4 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Almost need a separate thread for this Portland event.

For WA people... ECMWF starts off right away as freezing rain on Tuesday evening.   But fortunately it's short-lived and warms up just after midnight pet this run.

ecmwf-deterministic-or_wa-frzr_total-5471200.png

Yep.mid week Is going to be more winter weather one way or another. 

• Like 2

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

9 minutes ago, Ken in Wood Village said:

Currently a heavy snow shower coming my way 🤗🌨❄️

KRTX - Super-Res Reflectivity 1, 10_06 AM.gif

KRTX - Precipitation Depiction, 10_08 AM.gif

This shows me as in the blue but we’ve switched to straight sleet for the last 20 minutes or so. Maybe we’ll transition back?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

For WA people... ECMWF starts off right away as freezing rain on Tuesday evening.   But fortunately it's short-lived and warms up just after midnight pet this run.

Warms up and on to spring.

15 minutes ago, thickhog said:

This might be another case where the east and north sides of the metro win out. have had light sleet/snow mix here almost all morning. 

Absolutely dumping blizzard conditions here

• Like 4

Portland | Raleigh Hills/West Sylvan | 350’

”All models are wrong, some are useful.”

-G. Box

Just now, Slushy Inch said:

Tim is the only one who will post a snow map with no snow.

Its very close for SW BC and Vancouver Island and trended a little south of 00Z run. 

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

10 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

If freezing rain has to happen, at least that's one of the more ideal ways for it to play out. I can live with a quick coating of ice that switches to regular rain before morning. Gives at least a few hours that night to enjoy the novelty of everything being coated with ice, while hopefully not ruining too many lives the next day.

• Like 3

Getting breezy in Everett. Thankfully as Tim pointed out, we warm up in just a couple days, the Euro (the only model to be trusted) shows seasonal El Nino before spring, and the heat death of the universe will be the only time we can be assured of anything decent if you're one of those degenerate cold lovers. Thanks Tim!

• Like 3
  • Popcorn 1
  • scream 1

1 minute ago, GobBluth said:

Noisy stuff falling outside to be just snow in Tanasbourne area. Think it's at least half sleet still. Bizarre with all the all snow reports around me 

That's close to me, I have just snow now

• bongocat-test 1

Weather! Atmospheric conditions

You know nothing is happening at your neck of the woods when NWS in Medford in the morning discussion only talked about Douglas County 😂 Also, 37F and rain here ☔

• Sad 5

53 minutes ago, RCola said:

At least you won't be livid alone. 😀

Things change for sure, but there are two truths we do know.

1. If the GFS is by itself at this range and it shows something interesting for Seattle, usually it doesn't pan out that way. Take, for example, the system today as modeled 5 days ago by the GFS.

2. There are always last minute north trends, big or small. 

I don't want to speculate too much yet because the models are going to flip flop until Tuesday, but my gut says the most likely outcome is a freezing rain storm a la 2022. 

Absolutely the antithesis of glee-ridden at the thought but probably not incorrect.

Yea, I have had enough of the GFS and it's gaggle of low resolution members.  Stick the the Euro/EPS.

1 minute ago, iFred said:

Getting breezy in Everett. Thankfully as Tim pointed out, we warm up in just a couple days, the Euro (the only model to be trusted) shows seasonal El Nino before spring, and the heat death of the universe will be the only time we can be assured of anything decent if you're one of those degenerate cold lovers. Thanks Tim!

You're welcome Fred! 

Only about 30 posts from me about the complicated evolution mid-week and there is literally no way to tell what will happen.    But yeah... angry sarcasm can be therapeutic.    😍

• Like 4
  • lol 1
  • scream 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Models should have lots of fun with this complicated hand off... might not know much until the event starts.

ecmwf-deterministic-namer-z500_anom-1705147200-1705384800-1705633200-10.gif

• Like 5
  • Shivering 1

19 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

PDX record low today is 11, they could come close. 

Hard for me to picture that much evaporational prowess to come, but who knows. I will be pretty satisfied if they manage to get below 15.

• Like 3

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

1 minute ago, Ken in Wood Village said:

Look at the enhancement going on. These showers are getting intense. Looks like the mix is turning back to snow 😳🤗🌨❄️

KRTX - Super-Res Reflectivity 1, 10_31 AM.gif

KRTX - Precipitation Depiction, 10_31 AM.gif

Wow, that heavy band is heading straight for here. I thoought precip would lighten up but it's just getting heavier

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Hard for me to picture that much evaporational prowess to come, but who knows. I will be pretty satisfied if they manage to get below 15.

True. Too bad they are one of the warmest places in the metro. Plenty of places in east and southeast PDX in the 10-12 range right now. 

• Like 3

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

1 minute ago, Perturbed Member said:

Some sleet mixing in here for sure now. It was dead silent all morning but now you can hear some sleet and ice crusted snow hitting the windows. 

Yeah, same here but it still seems to be mostly snow.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, SpaceRace22 said:

If freezing rain has to happen, at least that's one of the more ideal ways for it to play out. I can live with a quick coating of ice that switches to regular rain before morning. Gives at least a few hours that night to enjoy the novelty of everything being coated with ice, while hopefully not ruining too many lives the next day.

I actually kind of like the old silver thaw, myself. We'll have a ton of snow on the ground and an icy mantle looks kind of cool. And preserves the snow a little better for the days that follow.

Edited by BLI snowman
  • Like 9

Just now, TacomaWx said:

Tempting to want to head down there and experience the storm. As much as y’all are rooting against sleet I feel like sleet/snowstorm would be awesome to experience. Never really seen anything like that. 

Here? :0

Weather! Atmospheric conditions

Just now, BLI snowman said:

I actually kind of like the old silver thaw, myself. We'll have a ton of snow on the ground and an icy mantle looks kind of cool. And preserves the snow a little better for the days that follow.

A little coating of freezing rain is amazing at protecting snow cover.   

• Like 8