Part II- January 2020 Obs and Discussion

snow_wizard

One thing to watch for Wednesday evening/night is the fact the GFS wants to bullseye some fairly decent frontogenesis over the metro area as it encounters the low level outflow. Can’t hurt despite the splitty nature of the system.

• Like 2

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Yes. The MJO becomes unfavorable for a few weeks but mid-February presents another opportunity.

Something something sun angles.

Looking forward , one thing I’m really hoping for this year is a cold and wet spring. Especially the mid to late part of the spring. We are so overdue.

• Like 2

I really no want to relive last night again please! 

I feel confident you will not have too.. I am with you, last night was brutal! NO... SUCKED just watching it all fizzle and go away. This setup is much better for us and IS NOT convergence zone centric but more moisture spinning in over us centric. WAY better! :) Lets see where we are 6 or 7 hours from now. ;)

• Like 1

I feel confident you will not have too.. I am with you, last night was brutal! NO... SUCKED just watching it all fizzle and go away. This setup is much better for us and IS NOT convergence zone centric but more moisture spinning in over us centric. WAY better! :) Lets see where we are 6 or 7 hours from now. ;)

We all should have known it was not going to make it south. I certainly wasn't anticipating it although I was watching i knew it'd fizzle. We've all been watching the c-zones for years it's a rare occurrence when it drops south of seattle. Either way it's our turn soon.
  • Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Lol, I agree this would be far better for us!  Perhaps I take a nap now

• Like 1

This does have 2012 or 1996 feel to it with regards to crazy temperature gradient from south west bc compared to Washington and Oregon.

1996 and 2012 were good for snow here in Oregon though.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Stop it!

:P

• Like 1

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

We all should have known it was not going to make it south. I certainly wasn't anticipating it although I was watching i knew it'd fizzle. We've all been watching the c-zones for years it's a rare occurrence when it drops south of seattle. Either way it's our turn soon.

I had my eye on the modified arctic front! Expecting it to have a little punch as it dropped through our area.  Worth waiting up for but sucked when it just decided to meander about.  

• Like 2

One thing to watch for Wednesday evening/night is the fact the GFS wants to bullseye some fairly decent frontogenesis over the metro area as it encounters the low level outflow. Can’t hurt despite the splitty nature of the system.

1-10-17?

• Like 1

I had my eye on the modified arctic front! Expecting it to have a little punch as it dropped through our area.  Worth waiting up for but sucked when it just decided to meander about.

good thing these next couple days have some decent chances for snow. I do think tonight might be our best night though.
  • Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Dec 96....not Jan 96

Yeah, Dec was decent for the Portland area. Not snow, but certainly with winter weather. Lots of cold, east wind, and freezing rain.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

My coworker just said it is 'Ice raining', so that's how my workday is going. 

• Like 3

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

Silver spring. “Used to” maybe be a bit of an exaggeration but compared to here it’s way less of a struggle to get moisture when the cold air arrives or is already in place.

Ha, man you were like 8 miles from me. That’s nuts!

• Like 1

Hard to believe with all the models technology a surprise snowfall can show up within 24hrs. Gfs looks good for Portland also.

This is why I laugh at the winter cancel comments and meltdowns.

We have no idea what is going to happen in FOUR hours.

Pick your favorite beverage or smoke-able and enjoy the evening unfolding.

*yeah, I know its early.   :D

Something something sun angles.

Looking forward , one thing I’m really hoping for this year is a cold and wet spring. Especially the mid to late part of the spring. We are so overdue.

It’s possible for sure, though in this particular year a wet/zonal spring might be followed by a hot summer given the nature of the system state that would produce said outcome.

If this spring isn’t cool/wet, there are probably a crapload of them in the pipeline down the road for other reasons, as one (or both) of the major low frequency ocean/atmosphere oscillations (PDO/AMO/etc) is likely to flip sharply by 2021/22 with the ENSO phase shift that occurs. This is assuming the “worst case” progression from here and that 2020/21 is a moderate El Niño.

I am not trying to pull a Snowwiz but I have a very strong feeling the entire puget sound is going to get some serious decent snow tonight. This setup is excellent for us, and current radar images match what the NAM is showing perfectly at this hour. IT IS COMING PUGET SOUNDERS.. Even the swamp should get in on this one!

I can't help but seeing this in my mind with Buddy the elf saying it with a huge grin plastered on his face.

"IT IS COMING PUGET SOUNDERS:"  Jumping up and down and clapping.

• Like 1

It’s possible for sure, though in this particular year a wet/zonal spring might be followed by a hot summer given the nature of the system state that would produce said outcome.

If this spring isn’t cool/wet, there are probably a crapload of them in the pipeline down the road for other reasons, as one (or both) of the major low frequency ocean/atmosphere oscillations (PDO/AMO/etc) is likely to flip sharply by 2021/22 with the ENSO phase shift that occurs. This is assuming the “worst case” progression from here and that 2020/21 is a moderate El Niño.

BIG CHANGES ON THE HORIZON.

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Suddenly getting nuked by big wet flakes. Had been stuck in a drizzle/graupel limbo all day to this point. 

• Like 1

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

Alright all you South Sound, waiting-up-for-snow-that-never-came-so-now-im-sleep-deprived folks (looking at you luvssnow, jgin, tacomawx), let's not count our chickens before they hatch!

This is a pretty new development. Can go either way. Very encouraging signs, but we won't know until we know. Should become more apparent one way or the other by 7PM. If by then things are looking good, then count all the d*mn chickens!   ;)

I’m expecting 3 feet at least☃️⛄
  • Like 2