4 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

2-4 for you coming. 

I agree this is very possible.   But Randy wants to know where the 8 inches of snow you promised him!  

• Like 4

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

6 minutes ago, WhoNeedsAC said:

Yep, hummingbirds can go into a semi-hibernation state to conserve energy when it's extremely cold. Unusual for them to pick the feeder rather than a sheltered spot in the bushes, but I guess they want to be first in line for the next meal 😀 .

https://www.birdsandblooms.com/birding/attracting-hummingbirds/where-do-hummingbirds-sleep/

Unfortunately the hummer turf wars are pretty brutal. The one that owns my feeder is ferociously defending it against several others. I'm sure that some of them won't make it. Their numbers were noticeably lower after the Dec 2021 cold snap. 

• Like 2

Incredibly cruel to ban me for no reason during the time when we got the Nyberg copypasta. Could have at least waited for me to say something *actually* bannable in response to that. Missing that was worse than the worst snow donut hole in the history of the NW. :(

• Like 1
  • lol 1
  • Confused 3
  • scream 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Weenie 1

Just now, GHweatherChris said:

Eff it, I am all in.... for a few hours.  I think 5-8 may be possible......

I just know tomorrow morning we are going to be saying this seems farther north than the models show.... seems to happen frequently in this set up.  

• Like 2
  • bongocat-test 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, the_convergence_zone said:

Unfortunately the hummer turf wars are pretty brutal. The one that owns my feeder is ferociously defending it against several others. I'm sure that some of them won't make it. Their numbers were noticeably lower after the Dec 2021 cold snap. 

Considering how tiny and fragile they seem (to us), they are remarkably pugnacious little birds.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

I just know tomorrow morning we are going to be saying this seems farther north than the models show.... seems to happen frequently in this set up.  

Wether it’s actually north or not it’ll be said 😂

• lol 2

25 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I wondering how much the raging east winds will eat up the moisture out in my neck of the woods. I’d still be very happy with 3-4 inches, though. Would at least be enough to keep us in the freezer for the inversion to follow.

What you lack in QPF you'll make up for in drifts. Serious chance they close I-84 and SR 14 tomorrow.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

No need to say something that happens more than not.  This will be the time it won't lol

• lol 1

1 hour ago, Perturbed Member said:

Pretty exciting stuff, usually we don't get such a well-defined artic front/boundary coming through down here like this, ends up as a slower bleed of cold air through the gorge initially. Pleasant surprise that the cold is not delayed and even seems a bit faster than promised. 

I bet Kayla is jealous.  Wishes he was us.  LOL

• Like 1

Just now, GHweatherChris said:

No need to say something that happens more than not.  This will be the time it won't lol

Good point.   You have no chance tomorrow Chris.   

6 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I agree this is very possible.   But Randy wants to know where the 8 inches of snow you promised him!  

I missed that one but I did say 6-12 around port angles so that wasn't to bad of a guess. Tomorrow can be tricky, the light snow line could make it further than anyone knows really.

• Like 2

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

6 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Was just thinking that some of the windchills up there must be the coldest since then.

This is probably evolving as close to 1968 as we could expect to see in the 21st century. And in another Nino. Imagine that.

It’s actually coming pretty close to Jim’s earlier hype about it being “historic.”

• Like 4
It's called clown range for a reason.

15 minutes ago, Mid Valley Duck said:

Things that make you go hmmm
12z GFSimage.png.b0819c1f2bcf34d47e4d83e8f304fbcc.png

1/10/17
image.png.bd0a05ed9a8a9a9615bac87b91e7b785.png

1/1/2004
image.png.9aa173f8ccf20fb8affa863d87cf1abd.png
2/7/2014
image.png.29a82c141c546cda9d72ec77c0b58102.png
1/11/1998
image.png.b628a2440d88622709833ba96b1dbd78.png

Seems to be an early January thing too.  

• Like 2

Just now, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

You don't see this very often. Puget sound frozen ses spray near Port orchard. 

20240112_105829.jpg

I was thinking about heading down to the waterfront  tomorrow to see if there was some freezing spray from the north winds! 

13 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Was just thinking that some of the windchills up there must be the coldest since then.

This is probably evolving as close to 1968 as we could expect to see in the 21st century. And in another Nino. Imagine that.

Ninos seem to be blockier and more 'potential' for arctic chill than NIna's?

-22F at noon was not something I thought I was going to see with this airmass 2 days ago.🥶

• Like 7

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

3 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

seems like a westside special.  cold over here but nothing record breaking (yet).  also record breaking east of the rockies maybe

Think it's mostly a case of the cold air getting here a little earlier.

Looking at the records, Spokane's coldest today is -7, and the forecast is -10 to -14 tonight. Bet you break a record tonight or tomorrow morning.

It's called clown range for a reason.

2 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

I was thinking about heading down to the waterfront  tomorrow to see if there was some freezing spray from the north winds! 

To give you a idea how brutal 1990 was, there was 2 feet long ice hanging off power lines down there. 

• Like 1
  • scream 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

59 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Back up to a balmy 4.8 degrees here.  Because of the winds, I am having to swap out my hummingbird feeder about every hour or so even with my red neck attempts to heat it. I have some thick shrubs on the side of my deck that is out of the wind where they can take refuge.  

IMG_7243.thumb.jpeg.ecc07e9bc76771b2a18bda7532c5bf63.jpeg

I finally broke down and got a heater.  When the east winds are howling, the feeder freezes in a couple hrs.  If I have to be gone, it's a problem.  Now I don't have to worry.  Usually I rotate 2-3 feeders.  Always have one thawed one out. 

• Like 3