February 2024 Weather in the PNW

8 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Partly sunny and a little breezy this morning, up to 39 after a low of 36. Can see the foothills to the east had  some snow last night. But just slushy rain down here unfortunately.

Had a decent amount of it, close to 1”

Slushy Rain is better than 53 degree rain man!!

• Like 2

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

2 minutes ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

So now we wait for the 25th timeframe

It’s coming! 

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

We’ve had light snow almost all morning here in snoqualmie but hasn’t amounted to anything. Fun to watch though. I guess like it was just mentioned wait for some potential later this month or early March. Hoping the Trace snowfall on 1/11 and this morning isn’t it for the year…but we will see. We’ve got a few more weeks left in our window of opportunity. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Phil said:

Andrew is an emotional man. His wife def plays the masculine role in their relationship.

How do you know my wife?! 

Edited by SilverFallsAndrew
  • Popcorn 2
  • scream 2
  • bongocat-test 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

1 minute ago, BLI snowman said:

Seems like the gorge underachieved a little perhaps. Looks like the accumulations started around Bonneville Dam and were generally 2-4" near the river. Still some light snow moving through.

Makes sense. A Bonneville accumulation cutoff is a pretty far cry from seeing snow here.

• Like 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

46 minutes ago, Phil said:

Beautiful!! I love wet snow that clings to every twig like that. Hoping for some of the same tomorrow night.

98% of our snowfalls look like that here.  Even when it’s in the 20s it’s usually dead calm here and the snow accumulates on just about everything.  

12 minutes ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

But maybe only cold enough for mountain/foothill snow. 

image.thumb.png.a68d301209304d7359b6c17ffa051492.png

Our historic cold wave last month did not look great cold wise a few weeks out either…People were complaining that there was “not much in the way of cold to tap into” which sure changed in a hurry. This is the best I have felt all winter about getting a good snowfall here! 

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

2 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Our historic cold wave last month did not look great cold wise a few weeks out either…People were complaining that there was “not much in the way of cold to tap into” which sure changed in a hurry. This is the best I have felt all winter about getting a good snowfall here! 

Time will tell. I'm sure I am in the minority, but i'd be okay if the cold is done by mid march. At that time, bring on Spring!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

PWS: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWAPORTA220

2023-2024 Snow Total: 18" (6 events)

36 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

What is causing the blockier Nino? Its almost like February has some magic driving force, 8 years straight Feb has delivered a moderate to strong snow event for parts of western Washington

Combination of perturbed, receptive stratosphere (aided by -QBO descending to 50mb early in the winter) and the structure of the niño itself (and how it evolved).

The seasonality you describe is tied to inter/intradecadal variability in the structure of the indo-west pacific warm pool, from which ENSO/PMM/etc are emergent. At some point, this will change, and the tendency will be for front loaded winters.

12 minutes ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

Time will tell. I'm sure I am in the minority, but i'd be okay if the cold is done by mid march. At that time, bring on Spring!

Once Feb ends I am the same way. I switch into Tim mode.

• Like 2
  • Sick 1

16 minutes ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

Yes!! Post March 15th I am ready for the new season as well! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

12 minutes ago, Phil said:

Combination of perturbed, receptive stratosphere (aided by -QBO descending to 50mb early in the winter) and the structure of the niño itself (and how it evolved).

The seasonality you describe is tied to inter/intradecadal variability in the structure of the indo-west pacific warm pool, from which ENSO/PMM/etc are emergent. At some point, this will change, and the tendency will be for front loaded winters.

You just need to move back here so you too can enjoy our annual February/March epicness! 

• Excited 1
  • lol 1

16 minutes ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

I'll still cheer for a wet pattern with mountain snow but after daylight savings time starts I don't want anything to do with blocks.

• Weenie 1

21 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Still crazy we pulled such a big event out of such a crappy background state. Record warmth across much of the Northern Hemisphere and PDX, in a winter that otherwise might as well have happened 700 miles to the south, pulled off its coldest afternoon temp in decades.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • Weenie 1

49F with some rain.

• Weenie 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope