January Weather In The PNW 2024 (Part III) - The Warming Shot

iFred

1 minute ago, Phil said:

You want ZR? Are you a masochist?

I like all exciting out of the norm (47 degree warm front drizzle for days on end) weather! So yes! 

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1
  • bongocat-test 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

1 minute ago, bainbridgekid said:

Down to 31 with freezing rain here. Cars starting to glaze over and the driveway was noticably slippery walking around. Still also some puddles and a liquid layer on top of the ice forming.

I've hardly ever experienced ZR so it's an interesting experience at this less impactful level.

You are wrong and clearly do not know what you are talking about.  Cliff Mass says so.

• bongocat-test 1

21 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yeah and if/when it does get vertically stacked that usually denotes occlusion. Mid-latitude cyclones aren’t like hurricanes, where vertical alignment is prerequisite for rapid strengthening. If anything it’s the opposite.

Those WxBell “L” symbols are useful for tracking mature(ing) tropical systems. Meaningless for middle latitude cyclones, though.

What was your final total for snow?

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

2 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

I bet it snows here tomorrow. I'm definitely noticing a southward shift compared to model guidance. Lows like these can compound errors fast if models are biased against or towards a steady rate of strengthening.

You are getting snow tomorrow... count on it.   That is 100% serious.

• Like 6
  • scream 3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2 minutes ago, Hawksfan2008 said:

90% rain. 

Ugggh.    Looks like precip might let up soon though.  

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

30.2 and everything is coated here now.

• Like 2
  • Shivering 2
  • bongocat-test 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

5 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

Low quality image (thanks iPhone) but already a layer of ice on everything. However I believe in Cliff Mass since he said there is no way freezing rain is possible and I shouldn’t look outside🤣

IMG_8488.jpeg

This guy is so out of touch lmao 

• lol 1

2 minutes ago, MossMan said:

I like all exciting out of the norm (47 degree warm front drizzle for days on end) weather! So yes! 

Given how fragile your power grid is, I think that’s analogous to someone in Oklahoma rooting for a tornado.

Good luck, brother!

• Excited 2

Just now, RentonHill said:

Cliff gonna have a big long blog post tomorrow explaining how he was "right" because downtown never saw freezing rain and blah blah blah blah the haters tried to get him again but failed etc etc

#fakefreeze #oldmanwinter

• lol 5
  • scream 1

Just now, RentonHill said:

Cliff gonna have a big long blog post tomorrow explaining how he was "right" because downtown never saw freezing rain and blah blah blah blah the haters tried to get him again but failed etc etc

I have no idea what he was thinking.  He knows evaporative cooling is a thing.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

You are getting snow tomorrow... count on it.   That is 100% serious.

Yeah that low is juuuuuust starting to hook north, but it's far too late. This is a Jim-style bust and I wouldn't be surprised if the forecast deteriorates rapidly for the poor folks at the NWS tonight.

VERY interesting situation.

• Like 6

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Given how fragile your power grid is, I think that’s analogous to someone in Oklahoma rooting for a tornado.

Good luck, brother!

I am set up to be just fine off the grid for quite a while if needed. 

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

3 minutes ago, RentonHill said:

Perhaps that's what he really meant?

• Like 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

Temperatures:

Just now, Meatyorologist said:

Yeah that low is juuuuuust starting to hook north, but it's far too late. This is a Jim-style bust and I wouldn't be surprised if the forecast deteriorates rapidly for the poor folks at the NWS tonight.

The Oregon coast low is not the low for tomorrow.  That thing cruises across Oregon tonight.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I have no idea what he was thinking.  He knows evaporative cooling is a thing.

Verbatim this is a fairly borderline sounding, though. Maybe things work differently in the PNW w/rt low level advection, but this would never culminate in a severe ice storm in my region. Too easy to mix out.

IMG_9696.png

• Like 1

Just now, Meatyorologist said:

At least they put out that advisory. Some local community colleges cancelled evening classes based on that warning, which is good because those students weren't driving home in this. 

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

The Oregon coast low is not the low for tomorrow.  That thing cruises across Oregon tonight.  

oh you're right..

• Like 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

Temperatures:

Just now, Frontal Snowsquall said:

Wow it looks like it’s headed for a Central Oregon Coast landfall.

Yea!! Normally when it goes there the east winds don't let up which keeps pumping out cold air to the Portland area and especially my area. The temperature is 20.7° degrees. It was almost 19 at one point. We'll see what happens tomorrow morning. I'm getting some sleep, night. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ken in Wood Village said:

Since the low seems to be moving in South of Portland, I see the East winds staying longer and not really getting a South wind. I think I'm going to be in the ice box for awhile 🤔 

G18_sector_wus_band09_24fr_20240117-0018.gif

Reaction GIF

Icing up everywhere, still no power at the house - so done with this event. These wind storms with some adjacent frozenish precipitation are no fun.

• Excited 1
  • Sad 6
  • Sick 1

Portland | Raleigh Hills/West Sylvan | 350’

”All models are wrong, some are useful.”

-G. Box

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Verbatim this is a fairly borderline sounding, though. Maybe things work differently in the PNW w/rt low level advection, but this would never culminate in a severe ice storm in my region.

IMG_9696.png

I think everyone would agree that it’s borderline. The problem is that we don’t treat our side roads and have hills so the last time we had maybe a quarter inch of ice in Seattle the parked cars started spontaneously sliding down hills and crashing into each other. So even 0.1” with our frozen ground is going to cause crashes. 

• Like 2
  • Excited 1

4 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

A secondary low is shown forming off of the NW Washington coast.  Or at least that’s what the models are seeing. That low headed for Oregon was never going to Make it that far north. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Verbatim this is a fairly borderline sounding, though. Maybe things work differently out there, but this would never culminate in a severe ice storm in my region.

IMG_9696.png

This isn’t a severe ice storm like last winter. That was quite severe. Currently the roads were treated nicely last few days so i dont expect that to be an issue. Untreated surfaces however is getting a little bit of coating

2 minutes ago, the_convergence_zone said:

I think everyone would agree that it’s borderline. The problem is that we don’t treat our side roads and have hills so the last time we had maybe a quarter inch of ice in Seattle the parked cars started spontaneously sliding down hills and crashing into each other. So even 0.1” with our frozen ground is going to cause crashes. 

Whoever makes those decisions sounds like an incompetent buffoon.

• Like 1