September 2023 Weather in the PNW

TigerWoodsLibido

28 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Told you Phil giving a ballpark nod to the GFS last night would doomed this scenario. ;) 

This is shittier than a Lainey Wilson song.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Mostly sunny and 72 with a few puffy clouds floating around.   Days like this make make me so angry.    Summer is evil and needs to die.  Horrific out there with room temperature air and deep blue sky.  I think l will cheer loudly for troughing thousands of miles away.     Will that help @Phil?   😀

• Facepalm 2
  • Spam 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2 hours ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

I'm just curious for my garden. Right now the low says 45, but we usually run 5-6 degrees below the stated low on clear nights. That puts us right in the threshold. 

How much snow do you get per year? Gotta be at least 50.

5 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

How much snow do you get per year? Gotta be at least 50.

Unfortunately, no. In my 6 winters here we have averaged right around 25". Best winter was 2018-2019, 64" that year. 

• Like 4

PWS: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWAPORTA220

2023-2024 Snow Total: 18" (6 events)

10 minutes ago, T-Town said:

I imagine you do well in the Fraser outflow strait effect snow situations. 

I remember one year Port Angeles was buried in that type of situation... his area must have been crazy with that event.   Don't remember what year that was but it must have been before he moved there.

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

15 minutes ago, T-Town said:

I imagine you do well in the Fraser outflow strait effect snow situations. 

Those provide peak events. I have seen 2 good ones so far. 32" and 18" in less than 12 hours

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I remember one year Port Angeles was buried in that type of situation... his area must have been crazy with that event.   Don't remember what year that was but it must have been before he moved there.

1993, PA got 3 feet of snow. We basically matched that event in Feb 2019

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

1993, PA got 3 feet of snow. We basically matched that event in Feb 2019

That would not be the year I am thinking of since we didn't live here in 1993.    Maybe I am remembering 2019.

17 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Port Angeles had snowstorms where they got upwards of 18" in  both Feb 2019 and Jan 2020. Both in upslope situations with the Fraser River outflow.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

That would not be the year I am thinking of since we didn't live here in 1993.    Maybe I am remembering 2019.

Sorry it was 1996. Since then we have had the two events @BLI snowman is referencing and a few medium events. When PA gets 18-20" I usually get 30+

https://www.peninsuladailynews.com/news/white-christmas-week-snowstorm-of-1996-remembered-20-years-later/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

Sorry it was 1996. Since then we have had the two events @BLI snowman is referencing and a few medium events. When PA gets 18-20" I usually get 30+

https://www.peninsuladailynews.com/news/white-christmas-week-snowstorm-of-1996-remembered-20-years-later/

Ahhh yes... I remember hearing lots of stories about the 1996 event on Vancouver Island and around Port Angeles.

43 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

GFS caves to the mighty euro.  will you people ever learn?

Tbf, there were instances last month that the GFS performed slightly better. But we are now in a transitioning phase, so the GFS may have been a tad too aggressive and volatility is expected.  case in point, the 18z is now back to showing wet for W.Wa for the same period that it took away the rain on its last run. Hard to say it caves to anything. 

I will say, it’s probably about this time of the year where the I feel like the Euro will start to pull ahead.

trend-gfs-2023091318-f168.qpf_acc-imp.us_nw 2.gif

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Ahhh yes... I remember hearing lots of stories about the 1996 event on Vancouver Island and around Port Angeles.

1996 was probably the craziest weather event of my life and I lived in Renton at the time. Snow, ice, and snow to AR in the span of a few days. 

7 hours ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

Kids don't really learn anything in school these days anyway. Our school systems are terrible across the country for a variety of reasons. 

Grade school is glorified babysitting.

• Downvote 1

5 hours ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

You wish.

CFS is trash. (IIRC) it is being decommissioned at some point before the close of this decade.

1 hour ago, Phishy Wx said:

GFS caves to the mighty euro.  will you people ever learn?

Did it though?

43 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Tbf, there were instances last month that the GFS performed slightly better. But we are now in a transitioning phase, so the GFS may have been a tad too aggressive and volatility is expected.  case in point, the 18z is now back to showing wet for W.Wa for the same period that it took away the rain on its last run. Hard to say it caves to anything. 

I will say, it’s probably about this time of the year where the I feel like the Euro will start to pull ahead.

trend-gfs-2023091318-f168.qpf_acc-imp.us_nw 2.gif

Whenever the GFS and the Euro profoundly disagree about something, the outcome is almost always far closer to the what the Euro models.

• Like 3
It's called clown range for a reason.

2 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Whenever the GFS and the Euro profoundly disagree about something, the outcome is almost always far closer to the what the Euro models.

True. But in this case the operational ECMWF had been diverging significantly from the EPS mean, which is a red flag IMO.

• Like 2

82F and sunny. Another beautiful day.

• Excited 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

1 hour ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

I was living in Shoreline then and got well over 20" at my place in 1996. Bellingham got 4' and Victoria got 5'.

Dang... I am surprised we don't bring up that year more often tbh. Does anybody have a map of the results from that storm so I can look? I was born in 99 so I never saw it.

4 hours ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

Unfortunately, no. In my 6 winters here we have averaged right around 25". Best winter was 2018-2019, 64" that year. 

You must have done really good in the Jan 2020 event. Downtown Port Angeles got like 18 inches from that.

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

21 minutes ago, ChristheElohim said:

Isn’t that the second time this season that he’s made that call?

Answer: Yup.

https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2023/08/meteorological-autumn-starts-today.html?m=1

• Like 1
  • lol 1
It's called clown range for a reason.