June 2017 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

What a weird convective progression on the 12z GFS. I'm not sure this makes sense, but we'll find out:

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs&region=global&pkg=chi200&runtime=2017060812&fh=144&xpos=0&ypos=339

Almost like the system refuses to enter a niño circulation, but won't touch a niña with a ten foot pole.

• Like 1

12Z ECMWF agrees on the ridge for late next week...

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/ecmwf/2017060812/ecmwf_z500aNorm_namer_10.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

By the time we actually get there, it wouldn't surprise me if that ridge morphs into a two day event. There's no real forcing for it that I can determine.

Sort of reminds me of the event last July, which also ended up being an artificial feedback loop in the modeling.

By the time we actually get there, it wouldn't surprise me if that ridge morphs into a two day event. There's no real forcing for it that I can determine.

Sort of reminds me of the event last July, which also ended up being an artificial feedback loop in the modeling.

Fake ridges in an era of fake news...

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

New JMA seasonal for the next month just released. Pretty much the expected background state.

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/1BF2BB13-0888-43D1-9A4A-CEB1C4219178_zpsoskjxidc.jpg

I can live with this.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

This has been happening recently... the heat wave over Memorial Day weekend was originally shown to last much longer than it really did and became watered down as the time approached.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I just need to survive the next 8 weeks then I'm out of here until September. It's always hot here in the summer, so it doesn't usually matter once the cold fronts stop coming in.

even a normal summer can be considered hot just from the high dewpoints in it self.we had a few summers where it wasn't all that hot temperature wise but the dewpoints and humidity were high all season long which made those summers just as bad if not worse as summers that were extremely hot temperature wise.those no summers can come close to the 2010-2012 periold those were summers from pure hell.

Got close to a couple storms today. Earlier a few CG's near K-Falls just to the east, now my west side sky is really dark. I hope I get something later.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Close to 1/2" of rain here this morning. Clouds are beginning to thin out as the west wind picks up. Very well could be the wettest day of the month.

Only about 1/3" of rain here, it cleared out a little earlier than forecast. Just clear skies and windy right now. A number of recent GFS runs have flirted with some heavier rains starting toward the end of next week, so maybe we'll get another shot.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2017060818/gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_nwus_32.png

Ended up with .74" at my house for the day, and still have some light rain falling.  Looks like the airport only recorded .47"

I haven't had much time to pay attention to the models or forecast, I knew it was going to rain a fair amount today, but it was a bit more of a blustery day than I was anticipating.

Turned out to be a really nice October day!   :D  :D  :D

Tough to expect much cooler than highs in the low 60s this time of year. 50s can still happen, of course, but is a lot harder to pull off than it was a couple weeks ago.

I don't think anyone mentioned highs in the 50s.

My comment was more referring to the duration.

In my 21 years of record, I've had a maximum in the 50s as late as June 20th.

Then no minimum maximums in the 50s until September 6th.

Tough to expect much cooler than highs in the low 60s this time of year. 50s can still happen, of course, but is a lot harder to pull off than it was a couple weeks ago.

• Like 1

Nevermind, I think the URL was just changed. Found them.

Seems all the ASOS stations are included.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/zoa/getobext.php?sid=KOAK

I like how NOAA's layout is similar to wunderground's table and graphical pages. Makes me feel like my own wx station data is actually worth something. B)

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMDBETHE62#history/tdata/s20170609/e20170609/mdaily

In the 7-10 period... yes indeed. :)

Cool and cloudy is my definition of summer perfection.

Any kind of cloudy, actually. Because sunny = hot.

• Like 1

Cool and cloudy is my definition of summer perfection.

Any kind of cloudy, actually.

Just depends on your perspective and climate you live in.   You have lots of sun over the remainder of the year.  I am guessing your preference would be different if you lived here where sunshine usually means 70s and 80s with low humidity in the summer and the rest of the year is typically cloudy and drizzly.     :)

Just depends on your perspective and climate you live in. You have lots of sun over the remainder of the year. I am guessing your preference would be different if you lived here where sunshine usually means 70s and 80s with low humidity in the summer. :)

And the rest of the year is typically cloudy and drizzly.

I'd probably enjoy it either way. What's the difference between sunny/75*F and cloudy/65*F? Both are very comfortable to be outdoors in.

Plus, you don't need as much sunscreen on cloudy days. Very easy to fry here (or anywhere, really) under the summer sun angles. I got a nasty burn last week after forgetting sunscreen for just 4hrs, and I'm used to the sun.

I'd probably enjoy it either way. What's the difference between sunny/75*F and cloudy/65*F? Both are very comfortable to be outdoors in.

Plus, you don't need as much sunscreen on cloudy days. Very easy to fry here (or anywhere, really) under the summer sun angles. I got a nasty burn last week after forgetting sunscreen for just 4hrs, and I'm used to the sun.

Big difference if you want to be on the water. ;)

Nice to have sun during a small part of the year rather than having it be rare year around.

You should move to Sitka AK if you want clouds and rain all year long.

Big difference if you want to be on the water. ;)

Nice to have sun during a small part of the year rather than having it be rare year around.

You should move to Sitka AK if you want clouds and rain all year long.

Well, I'll be on the water in BC during late July, after a few days in Seattle/Everett. So maybe I'll get to test your theory regarding the importance of sunshine.

Also, I'm pretty sure my current academic and career path(s) preclude Alaska as a place of residence for me. I'll probably move somewhere N/W of here. I'm just not sure where yet.

Big shift from the May tropical forcing. Looks like we do have an active MJO marked by a slew of CCKWs, so model performance will remain piss poor.

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/ventrice/real_time/timeLon/vp850.anom.30.5S-5N.gif