PNW January 2022, Contact Info for Phil

The Blob

1 hour ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

I was hoping you would check in.  I used to live up there and that area can flat out get crazy. In 2012 we got 23 inches one night from 9pm to 7am. There was 35 on the ground. What is the total depth?

@MR.SNOWMIZER it quickly condensed but I would say close to 30” depth now after last night. Love it up here wish I could spend a few more days!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Glad you didn’t roll the dices with the passes @TacomaWaWxlook like I-90 has been shutdown both directions since early this morning and no updates on when they’ll reopen. 

My brothers still over there have no idea when he will be home. Super glad I just flew into Everett instead. 

• Like 2

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Haven’t had much luck with any showers so far…but I think our chances are pretty good that we see something at some point with SW flow. 

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Excellent article about why the models were mostly wrong with Seattle area snow last night.  And why the NWS was mostly right, though they did make a few adjustments.  Has to do with east winds and the low resolution of the models.

Meatyorologist has a mention in there if you look closely.

Why did most weather models incorrectly predict snow in Seattle on Sunday night? – The Convergence Zone

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Cloud said:

It’s 39 at BFI and 41 at SEA. Still chilly by Seattle’s standard but last week’s arctic airmass is gone.

Only managed 37 here and stuff is already freezing up.  Still a fair amount of snow here.  The point I was making is this isn't the type of warmup we usually see after such a major cold event.  I was surprised people were surprised by snow today.  It's been mentioned we were going into another cold air mass behind the front.

Just got done chipping a path through the inch of solid ice on my driveway.  Lots of people are going to have snow on the ground for a long time.  In the case of places like North Bend they may not see bare ground until sometime in February.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

5 minutes ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

Excellent article about why the models were mostly wrong with Seattle area snow last night.  And why the NWS was mostly right, though they did make a few adjustments.  Has to do with east winds and the low resolution of the models.

Why did most weather models incorrectly predict snow in Seattle on Sunday night? – The Convergence Zone

😁image.thumb.png.bb1e5fb3cfadb6dcd1eaaf1b7a7e77fb.png

• Like 2

My Weather Station:  https://ambientweather.net/dashboard/b415ff35b2d13f00c899051028f04466 

Located in North Seattle, elevation ~150ft. Highest temperature ever recorded is 110.3, lowest is 14.5.

My Twitter

4 minutes ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

I think the NWS was more wrong for pretending like there was no chance anywhere would see snow.  Heavily populated areas saw pretty significant snowfall.  In my case it was cold enough for snow, but the cold air was too shallow.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

4 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

New WWA just posted for EPSL for 10PM tonight through 10AM tomorrow. 1-3 inches.

Seeing a Winter Storm Warning posted in your zone for 4-8 inch totals while you see nothing but cold, slushy rain is discomforting. Hopefully this area can get in on this next round tonight.

Dumping snow here right now. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

New WWA just posted for EPSL for 10PM tonight through 10AM tomorrow. 1-3 inches.

Seeing a Winter Storm Warning posted in your zone for 4-8 inch totals while you see nothing but cold, slushy rain is discomforting. Hopefully this area can get in on this next round tonight.

The ECMWF has been showing some action for us tonight.  Tomorrow night looks potentially even more interesting.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, SnowWillarrive said:

Dumping snow here right now. 

Where is here?

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

5 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Only managed 37 here and stuff is already freezing up.  Still a fair amount of snow here.  The point I was making is this isn't the type of warmup we usually see after such a major cold event.  I was surprised people were surprised by snow today.  It's been mentioned we were going into another cold air mass behind the front.

Just got done chipping a path through the inch of solid ice on my driveway.  Lots of people are going to have snow on the ground for a long time.  In the case of places like North Bend they may not see bare ground until sometime in February.

We still have some ice here as well on the road ways that has not been cleared. And the drive way where we had solid sheet of ice from the broken pipe few days back is still frozen solid. Mid-30s is still solidly cold to keep some of the ice around. I think the next few days we could see that remain intact.

56 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Welcome home! Now never leave Washington State again between November 15th and March 15th!! 

That is usually the best time to leave!    I try to never leave in the summer when the weather is so nice here.    Just my opinion of course.  

We had 2 weeks of warm sun in Hawaii and I still got more than my fill of cold and snow at this point.   😀

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, seattleweatherguy said:

Wonder if that will clip me

I suspect it will stay a bit too far south, but if it can develop more than I don't doubt it

My Weather Station:  https://ambientweather.net/dashboard/b415ff35b2d13f00c899051028f04466 

Located in North Seattle, elevation ~150ft. Highest temperature ever recorded is 110.3, lowest is 14.5.

My Twitter

Appreciating shoutout from Joe :)

Anyways, going to watch radar closely tonight, but may miss out on some snowfall bc today is the last day of winter break at NSC 😭

• Like 4

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

1 minute ago, gusky said:

KSEA temp drop with mix turning to snow.image.png.ee1e3856ae1654bfa193a4019fe2ea95.png

Pretty impressive drop for the middle of the afternoon... 925 temps are below zero again until Wednesday night or Thursday morning.

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

13 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

Have to keep a very close eye on this because EPSL is usually where it starts and if it’s cold enough and showers overperform, we could see an expansion into Seattle area. Have seen this multiple times. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gusky said:

KSEA temp drop with mix turning to snow.image.png.ee1e3856ae1654bfa193a4019fe2ea95.png

Bringing down some cold air from aloft.  Nice to see.

• Like 1
  • Snow 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

This is a very good trajectory for Seattle to OLM to see some action.  Could get interesting for sure.

• Like 3
  • Snow 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Snow is already frozen and crunchy here. 32.1. Couple inches tonight and maybe couple inches tomorrow night then probably 4-8 during the overrunning event.  If the winds stay calm it could actually remain snow here until FROPA, normally that's what happens. 

• Like 2

We come from the land of the ice and snow.