PNW January 2022, Contact Info for Phil

The Blob

13 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

Appreciating shoutout from Joe :)

Anyways, going to watch radar closely tonight, but may miss out on some snowfall bc today is the last day of winter break at NSC 😭

North Seattle College? Are you mostly online for the rest of this month to start the new quarter? My wife is starting her nursing program Thursday at NSC and they just sent out an email yesterday saying classes are all online until Jan 31st. Reason behind it was weather, but seems odd. 

When I left the island it was snowing. There was hail and snow covering 405 in downtown Bellevue which caused a serious wreck going SB. Here in Bothell the sun is out and it is just above freezing.

• Like 1
  • scream 1

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

7 minutes ago, T-Town said:

Actually snowing lightly on the fringe of this shower. If we can get one to actually hit us it could be fun. 

Looks like the temperature profile is excellent right now.  Can't wait to see how some of these showers track.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, Cloud said:

North Seattle College? Are you mostly online for the rest of this month to start the new quarter? My wife is starting her nursing program Thursday at NSC and they just sent out an email yesterday saying classes are all online until Jan 31st. 

Yeah, North Seattle! My Calc 2 class is online for at least the next three weeks, my Comp Sci class for just one at the moment, with intent to incorporate in person lessons afterwards. So far no indication for retreating online in my US History class.

If that email is indeed true, I'll be pretty disappointed. I don't learn as well in this online environment and the feedback is much slower. So far I've only heard that professors can choose what they feel comfortable and safe with; it would suck to have an outright mandate.

• Like 2

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

So that hail turned into wet snow as the cell was on its way out. I was leaving work right about then so the first few minutes of my commute home were snowy.

• Like 3

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

19 minutes ago, Everleigh said:

😮. I wonder what's in it!? lol 

16412533325746024960815226743949.jpg

That hail shower covered the roofs in white and dropped the temp from 39.2° to 36° in about two minutes. lol We now have an icy, snow/rain mix falling. 

Edit: Down to 34.2* now and just snow falling!  Holy cow.

• Like 1
  • Snow 1

1 minute ago, hawkstwelve said:

Temp is already down to 35 here after a high of 38. Cold air hanging on fairly alright here and looks like we should have a shower moving through shortly. See what happens.

The high of 38 means I have not seen a high above 40 since Christmas Eve. Not too shabby.

Yes.  We are holding onto the cold air very well here.  Keeping that south wind under control really helps us in these cases.  I think the average temp for the first third of this month is going to be pretty decent here.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

4 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Decent batch of showers off the coast.

Those look poised to nail this area.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

Yeah, North Seattle! My Calc 2 class is online for at least the next three weeks, my Comp Sci class for just one at the moment, with intent to incorporate in person lessons afterwards. So far no indication for retreating online in my US History class.

If that email is indeed true, I'll be pretty disappointed. I don't learn as well in this online environment and the feedback is much slower. So far I've only heard that professors can choose what they feel comfortable and safe with; it would suck to have an outright mandate.

I think the online stuff was strictly for her program. They had initially split the courses 50/50 online and campus but moved towards all online for lectures. Labs and clinical remains on campus. I just find it weird that they cite weather rather than give the real reasons. I think most professors prefer online now since it’s convenient for them but not so much for the students imo. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Snow is already frozen and crunchy here. 32.1. Couple inches tonight and maybe couple inches tomorrow night then probably 4-8 during the overrunning event.  If the winds stay calm it could actually remain snow here until FROPA, normally that's what happens. 

You may have snow on the ground for a long long time.  The models are toying with either an inversion or another GOA block during week two.  ECMWF weeklies look promising for Jan 20 to early Feb.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Struggled up to 36.5 today during earlier sunbreak, but a heavier shower moved through, dragged temp back to 33, and dropped some more snow on Sultan. Very small flakes falling currently. And here I thought we might melt out today. WWA for 1-3" tonight says otherwise!

10 minutes ago, Cloud said:

I think the online stuff was strictly for her program. They had initially split the courses 50/50 online and campus but moved towards all online for lectures. Labs and clinical remains on campus. I just find it weird that they cite weather rather than give the real reasons. I think most professors prefer online now since it’s convenient for them but not so much for the students imo. 

