December 2020 Weather Observations for the PNW

Omegaraptor

In analyzing the past 4 NAM 3km runs from 4-7 AM Monday specifically looking at 700-500mb Frontogenesis, Temp Advection, Winds, Heights, and Cyclonic Vorticity, it appears tonight's run features stronger 700mb winds ~SSW 60 KT along the exit region of the trough following the 292dam contour digging a bit more sharply. This coincides with more consolidated Cyclonic Vorticity and lift giving the wave development into the surface low a bit more punch. The 700mb wind field itself is far more expansive along and ahead the sharpening cold front offshore. The weaker solutions along the 292dam height contour did not feature as sharp of a 'dip' and thus the Cyclonic energy was a bit more stretched hampering development towards the central Washington Coast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OysterPrintout said:

yeah hills tend to do ok in the marginal setups. March I had about 15 minutes of a great snow globe onto wet pavement which has by and large been the modus operandi in the city center since Jan 2017. Some dustings in 2019.

The last event of any real sticking snow was 2/20 2018 which had had 4" at the airport but I got about 1-2" in Goose Hollow TR1zggAFEeXxuWAgqIrIemXdi-Rte3b1XFGVQt9umBQO7ZNA5admZRLY8d981Qem8KOVtPU3i_Tl6jxy5vu7uDheVr3vnw1Mt138ytFN38uZY_gP4YHfDP19aQWQ3WEc6jripqUuQFhwMemTWKMJCRxw4deMxWs-2xqxIhmFlUHNdKX-Sr7Ym4O7TK3DiNoakL0tmT3KtNw4TcngEK5Ytm_5dn_mwc8A17g6fDdQpiGVYK8nkTc8hg1ZSwUjv5_tYqUFMVcYBM9lUxzFc1XX5kgXEyriVWr6PR-gp5ZclrBoOv9YrfNz7qx5aQQcPB8qcQi4VSJGkWaTBZYzotVcKHWhXTC8J4X0vDzvfK_nDG4OsBd_Qxc_Ir_1QHMykqTmws3r0PsUhxA_cWIDicIyGwqsqv5lwqh0d87uoKKWGaaYHh5E-bhvQ5pF7i4fOiSgK-MHt6eIU4DPmoc3yFunhqDWBFs9K30Ui-21gTI-OktkoS-AURn3V25JK5r2wNdKjgp_R36CxuRSd-BrxQhYW8v2KLkw6qD-eLrC_A3qWQiAUGHYoaPKDQbM2wDSbgH49TrIrCTb5CbYQdfxa_gCKq11DoD5Pk6rXzBVFCxULxtxkRWvaFZHs7pCVolIViQPR7CgwPuYMhgT3yIt1uah8WX0Bw2qQfUUM7B3ORk5XOaR6kanbYm6N8Iq0pAJ=w1251-h938-no?authuser=0

Hoping we can all get buried with snow come January-- fingers crossed!

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

3 minutes ago, DJ Droppin said:

In analyzing the past 4 NAM 3km runs from 4-7 AM Monday specifically looking at 700-500mb Frontogenesis, Temp Advection, Winds, Heights, and Cyclonic Vorticity, it appears tonight's run features stronger 700mb winds ~SSW 60 KT along the exit region of the trough following the 292dam contour digging a bit more sharply. This coincides with more consolidated Cyclonic Vorticity and lift giving the wave development into the surface low a bit more punch. The 700mb wind field itself is far more expansive along and ahead the sharpening cold front offshore. The weaker solutions along the 292dam height contour did not feature as sharp of a 'dip' and thus the Cyclonic energy was a bit more stretched hampering development towards the central Washington Coast.

So it’s not the ink cartridge just being low on color ink :(  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wxmet said:

How many variations of the saying the same thing can you come up with?

Lived it for 15 years.  It is what will happen.  This setup happened a hundred times while I was there.  

A convergence zone in a small area will be what makes it snow.  Widespread puget sound snow just isn't going to happen, those models are on crack.

1 hour ago, OysterPrintout said:

yeah hills tend to do ok in the marginal setups. March I had about 15 minutes of a great snow globe onto wet pavement which has by and large been the modus operandi in the city center since Jan 2017. Some dustings in 2019.

The last event of any real sticking snow was 2/20 2018 which had had 4" at the airport but I got about 1-2" in Goose Hollow 

Yeah, it's been pretty lame here since February 2018. I had 2.5" total in 2018-19 and somehow had more with 3" last winter, but there hasn't been a daylong event since 2/20/18. I know most of Washington, Columbia, and Cowlitz counties are a similar story.

3 hours ago, MossMan said:

It does? I need to take a look! 
Anyway the damage is done, equipment is staged, and my wife just found out. 

9B86FC3B-55FF-4C13-B47D-F05E9DB6913B.jpeg

What’s with the ramp?

• Like 1

Very rainy out there. 54/48 for the day. Currently 51F.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

31 minutes ago, TheNewCulverJosh said:

Lived it for 15 years.  It is what will happen.  This setup happened a hundred times while I was there.  

A convergence zone in a small area will be what makes it snow.  Widespread puget sound snow just isn't going to happen, those models are on crack.

Could you point me to the years and dates since this has happened so frequently? I would love to take a look.

19 minutes ago, Phil said:

What’s with the ramp?

A few months after buying the place we converted the entertainment room into a MIL and moved my mom in. She had a senior blind dog so we added that ramp for them. 

• Like 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth!