Interesting discussion from Pendleton NWS.  Pretty technical, and I don't understand all of it.  I am pretty much neutral in the Oregon vs Washington debate, since I get more snow than anyone in the forum from Washington or Oregon (A1Tahoe definitely gets more than all of us).  I would love to see the northern solution, but would be happy for the Oregon posters if it goes there.  Anyway . . .

Guidance is in good agreement with the active pattern through the 
weekend before a respite arrives early in the workweek, but 
differences in the upper trough's strength and path arise regarding 
the Friday and Saturday systems. The GFS is weaker and more north 
for both systems, which pushes Friday's system more north into 
Washington and Saturday's system right through the Pacific 
Northwest. This provides a wetter, warmer, and windier outcome with 
the GFS than the ECWMF. 
These discrepancies are visualized via the 500mb EOF Patterns, which show a 50-60% ensemble variance regarding strength and location of both synoptic features. 

Analyzing both the cluster 500 mb heights and cluster phase space provides additional confidence in the GFS scenario as more ensemble members align with the GFS outcome and the deterministic solution is better represented by the ensemble mean. Thus, the NBM was utilized through the extended period to provide an appropriately weighted scenario, with the expectation of a slight trend to wetter/snowier conditions and warmer temperatures over future runs
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • scream 1

3 minutes ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

Interesting discussion from Pendleton NWS.  Pretty technical, and I don't understand all of it.  I am pretty much neutral in the Oregon vs Washington debate, since I get more snow than anyone in the forum from Washington or Oregon (A1Tahoe definitely gets more than all of us).  I would love to see the northern solution, but would be happy for the Oregon posters if it goes there.  Anyway . . .

the GFS than the ECWMF. 
These discrepancies are visualized via the 500mb EOF Patterns, which show a 50-60% ensemble variance regarding strength and location of both synoptic features. 

Analyzing both the cluster 500 mb heights and cluster phase space provides additional confidence in the GFS scenario as more ensemble members align with the GFS outcome and the deterministic solution is better represented by the ensemble mean. Thus, the NBM was utilized through the extended period to provide an appropriately weighted scenario, with the expectation of a slight trend to wetter/snowier conditions and warmer temperatures over future runs

Very interesting. 🤔 

• Excited 1

7 minutes ago, NorthBend RainEnthusiast said:

Power was out here for a few hours, looks like the east side of North Bend is still without power. Exciting weather isn't just coming, it's here!

at tim's house?

35 minutes ago, Kayla said:

We've got ourselves a good'ol fashioned OR and WA forum showdown!

I'm Sounders 'til I die

I'm Sounders 'til I die

I know I am, I'm sure I am I

I'm Sounders 'til I die

image.png.8807cfbeb00c9bb761a56a6b1a003418.png

• Sick 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, North_County said:

I feel like we've been talking about this weekend's possible event for like 6 weeks now. 

All started last Thursday. Will be almost as long before the event actually arrives.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

14 minutes ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

the GFS than the ECWMF. 

Sounds like they have more faith in the GFS

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, SeanNyberg said:

my God, this forum has devolved into the worst of the worst. It's always emotional and reactionary in here, but it seems that the rational and seasoned members have pulled back to make way for the kids.

I'm going to step back for the day too. It's just too much uninformed nonsense.

I am excited for a lot of you guys, because it seems like this is your first time tracking a PNW winter storm. I remember my first time.

Do you have any examples? Seems all pretty lighthearted

• Like 5
  • Facepalm 1

01/11/24 CZ: 400' in south Lynnwood

Does the NWS usually favor the Euro or GFS in a model showdown? I know we have the NBM which is good. Just didn't know if they have shown a preference in the past in the PNW or given them equal weight.

5 minutes ago, umadbro said:

Apologies people can’t be as smart and as well informed as you are. 

as for the “worst of the worst”. It doesn’t seem any different than any other event.

but you clearly know best.

My farts don't stink.

• Like 1
  • scream 1

A forum for the end of the world.

2 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

Does the NWS usually favor the Euro or GFS in a model showdown? I know we have the NBM which is good. Just didn't know if they have shown a preference in the past in the PNW or given them equal weight.

Which one is the Euro on pivotal weather?

Weather! Atmospheric conditions

3 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

They use the NBM I think which favors the GFS.

PWS: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWAPORTA220

2023-2024 Snow Total: 18" (6 events)

13 minutes ago, SeanNyberg said:

my God, this forum has devolved into the worst of the worst. It's always emotional and reactionary in here, but it seems that the rational and seasoned members have pulled back to make way for the kids.

I'm going to step back for the day too. It's just too much uninformed nonsense.

I am excited for a lot of you guys, because it seems like this is your first time tracking a PNW winter storm. I remember my first time.

621BCBC6-83DD-48B3-AD06-0906A5618477.png.f5e5493db52a58cfc40171c939ba1a67.png

• Like 2
  • lol 6

(Previous name: MillCreekMike)

Everett, WA (elev. 180’)

2023-2024 Snowfall:

1/11: Tr.

1/18: Tr.

Go M’s

4 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Your overbearing need to try and preach and tell people how to feel or interpret things is kind of annoying honestly. The forum is fine the way it is. We don’t need your long monologues anyways. 

THANK YOU BROTHER!!!

• Like 8
  • Popcorn 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

4 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Your overbearing need to try and preach and tell people how to feel or interpret things is kind of annoying honestly. The forum is fine the way it is. We don’t need your long monologues anyways. 

It's the moral grandstanding for me 😭 

• Like 2
  • lol 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

6 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

I said this 4 days ago and he attacked me saying i had no hope and knew nothing. I let it go because i didn't care.

• Like 3
  • lol 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

4 minutes ago, Olive1010 said:

Does anyone think there'll be accumulating snow down to the valley snow? Or just some slush

Tonight? Probably a thump of heavy wet snow down to the sea level wherever that heavy band sets up (probably PDX metro). These situations are fairly dynamic lift-wise so precip rates will be high on the north side of the strengthening low. Just depends on how fast it starts sticking.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"