This was the calm beginning of a crazy band about 30 mins ago. Just a trace from overnight - for some reason thought we’d be further along - but hot D**n it’s coming down. Will suit up and try to get some pics as we progress…but it’s effing cold out there!! ☕❄️ 

• Like 4

Portland | Raleigh Hills/West Sylvan | 350’

”All models are wrong, some are useful.”

-G. Box

1 hour ago, MossMan said:

I’m about ready to sell both vehicles and go back to 1990’s SUV and truck. Headlights were a 5 minute change in those vehicles I had back then. 

And I tried to figure out how to get Peacock on my tv but it’s over 10yrs old now and doesn’t have that app, and my Amazon fire stick is telling me I can’t put that app in my shopping cart…I might need to stream it on my phone I don’t know. 

What has this world come to!!! 

I’m going back to these…I am informing my wife of that when she wakes up!! 

IMG_1829.jpeg

IMG_1830.jpeg

IMG_1831.jpeg

IMG_1832.jpeg

There is a pristine mid 1980's Amc eagle here in town driven by an old lady with less than 20k miles that makes me feel all kinds of things. lol 

My son just reported in from 7,000 feet at the summit of Crystal Mountain and said its calm and feels warmer than it did in Seattle.   Thought it would be a horrible day for skiing but actually might be decent.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

3 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Average them all and it looks pretty darn good for Olympia north

But the average is probably not going to be what happens in this case with so much spread.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

Latest HRRR says it’s still snowing over PDX Mteory at 8pm tonight. We got a good 12 hours or so of constant snowfall! 🌨️☃️

IMG_2864.thumb.png.129a869ddbb3e56d8e9753616acefe28.png

What are the Portland NWS Mets thinking right now? 😂

• Like 2
  • bongocat-test 1

Location 850’ NW Hills in Portland

15, snowing hard, wind chill -3. All time cold for me in town, feels like a crazy day on Hood. Really hope the power holds on most of the day, firewood is prepped at least 🔥 

• Like 8

Portland | Raleigh Hills/West Sylvan | 350’

”All models are wrong, some are useful.”

-G. Box

1 minute ago, Doinko said:

Latest HRRR barely changes over to sleet for me. It shows 8" of snow here
snku_acc-imp.us_nw.png

That's the most we could get if we stay in snow mode, really gusty rn

• Like 2

Weather! Atmospheric conditions

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

My son just reported in from 7,000 feet at the summit of Crystal Mountain and said its calm and feels warmer than it did in Seattle.   Thought it would be a horrible day for skiing but actually might be decent.

Screenshot_20240113_092409_Chrome.jpg

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Just slightly different today! Unless you are Chris as he is probably wearing shorts today anyway. 

IMG_1842.jpeg

Edited by MossMan
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

11 minutes ago, SnowWillarrive said:

I’ll be livid if we go straight to rain after all this record cold 😆

At least you won't be livid alone. 😀

11 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Way too early to tell what’s going to happen mid week. Really not expecting anything but we will see. Will probably get some freezing rain. 

Things change for sure, but there are two truths we do know.

1. If the GFS is by itself at this range and it shows something interesting for Seattle, usually it doesn't pan out that way. Take, for example, the system today as modeled 5 days ago by the GFS.

2. There are always last minute north trends, big or small. 

I don't want to speculate too much yet because the models are going to flip flop until Tuesday, but my gut says the most likely outcome is a freezing rain storm a la 2022. 

9 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Very well then: freezing rain it is.

You’re welcome.

Absolutely the antithesis of glee-ridden at the thought but probably not incorrect.

4 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Just slightly different today! Unless you are Chris as he is probably wearing shorts today anyway. 

IMG_1842.jpeg

We all know what was about to hit though.   A warm January delivered a crazy February.   

• Shivering 1