Part I - January 2020 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Ok so this evening just got a bit worse for me, my dr. called and informed me of the results of my CT scan and it is cancer, according to my dr. it is treatable and won't involve any really invasive treatment/s.

Needless to say I am taking it as best as possible atm, but hearing those words really changes your psyche in a way I never thought it would for me. My interactions and posts will be limited going forward. 

Here's hoping it dumps two feet of snow from Nanaimo to Eugene.

See you weirdo's soon. 

• Like 7

BTW, 16 years ago right now it was icy AF.

That week was one of my first weather weenie memories. I was in 7th grade and pumped to miss more school after winter break.

I was in 5th grade in that storm.. was my first blizzard I ever experienced. 50+ mph winds with heavy blowing snow I think early morning of Jan 6th? Strange purple sky also. Power was flickering, surprised it didn't go out half the day at my Bethany apartments.

I had a week off of school, right after winter break too so it was like an extended vacation for the kids. Jan 2004 and Dec 2008 were the only two times which I had 5 consecutive snow days. 2008 was right before winter break, another extended break!

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 17
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 5/4, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

What should we call snow that the GFS shows and over-promises all the time in marginal situations?

Its usually not real snow accumulating on the ground.    Phantom seems like a good word for what the GFS shows sometimes.   :)

This is not totally true. It was right last February. In fact it was the closest with the ridiculous amounts it was showing here.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Ok so this evening just got a bit worse for me, my dr. called and informed me of the results of my CT scan and it is cancer, according to my dr. it is treatable and won't involve any really invasive treatment/s.

Needless to say I am taking it as best as possible atm, but hearing those words really changes your psyche in a way I never thought it would for me. My interactions and posts will be limited going forward.

See you weirdo's soon.

Geez, so terribly sorry to hear that. Will be keeping you in my thoughts as you go through this and wishing you the best.
  • Like 2

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

See you weirdo's soon. 

Really sorry to hear that... I totally understand stepping away.

I am sure you will kick its a*s... and be back smacking us around soon!

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Yeah that was a really small upstream detail that made the most of itself to deball that guy pretty effectively. Lots of incredible runs prior to that however it it did end up working out okay...

This one is a different animal, in some good ways and some maybe not so good.

Always a good sign to see you hedge.

A forum for the end of the world.

See you weirdo's soon. 

Very sorry to hear that man.

Keep your head up and we will all be hoping for a speedy recovery for you, and a little more fun weather to take your mind off things.

• Like 2

See you weirdo's soon. 

Oh my god, so sorry to hear that. No doubt you will destroy that blight, I wish you the very best. Kick cancer's a**.

• Like 4

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

I was trying to keep this at bay but it's now necessary. This will be recognized as the first full blown Antichrist post of 2020.

Everyone has opinions... makes it more fun.   

It would be so boring if everyone thought exactly the same.    ;)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

See you weirdo's soon. 

Sorry to hear. Glad it's treatable - hopefully no chemo? 

Never been there and hard to imagine, but I know plenty of people who've had to deal with cancer in their lives. Focus on what's important, and hopefully the weather will provide a pleasant distraction as much as possible.

• Like 2

A forum for the end of the world.

See you weirdo's soon.

Sorry dude, but-

download-1.jpg

• Like 4

See you weirdo's soon.

Very tough post to read my friend. A few pieces of advise. DO NOT let them give you the run around on things like we'll see you in 6 months after your treatment to see how you are doing.Demand fast prompt care and try and go in as many times as possible after treatment to verify it is gone. I've been through this disease with a loved one and learned a bunch the hard way. Keep your chin up you'll beat this shitt
  • Like 7

Very tough post to read my friend. A few pieces of advise. DO NOT let them give you the run around on things like we'll see you in 6 months after your treatment to see how you are doing.Demand fast prompt care and try and go in as many times as possible after treatment to verify it is gone. I've been through this disease with a loved one and learned a bunch the hard way. Keep your chin up you'll beat this shitt

Thanks man, I am all too familiar with the circumstances around you and your loved ones w/regard to cancer. Thank you for the advice, it is greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

See you weirdo's soon. 

Will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Get well soon brother and kick its a**. 

See you when you return! 

• Like 2

See you weirdo's soon. 

Hope you bounce back from this! No worries if you don't post much here, life ultimately comes first.

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 17
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 5/4, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Thanks man, I am all too familiar with the circumstances around you and your loved ones w/regard to cancer. Thank you for the advice, it is greatly appreciated.

If you need anything just pm me. I wish I could say or do something to make you feel better but speaking from experience the best medicine is staying positive and go into this with a fuckk you cancer attitude.
  • Like 1

See you weirdo's soon.

Praying for you

• Like 2

6 degrees too cold today for the Euro...terrible sign.  :(

I predict both of these will be wrong.

I think the 10/2 day on Wednesday is pretty much lock.   I am not sure about the rest.  

Pretty passable ECMWF run today! Talk about a monster snowstorm.  The way that thing plows into us straight the west would be very ideal for a number of reasons.  The ultimate hope is for an ECMWF / GFS blend though.  The GFS is going for a long period of cold and clear weather after any snow that falls, and some super cold temps for several days.  That ULL / PV in SW Canada gives this thing epic potential.  The amazing cold pool in SW BC is also going to be a huge factor as we get into this.

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The first week of January 2017 is pretty underrated IMO. I think a similar solution would be a little more than I am expecting from the upcoming pattern. One of the limiting factors with that event was a total lack of cold air on this side of the pole. 

• Like 4

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

The first week of January 2017 is pretty underrated IMO. I think a similar solution would be a little more than I am expecting from the upcoming pattern. One of the limiting factors with that event was a total lack of cold air on this side of the pole. 

Was more than decent for the Willamette Valley. Ice storm/east windstorm for PDX, snowstorm for many areas south.

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"