PNW December 2022 - Part II

Guest hawkstwelve

4 minutes ago, Cloud said:

what’s everyone else doing besides tracking this crap? 

I’m watching Everest to get my snow fix from this exiting airmass… 🤣

Salting my driveway. Gotta drive my finance into work at 6am….. I am legitimately worried. I have never seen moderate rain before at 22 degrees 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

Salting my driveway. Gotta drive my finance into work at 6am….. I am legitimately worried. I have never seen moderate rain before at 22 degrees 

Dude do not take her to work.  The roads will be worse than you have ever tried to drive on.

• Like 7
  • Shivering 2

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

1 minute ago, Deweydog said:

Really impressive how persistent the sleet profile has remained. Obviously the surface temps help as we wet bulbed nicely down to 20 here. 

I can't believe I went from  snow right to freezing rain.  And it's pouring rain, this is just insane. 

• Like 4
  • Rain 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

2 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Really impressive how persistent the sleet profile has remained. Obviously the surface temps help as we wet bulbed nicely down to 20 here. 

I can’t remember ever seeing it this cold here and not have the precip at least start as snow.  Probably been a few occasions where we had sleet and freezing rain on the backend of a snowstorm with temps around 20.  Probably Dec 1996

I wonder when we'll fully make the switch-- mix of sleet and ZR here.

• Shivering 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Guest hawkstwelve
18 minutes ago, Cloud said:

what’s everyone else doing besides tracking this crap? 

I’m watching Everest to get my snow fix from this exiting airmass… 🤣

Making sure my car is charged to 100%.

Watching the cameras for signs of sleet, so far flurries.

Looking at Grafana, temps still flat at 23°.

Looking at power grid data, load for SnoPUD looks high.

I have to be up in four hours to argue with some engineers. I should be sleeping.

Just now, ShawniganLake said:

I can’t remember ever seeing it this cold here and not have the precip at least start as snow.  Probably been a few occasions where we had sleet and freezing rain on the backend of a snowstorm with temps around 20.  Probably Dec 1996

Yeah I can’t think of any examples off the top of my head. And to start as sleet, transition entirely to ZR then back to straight sleet for a few hours is pretty goofy. 

• Shivering 3

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

5 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Dude do not take her to work.  The roads will be worse than you have ever tried to drive on.

She’s works at Harborview Hospital and her department is already some ppl short….. I will wake and up assess the road. If it is impassible, I will not try. 

• Like 8

Witnessing rain in 22 degrees was insane like I thought this was going to at least start as snow and then change to rain when it got to around 29 at least but nope. I’m actually really nervous about what I’m going to wake up to tomorrow morning.

• Like 3

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

Could we essentially be in the clear down this way? Moisture looks pretty limited going by radar and mesoscales

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

19 minutes ago, Forum Admin said:

Making sure my car is charged to 100%.

Noooo!!! Charging to 100% and then not immediately using enough energy to get it below 90% is *horrible* for your battery. Letting it sit at 100% for any extended amount of time is basically the worst thing you can do for it. I'm begging you, only charge it to 90% tonight! It will still be plenty to get through this storm given how short it is, lol.