They cited the weather as a reason to move classes online for a month at a time? That's absurd.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

2 minutes ago, 1000'NorthBend said:

Calculus 2 is so good, enjoy! For some reason I did not enjoy Calculus 3 (Multivariable Calculus) but Differential Equations and Partial Differential Equations sucked me back in!

Weird! I feel the same way as well! I hated multivariable so much but very much loved differential. Probability and statistics was also one of my favorite. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, iFred said:

Yup, winter is over. We've got pretty much nothing looking good after this and probably should wrap it up. Ridge is in a weak spot, warm air washes over, and the sun angles are going to be angled too high for any nice inversion. Just over, done with, nothing left, death becomes of us all and there is nothing forward to look too except the end. Glad you're taking the time to bring the deranged down back to earth.

The best winters are the winters where ALL weenies can get their weenies stroked, Mr. Crabbypants.

• Like 1
  • lol 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • scream 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

7 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

They cited the weather as a reason to move classes online for weeks at a month? That's absurd.

Yeah. I find that completely absurd as well. I think it was intended to be that way all along, they just used weather as an excuse. The other part is most likely Omnicron, they did mentioned that in the email.

Just now, TT-SEA said:

18Z ECMWF shows Vancouver Island and Bellingham getting hit pretty good with the Wednesday night and Thursday system.  

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-snow_24hr_kuchera-1502800.png

Euro continues to be much less threatening than the GFS South of Skagit County.

snku_024h.us_nw (1).png

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

• Like 4

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

Temperatures:

NWS is definitely more on board with the potential of some snowfall in the Puget Sound for The Wed/Thurs system than last night.

"This is a classic overrunning setup with cool N/NE flow (Fraser Outflow) and low snow levels while a warm front spreads moisture up from the south. Timing is crucial - how far south do the north winds reach and when does the warmer air mass move inland? At this point, it looks like areas from Seattle/Tacoma northward will see some accumulating snow with highest amounts over Skagit and western Whatcom."

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

I finished my final quarter of classes online right at the beginning of the pandemic and felt much the same way. It was also much easier to zone out when the professors couldn’t see what I was doing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ice_is_Everywhere said:

I finished my final quarter of classes online right at the beginning of the pandemic and felt much the same way. It was also much easier to zone out when the professors couldn’t see what I was doing.

Currently doing my mba online…. It sucks. Much rather have it in person 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Weird! I feel the same way as well! I hated multivariable so much but very much loved differential. Probability and statistics was also one of my favorite. 

I also really enjoyed Probability and Stats; I think I took four or five statistics courses during my college career and liked all of them. I don’t remember my calculus courses well enough to know if I enjoyed them or not.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

18Z ECMWF shows Vancouver Island and Bellingham getting hit pretty good with the Wednesday night and Thursday system.  

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-snow_24hr_kuchera-1502800.png

We never talk about the east side but the euro is horrible for some reason with snow amounts around omak and towards my cabin. Like WAY off.  The UW model is really good for there.

• Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

1 minute ago, Ice_is_Everywhere said:

It really does lose any semblance of structure... Assignments feel so much more arbitrary and the increasingly insane tuition makes the whole "college experience" feel much less legitimate. At the very least I want to be there to interact with classmates and ask questions directly, if they're going to tap my savings dry.

It's more of a "mad at the situation, not the person" type deal, like I know it's not a bad idea to keep things online right now with Omicron running rampant, but at the same time these safer choices do have significant drawbacks to me personally. Just unfortunate.

• Like 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

Temperatures:

1 minute ago, Meatyorologist said:

It really does lose any semblance of structure... Assignments feel so much more arbitrary and the increasingly insane tuition makes the whole "college experience" feel much less legitimate. At the very least I want to be there to interact with classmates and ask questions directly, if they're going to tap my savings dry.

It's more of a "mad at the situation, not the person" type deal, like I know it's not a bad idea to keep things online right now with Omicron running rampant, but at the same time these safer choices do have significant drawbacks to me personally. Just unfortunate.

I think the inability to ask questions directly was the most jarring part for me.

• Like 1

In Mountlake Terrace and they definitely got a solid snow cover still. Down to 34° across most of this area. 

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"