern with such a cold antecedent airmass, especially if we get some snowcover.

The GFS is best case with the sharper ridge solution. Pure gap wind with a nice lid on the air mass. With decent snowcover, I could see PDX flirting with four consecutive highs in the 20’s, although the other models seem to be more about NW’erly flow which would mean a quicker moderation at the surface.

• Like 3

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

17 minutes ago, smerfylicious said:

We have confirmation. It snow ❄️ 

20240111_114751.jpg

20240111_115334.jpg

A thing of beauty.

• Like 2

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

I am choosing to believe the other models mostly in lockstep rather than the NAM, which has apparently forgotten how to resolve low pressure areas

• Like 3

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Well what do you know. Bottom-up instead of top-down but it’s a SSW nonetheless (hence the near zero lag time to project onto the NAM (northern annular mode).

IMG_9453.jpeg

• Like 4
  • scream 1

13 minutes ago, iFred said:

@RentonHill and I will be there. @Meatyorologist and @SouthHillFrostymight be there. Was hoping for @MossManand @TT-SEA to make an appearance.

I’d 1000% be there if I could teleport.

• Excited 1

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Well what do you know. Bottom-up instead of top-down but it’s a SSW nonetheless (hence the near zero lag time to project onto the NAM (northern annular mode).

IMG_9453.jpeg

Do you think the SSW could bring another -PNA/-NAO period with some more PNW cold? Or will it likely go +PNA/-NAO?

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, AbbyJr said:

Do you think the SSW could bring another -PNA/-NAO period with some more PNW cold? Or will it likely go +PNA/-NAO?

+PNA and -NAO don’t really work well together, so I’d wager at least neutral/dormant PNA during next -NAO cycle (probably starts Feb 10-15).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

IMG_9453.jpeg

Can barely read the dates on it but if I’m correct it says January 24th? If that’s the case another bout of cold weather could happen at the end of fist week of February or so. Something to keep an eye on. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, iFred said:

@RentonHill and I will be there. @Meatyorologist and @SouthHillFrostymight be there. Was hoping for @MossManand @TT-SEA to make an appearance.

If you do another one up around Everett someday I will definitely make it! 

• Like 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

5 minutes ago, High Desert Mat? said:

Can barely read the dates on it but if I’m correct it says January 24th? If that’s the case another bout of cold weather could happen at the end of fist week of February or so. Something to keep an eye on. 

Possibly, yes. Though this is a bottom-up type SSW as opposed to the classic top-down type SSW.

The initial (minor) SSW that already happened has already downwelled effectively and is contributing to the -NAO

7867475f-eff6-462e-adf8-acdcfc15ef4c.png

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Poulsbo Snowman said:

Video call.  Just have your own beverage available.

Haha, I mean I’d be down. Does a Dasani water bottle count as a beverage??

7 minutes ago, Phil said:

+PNA and -NAO don’t really work well together, so I’d wager at least neutral/dormant PNA during next -NAO cycle (probably starts Feb 10-15).

Maybe another cold period in the PNW around that time then. One can hope. It can still get cold here in February. I remember February 2018 was quite cold and there was a region wide snowstorm up here in SWBC late month. 

• Like 2