January Weather In The PNW 2024 (Part III) - The Warming Shot

iFred

1 minute ago, Front Ranger said:

Miracle of miracles - Randy scores.

Guess I will take what I can get in a strong El Niño…So close to epicness this last week though 

• Like 4

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

2 minutes ago, Slushy Inch said:

Some slush. Again it had zero falling for me.

I wish pivotal had hourly frames for the precip maps...i think weatherbell ones can be a bit funky. Pivotal at 10am shows an area of mix pretty close to your area. Maybe the Euro is back to being the conservative one on precip types. 

prateptype_cat_ecmwf-imp.us_state_wa.thumb.png.891f62ab4fb3bcacad8698fc894b8698.png

ecmwf-deterministic-seattle-instant_ptype_1hr-5514400.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, snow_wizard said:

I have to admit seeing Whatcom County get hit like this today hurts a bit.  They are on such a roll up there.  No doubt it's Seattle's turn now.  However, when you consider we just got hit really good in Dec 2021, and did ok last winter it goes to show how great this decade has been so far.

I'm still in awe at the 10/3 BLI put up last week. Coldest January high in history, beating out a lot of great events.

For cold records this century, that's right up there with the -10 EUG put up on 12/8/13 and the 5 OLM saw on 2/26/11.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

I noticed if you look at the komo 4 radar and zoom in you can see ice on some inlets over the puget sound. It shows it near the ship yard and bremerton and when i drove over near there it had ice like the map showed.

• Like 4

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Snow is slacking off at work so I’m going to run home and play with the kids and dogs in it before it flash melts 

• Like 7

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

1 minute ago, Front Ranger said:

I'm still in awe at the 10/3 BLI put up last week. Coldest January high in history, beating out a lot of great events.

For cold records this century, that's right up there with the -10 EUG put up on 12/8/13 and the 5 OLM saw on 2/26/11.

It really is amazing how many places escaped a dump of snow. Many things had to go just right for it to happen. But as with most cold spells i will get snow tomorrow with the real warm up lol.

• Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

10 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Up to 31.1 with some drippage increasing. So close. Over 1/2" now on the plants and cars. 

Same here. 31 after a low of 24 set just after midnight. There is a half inch or so of glaze on everything.

• Like 6

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

22 minutes ago, the_convergence_zone said:

The Euro is usually right, unless it shows no snow at Randy's house. Then it is wrong every time. 

I can ban him too for his unrealistic demands of our climate and his weenie reign of terror that is damaging to the community.

• Popcorn 1
  • scream 1
  • Shivering 1

6 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Three! We have three! Three winters in a row featuring double-digit snowstorms!

Just had a super heavy burst of snow move through. Now up to 11.2". 31.5˚F.

That's wild. Wonder when the last time that happened in Vancouver...maybe 2006-2009? Other possibilities are 1995-98 or 1979-82. Maybe not since the early 1950s.

• Like 2

A forum for the end of the world.

47 minutes ago, LowerGarfield said:

The silliest one is the last day of school when districts start at 8am (or whenever) and "end at 10am" thing.

Our last day is a MONDAY (June 24th 🤢🤢) and ends at 11:30. Wish we'd make today's snow day the next Tuesday but instead we changed our 4-day Presidents Day weekend to a 3-day one. Super dumb.

• Sad 1

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

Just now, Front Ranger said:

That's wild. Wonder when the last time that happened in Vancouver...maybe 2006-2009? Maybe not since the early 1950s.

I’m in the eastern part of the city near the summit of a ridge, so I have the advantage of elevation and being inland against the official airport reporting station, so it is easier to make this sort of score IMBY. In fact, I don’t think the airport reported a 25+ cm snowfall in the winter of 21/22.

It's called clown range for a reason.

3 minutes ago, iFred said:

I hate how quickly I find joy in cold and snowy weather. My wife once asked me if I loved snow more than her. The pregnant pause in my response was enough for her to give me the silent treatment for the rest of the night.

I didn't even pause. The answer was yes. 

• Like 2

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

Cold rain and 34. Finally above freezing and the great melt off has begun. Going to take a while for the ground to warm up, though, especially with the snow cover. Have had snow on the ground since Saturday and what's here is going to take another day to melt off - not a bad run at all.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Three! We have three! Three winters in a row featuring double-digit snowstorms!

Just had a super heavy burst of snow move through. Now up to 11.2". 31.5˚F.

It's seriously impressive how much better Vancouver can do compared to every other lowland location south of the border. I would move there in a heartbeat if work and geopolitical boundaries allowed it. Know any Canadians who will sell me their marriage so I can have citizenship?

• Like 1
  • lol 2

3 minutes ago, Groundhog said:

No official measurement yet as it’s still coming down. It’s over a foot by my guess. I’ll do that once it stops. Kids and I were out in it for a couple hours. 

IMG_3974.jpeg

Where are you out of again? I'll just update your profile with location.