December 2020 Weather Observations for the PNW

Omegaraptor

1 hour ago, Front Ranger said:

That's taken a bit out of context. She was saying the religious aspects to it are nonsense.

I appreciate the kind response. 😀

Assuming you were referring to my post, I should mention that I'm a guy. Not sure if the "She" was just a typing mistake or not. Either way, I'm not offended or anything. Just wanted to point that out. 👍😀

3 minutes ago, AbbyJr said:

I appreciate the kind response. 😀

Assuming you were referring to my post, I should mention that I'm a guy. Not sure if the "She" was just a typing mistake or not. Either way, I'm not offended or anything. Just wanted to point that out. 👍😀

Are you sure you're not a she? :huh:

15 minutes ago, umadbro said:

Doesn't look like anything other than progressive flow, lowland rain and mountain snow

He was talking about Eurasia.  Point being the SSW is doing its thing.  Predictions for colder NW are not until mid January, and this pattern is following the script.  Ventrice said models won't pick up on the North America changes for another 3 to 5 days.

• Like 1
  • Snow 1

1 minute ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

He was talking about Eurasia.  Point being the SSW is doing its thing.  Predictions for colder NW are not until mid January, and this pattern is following the script.  Ventrice said models won't pick up on the North America changes for another 3 to 5 days.

-EPO developing towards the end of this run.

Though I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t jealous of those Russians right now. Epic stuff for them.

• Popcorn 1

10 hours ago, Cloud said:

What's actually quite incredible it's something I've been keeping tabs on for a while is in Seoul right now. The region has been in the 20s to mid 30s for day time highs and lows in the teens to single digits for good month to month and a half now. Very little snow, just frigid sunny weather and crazy consistent. It seems like it's going to get colder next week. 

I know it gets cold there in Seoul, but I don't think it's normal for them to be this consistently cold. 

Think Korean War, Chosin Reservoir, December 1950.  Our armed forces were in conflict with North  Korean forces and eventually the Chinese when they came across the border.  Weather was exceedingly cold, in the area of -20F.  It was so cold that some seriously wounded men were saved because their wounds froze up and kept them from bleeding out.

A good read on this, if you are interested, "The Last Stand of Fox Company" by Bob Drury. 

I can only make an assumption the synoptic situation present in 1950 over China and North Korea is similar to the current synoptic situation.

• Like 3

Location: 10 miles south of downtown Portland between Gladstone and Milwaukie

Elevation: 335'

1 minute ago, AbbyJr said:

The temperature anomolies are not very cold for the PNW though. I assume the 500mb pattern is good but the arctic air has not come down south yet? (Based on the time of the run)

Yeah, but the cold is building quickly in western Canada.

• Like 3

3/4" out there. Snow is letting up and its mostly a foggy mist now.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Wow 2500’ snow levels at hour 384! Score!

• lol 1
  • Sad 1
  • scream 1
  • Weenie 3

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

6 minutes ago, Acer said:

I'm amazed at your stamina.  I would have tired of posting these maps three weeks ago.

I'm kind of like Mr. Hankey. I only show up on the Forum around Christmas time, minus singing improvised Christmas Carols, or living in a sewer. It's an obsession more than anything. I think.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, DJ Droppin said:

I'm kind of like Mr. Hankey. I only show up on the Forum around Christmas time, minus singing improvised Christmas Carols, or living in a sewer. It's an obsession more than anything. I think.

Obsession is a prerequisite for hanging around this forum.  Thanks for all your effort.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Not sure if anyone linked this but for those seeking Dr. Ventrice’s video here it is.

For those seeking instant gratification, start watching at ~ 34 minutes in. I really do like his analysis here including the EOFs to differentiate wave structures and their long term evolution.

FWIW his projection for PNW ~ 40mins in fits very well w/ the timeline we’ve all discussed.

• Like 3
  • Excited 1